PDA

View Full Version : CD RW degradation?

Parapunter
8th Nov 2004, 21:36
Just a quick one to see if others share my experience.

I use the cd re-writer to run a straightforward work data backup each evening, typically 400mbs of word/exel quickbooks backups that sort of thing.

Lately, I have experienced an increasing number of disc failures where either the disc burn fails with a track/focus error or alternatively, the cd writer refuses to read the (reused) disc ocassionally making the pc hang.

I did think it was a batch of dodgy memorex discs, but now I've got through a box of 5 Sony's in a fortnight & I'm a bit fed up at a tenner a throw!

Any ideas? clean the lens? I have tried full erase & have even swapped over the cd writer itself to no avail. BTW I'm on Nero 6 or 7, I forget which & XP home with SP2.

Ta.:ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Nov 2004, 00:41
Parapunter,

For the price of a new CD Burner, do not mess with it, just get a new one. They are easy to replace, just 4 screws and two plugs in the back. (Just make sure you have the same jumper setting in the back, either Master or Slave.)

Take Care,

Richard

BahrainLad
10th Nov 2004, 08:44
Interesting story in the NYT this morning about the problems of long-term digital storage...

Even Digital Memories Can Fade (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/10/technology/10archive.html?hp&ex=1100149200&en=0b6f57f06554be78&ei=5094&partner=homepage)