PDA

View Full Version : Why not Cardiff???

pipertommy
9th Nov 2004, 13:17
Why is Cardiff lacking airlines,routes ect.Most airports in Britain have news of major developments happening,but nothing at Cardiff.Just seems to be the same few routes are passed between carriers!Dont get get me wrong its a nice airport,but i guess thats not enough! Example the loss of of New York route to Bristol ?:confused:

taffman
9th Nov 2004, 14:21
Why dont they pull it down and build a real airport instead of the place that is full of stairs. The man who designed it must have had shares in a step building company. It rubbish and should be pulled down. I worked there and lived only 7 miles from the place. It was bad when it opened to replace the terminal across the runway and is even worse now. It took years, decades for them to build a ramp down into the sunken carpark to get a baggage trolly down to your car, let alone from the terminal building out to the stairs that took you down to the sunken carpark.

Why would people pay to cross the seven bridge to use an airport when they can get better flights from Bristol. Bristol has a much bigger catchment area than CWL. Just look at the place. Cardiff is only a short trip up the M4 to LHR & LGW. A train almost every half hour to London.

Cardiff airport is doomed to be a back water place and never a leader, just a feeder. The fares out of there are just sky high, lots of pun intended.

Think a bit first and then you will get the picture yourself.

Have a plane day

Taffman

speedbird_heavy
9th Nov 2004, 15:11
Cardiff has a major re-development in the pipeline. There is allready improvemnts to the rail and bus links being planned. Now the flying club has closed down, it would make sense to build a new "international" terminal southside and keep the current terminal for domestic/low cost flights instead of just tarting it up.

As for the New York route, TBI didn't push as hard as Bristol. All TBI played on was the length of the runway and sat back thinking that it would hand them the contract, whilst Bristol really made an effort and hats off to them, they won the contract.

pipertommy
9th Nov 2004, 15:22
Just have the feeling that the place is going backwards!When Bmi baby opened its base the airport changed over night,737`s in and out all day!went to 3 a/c from 2a/c now its back to 2 and a rumour of dropping to one 737! (the club is open again but now known as "Cardiff academy of aviation".Gutted the building and re-fitted it,excellent job!)

nickmanl
9th Nov 2004, 16:03
Cardiff are never going to be a major player whilst they are run by TBI. Everybody knows that TBI also owns Luton, which is their main focus airport. TBI is desperately trying to push Luton further in an attempt to break into the top 5 airpots in the UK. They have already sold other bits and pieces to raise the money to invest in Luton.

Perhaps when Luton is saturated (which could be one hell of a wait) they may focus on Cardiff, but I wouldn't hedge your bets on it.

MerchantVenturer
9th Nov 2004, 19:36
tommy

I have never worked in the business though civil aviation is an interest of mine, especially as it affects South Wales and South West England, because this is where I live and from where I want to travel. I tend to think of it as a combined region for air travel because CWL does have some flights that BRS does not - to Florida for example.

As to the EWR service there seemed to be a perception in Wales including the transport/aviation academics that CWL's longer runway would win the day - I read a paper from a Cardiff academic on this very theme several months ago.

As an outsider to the industry and thus taking a layman's view, I am surprised that CWL has lagged behind in recent years - they must be disappointed with bmibaby despite that airline's Tony Davis's fine words.

Surely somone must step in and try some of the current popular low cost destinations such as Barcelona and Budapest.

It has been said that developments are afoot at CWL including a railway connection, albeit opinion is divided amongst the 'experts' as to how effective this will be. At present I understand only hourly local trains will stop. The hope is to get the long distance trains to call there but if they did some think that the number of pax would not be significant. Only time will tell.

A hotel is being built next to the airport so that might help a bit. CWL does have piers from where you can walk straight onto the aircraft. BRS does not, even in the new terminal - the lie of the land and planning problems prevented this type of a/c access.

For many years in the 70s and 80s CWL and BRS had very similar pax numbers - it has only been in the past ten years that BRS has pulled ahead, and especially since 2001 with Go, later easyJet.

With Cardiff's position as Welsh capital and the influence/indirect financial backing of the Assembly and WDA, I cannot think there will not be some real improvement in CWL's fortunes.

Someone like ThomsonFly might well be looking and thinking that they could make a much better fist than bmibaby seems to have done.

Although my local airport and the one from which I invariably fly out of is BRS, I do have a soft spot for CWL and hope to see an improvement in services there very soon.

speedbird_heavy
9th Nov 2004, 20:43
CWL does have piers from where you can walk straight onto the aircraft

The airbridges need to be replaced. Apparently they are ex Birmingham Airport and have two axis of movement. Up and down and fore and aft. If an aircraft dosn't stop bang on the line, its call for the tug and push it back (and we all know how long it can take to find a tug driver at cardiff). But the best part about the airbridges is, they were designed to fit a 737 but CWL decided to put them on concrete blocks to raise them. They no longer fit on a 737 and this is the aircraft that operates most from CWL.

dada
9th Nov 2004, 21:17
why not cardiff - IT'S IN WALES. nuff said

kala87
9th Nov 2004, 22:17
Nickmanl: Luton is saturated already - with bizjets! Didn't they have 65 visiting on a recent day, many of them from the US?

Allanhu
10th Nov 2004, 00:23
I am a GA pilot flying out of Cardiff, and I do like Cardiff International Airport, after all, it is MY local airport. But, when it comes to family holiday's, and I like going to Italy, I cannot get a flight from Cardiff. The only options open to me are either Gatwick, or Bristol.

I have asked lots of people why this is, but none of them can answer the question. I want to support CWL, but if the flights I need, don't fly from CWL, what can I do??

No_Speed_Restriction
10th Nov 2004, 07:59
I must agree with Speebird_Heavy, The air bridges have definately seen better days. Also, use of southside for a new terminal would, in my opinion, be a sensible option. I always found that, for the physical size/looks of the airport from the outside, inside it doesnt offer the capacity/room it should give passengers.But thats my opinion.:confused:

speedbird_heavy
10th Nov 2004, 08:40
and I like going to Italy

I Cardiff's defence, EAC operate a weekly flight to Verona.

edited to say: during the summer season

nickmanl
10th Nov 2004, 14:59
kala87: Yes luton does have a lot of bizjets arriving, but they have got space for the bizjets, they don't take up parking space for the commercial liners. The runway at Luton can handle 30 movements per hour if needed.

Perhaps I should of said that TBI will focus on Luton (i.e. expanding it as much as they can etc) before they can expand no more.

Its only a night that Luton's stands are completely full with EasyJet and Ryanair not doing many night flights. Hopefully this problem will be eased when/if the temporary Easyjet tent is moved which will free up another 2 stands. There are also additional stands in the plans.

LTNman
10th Nov 2004, 15:17
2 new stands are under construction at LTN together with bringing stand 9L back into service for 737 use. With the move of the easyjet tent this will add a total of 5 new stands.

pipertommy
10th Nov 2004, 15:21
I think it would be hard to build on the south side because of the road link through rhoose(small village).How could you bypass that .Best bet would be to flatten it(as mentioned before),have stands/parking where the terminal is,and the terminal,not portercabins, on the car park area.Add some airlines some at the right prices.And the paxs will come. I`ll keep dreaming.:sad:

speedbird_heavy
10th Nov 2004, 17:18
Take the road down towatrds Llantwit past BAMC and bring the road in near the cement works. Very few houses and a lot of space for parking.

pipertommy
11th Nov 2004, 05:39
Good idea!Did`nt think of comming in from that side,probably work.And it would be the side for rail link? think a cash injection is required or cwl will suffer badly in the future.Or suffer more

flower
11th Nov 2004, 09:01
Designs for a new terminal building and a large increase in stands have already been drawn up. The terminal would remain North Side but further back from its current position. The current car parks would be altered to become multi-storey Car parks and there would be a new tower.
The designs on the face of it look good. There is however a problem in that the Airport Authority will not consider the development until ,we have heard , the airport has an annual turnover of at least 5 million Passengers.

The rail Link will no doubt help, a road link would help more. The marketing team at Bristol have really done an excellent job in selling Bristol, yes we don't have the same catchment area but I have no doubt should Cardiff acquire such a dynamic team we could considerably increase the services available at Cardiff then it would just be a matter of time before the impressive new terminal could be built.

pipertommy
11th Nov 2004, 10:42
Thats going to be a good few years off then,hope Air Wales employs a couple more ATR`S! New tower lucky you`s,what about the protacabin shantee town over the other side,forgotten about again!!!! only joking ! Think the next thing should be to rip down the domestic pier,what an eye soar .:O

flower
11th Nov 2004, 10:55
There was talk that the old domestic pier would be pulled down over last winter but as you see its still there. Part of the problem with that is Asbestos it is full of the stuff. It makes good sense especially with the 5 ATRs now operated by Air Wales to knock down that old pier and renumber the stands.
The asbestos issue though i think stands in the way.

speedbird_heavy
11th Nov 2004, 12:22
Or re-open the domestic pier for domestic flights. Direct access to stands 1,2,3 and 4 instead of using a bus from Gates 1, 3, 4, 6 or 7.

Or

Taxiway E is dormant most of the time so why not extend the apron that way allowing the terminal to be extended onto stand 1.

I can remember HF and CM showing me the plans earlier in the year for the re-development with the entire first floor as a departure lounge

No_Speed_Restriction
11th Nov 2004, 13:11
Flower, what are the chances of making stand 9 an air wales only stand?:E Am I lazy? yes ma`am!:ok:

newscaster
11th Nov 2004, 14:57
How many foreign airlines erve Cardiff? I had Emirates are evaluating them, any other potentails? US carriers? Air India, PIA, Gulf Traveller?

LTNman
11th Nov 2004, 15:13
Wait your turn boys, TBI have always been tight with their spending money and only spend it when they really need to. At the moment all their money is going into LTN as it will reach saturation next summer if money isn’t spent fast.

flower
11th Nov 2004, 15:26
The Emirates rumour has been around a long time but I have no more knowledge on it than anyone else I am sure.

aeulad
11th Nov 2004, 17:41
I would bet money on the fact that, like Continental, IF Emirates were to start a service from Bristol or Cardiff, Bristol would undoubtedly win. It is simple, there is more of a market at BRS for such a flight, and an EK 332 would have no problems operating from BRS' runway.

Regards

Mike

speedbird_heavy
11th Nov 2004, 20:41
what are the chances of making stand 9 an air wales only stand

Can you fit the airbidge on an ATR.......?

The only Emirates aircraft in recent times was a 744F to collect a spare jet engine.

No_Speed_Restriction
12th Nov 2004, 06:47
No, but think of the wear and tear you'd save on shoes as compared to walking stand 1. :E

speedbird_heavy
12th Nov 2004, 09:13
Kick Baby and Ryanair off stand 13. You can use gate one then;)

pipertommy
12th Nov 2004, 10:04
Could`nt Air Wales have the stand/s which myt have left empty, since they wont be based here over the winter.Only fare,if AW is cwl based.Think myt are just popping in and out over winter.It is daft having to watch a/c squeezing past each other when the other side of the airport is empty?or is this a cost implication.

loveJet
12th Nov 2004, 11:00
Cardiff doesnt have the same as other airports because

small catchment

difficult road access within wales

Limited in bound potential apart from New Zealand (!)

Bmibaby reductions

proximity to Bristol (which acts like a hoover for the local population)

More grade c, d, e demographic population

A, b, c1 tend to fly Low cost and more often so airports with either more catchment or smaller catchment but bigger a,b,c1 ratio makes sense ofr routes

ANYWAY Cardiff is fine at 1.9million (?) pax per annum, so whats the big fuss about?

Jet

speedbird_heavy
12th Nov 2004, 12:28
Could`nt Air Wales have the stand/s which myt have left empty

Not really. The VZ airbus's used stands 6 or 7 90% of the time because of the airbridges. Stand 6 is out of the question becasue there is no steps down to the apron. Stand 7 could be used but if there is a BY 757 on stand 9 an FCA 320 on 6 with a JKK 320 due in, the ATR would be hogging a stand with an airbridge which will be needed. AWW dominate stand 1 and they are happy with that.

Standard Noise
12th Nov 2004, 13:17
Don't wish more carriers on us at Brs, we have quite enough to be getting on with ta very much.:rolleyes:

terrier21
12th Nov 2004, 17:18
and there still coming

pipertommy
17th Nov 2004, 17:26
Can we have some ?loads of room trust me lots of empty space!:(