PDA

View Full Version : Advice: FAA IR & JAA Conversion or JAA IR?

thebeast
9th Nov 2004, 04:20
I am trying to decide on the best way for me to complete my instrument rating and would appreciate some views on the subject. I am currently in the US (doing JAA licenses), The first option is doing an FAA multi engine IR which is about 37 hours multi flying time and then converting the license in the UK (around 15 hrs)? or option 2 completing the whole IR in the UK, which I believe is around 20 hours flying and 20 hours sim? The conversion option is cheaper by around two thousand Pounds and will get me more multi engine flying hours as ill also be able to complete more multi time hours building here and get up near 100 hrs. However, I’ve heard that a conversion can be looked down upon by some airlines who prefer more European flying experience and believe FAA ratings are of a lower standard.

Any comments welcome?

A friend also told me that some corporate airlines flying in Europe have US registered aircraft, so having both licenses would open up more job opportunities for me, any truth in that?

Megaton
9th Nov 2004, 07:04
I converted an FAA IR to a JAr and have had 3 job offers in the last 3 weeks. It doesn't say on your licence that it's a converted IR. It won't save you any money though.

0-8
9th Nov 2004, 07:57
Three job offers! Last time I checked you were “only” on two. You’re on a bit of a roll there old chap:ok:

thebeast
10th Nov 2004, 04:37
i was leaning towards doing the FAA conversion option so its good to know thanks.

englishal
10th Nov 2004, 10:48
Multi IR training is a third the price in the USA......

I know what I'd do ;)

Megaton
10th Nov 2004, 11:36
Third job offer via telephone last week. What can I say? :O

WX Man
10th Nov 2004, 17:02
Well I know what I'd say!!!!

I converted my FAA IR to a JAA IR. Didn't save any money, but got more ME hours in my logbook. Is that a bad thing? I didn't think so.

If you are in the US doing your training and you want a school to do your IR at, the first place you need to visit it http://www.southwest.com/ to book a ticket to Tulsa. Go to Tulsa and do your IR with Riverside Flight Centre. I went there, and can thoroughly recommend them. They train to the standards expected of you for both FAA and JAA tests: most people who do the conversion afterwards convert with Airways in Exeter, and every single person I know who has done this has had no compaints at all.

What school are you at at the moment?

Oh, as an addendum. Your M1 visa should be ***easily*** commutable to any other school: DO NOT LET YOUR CURRENT SCHOOL FOB YOU OFF OTHERWISE. It\'s simply a case of changing the details in SEVIS.

My names Turkish
10th Nov 2004, 18:16
Oh, as an addendum. Your M1 visa should be ***easily*** commutable to any other school: DO NOT LET YOUR CURRENT SCHOOL FOB YOU OFF OTHERWISE. It's simply a case of changing the details in SEVIS.

Should be. One school owner I know of heard that "there" student was going to a competitor and cancelled their visa. Take care.

thebeast
11th Nov 2004, 04:32
im actually on a J-1 visa and the subject of visa cancellation has already arisen with all european students (many of us have been flying at other cheaper flight schools for hour building). How easy are these visas to transfer, do i have to return to the UK and endure another day sitting on the floor of the US embassy?

pipergirl
12th Nov 2004, 17:06
Is it possible to do the following-

if i have a FAA PPL issued against my JAA PPL, finish my atpl exams and do an FAA IR and soon after that do my JAA CPL/ME, then convert the IR by doing 15hours conversion to a JAA IR...

am i being too simplistic by thinking this can save a hell of a lot of cashola?

WX Man
12th Nov 2004, 18:20
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need an unrestricted FAA PPL to get the FAA IR endorsed on it. So you'd need to do a FAA PPL flight test (sorry, "check ride") before you did the IR. However it's worth giving the FAA a ring to confirm this, because I think it may have changed since I did it.

Oh, and on the subject of cancelling the visas... I would suggest that schools like that are 'named and shamed' (worm can: open).

drauk
12th Nov 2004, 20:25
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need an unrestricted FAA PPL to get the FAA IR endorsed on it.

That is wrong. You can add an FAA IR to an FAA PPL that has been issued on the basis of your JAA PPL. I've done it and lots of other people have too in at least the last couple of years.

Julian
12th Nov 2004, 22:37
Druak is correct, also on your return to the UK you can apply for the IMC rating to be added your UK licence on your return (assuming you pass the IR :o) )

Some schools will tell you need a full FAA PPL but its cobblers and they are just after the money. Also you dont need to do the full FAA PPL if you decide you want an FAA CPL as you already hold an ICAO PPL.

englishal
13th Nov 2004, 10:28
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need an unrestricted FAA PPL to get the FAA IR endorsed on it.
Ok, you're wrong ;)