PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona-Dublin incident?

FlyingV
8th Nov 2004, 16:59
Taken from another (non-aviation) website. Can anyone throw any light on the subject?

Anyone got any details on this?
A mate was on a plane from Barcelona (Aer Lingus I guess) which had to make an emergency landing in Biarritz this afternoon.

He texted me:

Quote:
The plane depressurized, had to make an emergency landing... We were over the Pyrenees, they told us nothing, they turned on the seat belt sign, the masks popped out, the nose of the plane pointed to terra firma, we hurtled down for several minutes, all in thick cloud and turbulance, people started lighting cigarettes. After 10 minutes the pilot talked to us.

People lit cigarette with the oxygen masks down! FFS!

Anyway he is looking for advice on where to eat in Biarritz now so it can't have been too bad.

LatviaCalling
8th Nov 2004, 18:47
I seldom post on these kind of ticklers, but this one was just too precious to let pass. You think we're sucker bait? Why hasn't this topic been closed by PPrune admin.

throttle up
8th Nov 2004, 20:13
I'll guess one of two things happened. It either had a double air system failure or else.....

FlyingV
8th Nov 2004, 21:26
I knew I'd get in trouble for posting this :ouch:

However, there was a Ryanair Reus-Dublin which went via Biarritz today for reasons currently unknown (to me anyway!) I don't think it usually!

Bally Heck
8th Nov 2004, 23:59
They probably thought they were about to land in Dublin and decided to have a last fag before they got to Europe's first nanny no smoking state. Sad thing is they could've had a fag in Biarritz.

Farrell
9th Nov 2004, 10:08
yeah......but not for much longer Bally - they're changing the law here soon to come 'in -line' with new EU policies.

the locals are going mental here every night on TF1!! :suspect:

eal401
9th Nov 2004, 10:48
I seldom post on these kind of ticklers, but this one was just too precious to let pass. You think we're sucker bait? Why hasn't this topic been closed by PPrune admin.
If that happens, then the same admin had better remove the word "rumours" from the title of this forum as a lot of people are clearly having major problems understanding the word.

For the benefit of those individuals, from the compact OED:

Rumour

noun a currently circulating story or report of unverified or doubtful truth.

Which, oh look, exactly matches the original post.

hobie
9th Nov 2004, 11:08
Quote "Europe's first nanny no smoking state"

No smoking in the workplace, restaurants,cinemas,bars, hospitals, etc etc .....

one of the best idea's since banning smoking on aircraft :ok: :ok: :ok:

lomapaseo
9th Nov 2004, 16:51
mate was on a plane from Barcelona (Aer Lingus I guess) which had to make an emergency landing in Biarritz this afternoon.

He texted me:

Quote:
The plane depressurized, had to make an emergency landing... We were over the Pyrenees, they told us nothing, they turned on the seat belt sign, the masks popped out, the nose of the plane pointed to terra firma, we hurtled down for several minutes

I love to read words like hurtled describing a controlled descent Where does one learn to use these kind of words? :}

Shorty Final
9th Nov 2004, 17:25
I like the bit about the cigarettes best. Still, pax under stress? Nothing coming from the very busy flightdeck, nor from the masked ca's. Someone might just have thought **** it my last fag better have it now before we crash.
No solid info ont his then anywhere?

cwatters
9th Nov 2004, 17:49
The plane depressurized, had to make an emergency landing... We were over the Pyrenees, they told us nothing

I expect the pilot was too busy to comment on the view.

hobie
9th Nov 2004, 17:53
to Hurtle

"as if with great speed and a rushing noise"

I'm convinced a modern passenger aircraft has the ability to Hurtle :p

chiglet
9th Nov 2004, 21:57
Was there enough [free] atmspheric oxygen to light up?
watp,iktch

waffler
9th Nov 2004, 23:01
Ryanair have confirmed in the Irish Independant that one of
its aircraft diverted to Biarritz with pressurization problems.

They probably told the pax that they had landed at Dublin South
and made them walk from there.

Riverboat
10th Nov 2004, 01:05
So there it is then - all true! (Just shows, dunnit?)

Funniest posting for a while, though.

corsair
10th Nov 2004, 22:03
Read in the daily star (No I didn't buy it) that it 'plummeted 20,000 feet in 45 seconds'. What's that? 26,000 feet a minute. Holy Stuka, Batman!

Ah truth in the media, so precious!