PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR Training

Glenavil
9th Nov 2004, 07:11
I wish to do my MER/CPL/IR on a Seneca aircraft. So far I have only found two schools that operate these aircraft, BFS and Tayflite. Does anyone know of any other? My reasoning for doing so is that I don't know of any air taxi operators using Duchess aircraft, but several use PA34 aircraft. I have Bristols CD which states that they have 5 senecas and two type specfic FNPT2 sims.Does anyone know how many Senecas Tayflite have and if their sim is type specific? By my reckoning, being realistic, with accommodation and food you will not get the three qualifications above for less than £21,000 all in, any comments. I have read the previous threads regarding these schools, however any new information from current students or recently qualified persons would be appreciated. Finally on the Bristol CD they say they have a first time pass rate of around 30% for the IR, how does this compare.

0-8
9th Nov 2004, 08:09
I can’t help you with the other questions, but Stapleford are another FTO that operate Senecas.

If you want to check them out, they are holding an open day on the 20th of November. I spoke to them at the recent Flyer exhibition and I was left with a very positive impression.

More details are up on their site www.flysfc.co.uk.

spitfire747
9th Nov 2004, 08:13
Carill Aviation at Southampton operate Senecas.

www.carillaviation.co.uk

I start my ME/IR with them on the 2nd Janurary

Spitty ;)

WX Man
9th Nov 2004, 09:52
http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp might help

MJR
9th Nov 2004, 10:14
try here!

www.aeros.co.uk

PM me if you want inside info.

cheers

MJR

dann1405
9th Nov 2004, 10:24
Flightpass at Exeter operate a Seneca for their ME/CPL/IR and FNPT2. Can recommend them and rates are very competitve. All their info is at: www.flightpass.co.uk

plumponpies
9th Nov 2004, 19:14
It shouldn't matter whether you do your training in a Seneca or a Duchess, any MEP aeroplane will do.
The MEP rating is not type specific, so it should make no difference when approaching Air taxi outfits for jobs, and unless you've got around 700 hours in your log book, an MEP rating gained on a Duchess or a Seneca won't matter a hoot!

JustAnotherVictim
9th Nov 2004, 19:34
Does anyone know how many Senecas Tayflite have and if their sim is type specific?

As far as I recall Tayflite have 2 Senecas, G-PEGI and another which I can't remember just now. Not 100% on the simulator, but I don't think it's type specific-FNPT2 or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Also, Oxford Air Training operate a fleet of Senecas for CPL/IR/ME ratings.

moggiee
9th Nov 2004, 19:52
The Flight Centre, Wolverhampton. (01384) 221477
www.hgfc.co.uk [email protected]

Glenavil
10th Nov 2004, 06:46
I thank you all for your replies and advice. To Plumonpies, the reasoning behind wanting the Seneca is that if you do all the training on it surely you will be type rated at the end of it, thus cheaper for you or an air taxi firm to take on.
I wish to tighten the criteria further and do the training at a CAA test centre field, thus no positioning flights. Therefore on what we have so far it leaves Flight Plus, Bristol and Tayflite. I am grateful for your comments.

Flypuppy
10th Nov 2004, 08:11
Glenavil,

You will gain a Multi Engine Piston Class Rating (MEP Land), which covers all light piston twins, including BE-76 Duchess, Cougar, Seneca, Seminole, Cessna 337 BN Islander etc etc.

There is no specific type rating for a Seneca.

As for air taxi work, for single pilot ops you will need a minimum of 700 hours.

If I were you I would look at the school that will teach you the most in the atmosphere that you feel most comfortable for the least amount of money.

silverknapper
10th Nov 2004, 08:56
Agreed

It won't make the slightest bit of difference to any firm what you train on. You won't be looking at air taxi work for a long time. And even then as puppy says you don't get a seneca type rating. Also an IR course is normally only 15 hrs in the aircraft. Plus 6 for the multi doesn't exactly stack up to vast amounts of experience.
For what it's worth from your list I would go to Bristol on what I've heard. They're reputation is very good, I know several who have gone there. I couldn't recomend Tayflite. I see lots of people go through there and not many do well.
But as everyone will tell you go visit them.

SK

englishal
10th Nov 2004, 10:45
And even then as puppy says you don't get a seneca type rating
No, but you will get "hours on type" which could be important with regards future employment and insurance requirements.

I have also heard it said that training in a turbo'd twin (Tayflite use the Seneca II?) is more valuable for low houred pilots as it teaches engine management from the word go - as opposed to firewalling / yanking back the throttles whenever you feel like it.

Truthmaster
10th Nov 2004, 13:21
Well aerodynamics-malaga.com are doing a 75 hr IR ME course for 10700 quid. I just did it and passed first time. Busy airport all IFR and great experience with trips to sevilla, granada etc. Your accommodation is cheap approx 350-400 Euros a month your be done in 6 weeks and use the additional 25 hrs to have a trip up to France or down to Morocco. Its all logged air time and with that amount of hrs you get good practical experience. You need to get booked up though as its regarded highly by the spanish. Theres a U.K rep /Pilot you need to contact just phone them. Good luck.

silverknapper
10th Nov 2004, 13:26
And as I pointed out english al an IR only gets you 15 hours - that will make no difference at all when you are going for air taxi jobs. To think it does is ridiculous.

African Drunk
10th Nov 2004, 23:53
Bristol first time pass rate since april 50% partial pass 45% fail 5%. That is out of about 50 students. If you go in usually the results are on the students board. Have noticed some schools are vague on results and I believe some places are averaging second series passes. Also check how many hours the average student takes you don't want to end up on a 90 hour IR.