PDA

View Full Version : NAV2005 refuses to install after NAV2003 removal

amanoffewwords
7th Nov 2004, 20:50
For some unknown/irrational/bizarre/inexplicable reason a customer of mine decided to remove NAV2003 and install NAV2005 on Windows Me. :rolleyes:

Sounds simple except that after removing the first version the second stubbornly refuses to install .

When NAV2005 is inserted into CD drive the splash screen with the different options appears. One clicks on "install nav", splash screen is replaced for a microsecond with install being performed or such like and instantly vanished into the twilight zone.

The following is what I looked at so far:

- system is virus free (ran on-line NAV check and stinger)
- spyware-free (ran ADWARE 1.05)
- ran CW shredder just for fun, also clean
- hijack-this log squeaky clean (never seen a log so pure)
- it does allow other progs to be installed - such as Go Back (from Symantec too [this would preclude a problem with Windows installer prog]
- there is nothing left in the add remove panel from the previous version
- a registry scan proves inconclusive
- msconfig.exe show nothing NAV related is being started
- I copied all the files from the CD to the HDD but the same installation problem occurs
- safe mode doesn't allow NAV to be installed
- there is no dodgy s/w installed
- no firewall
- windows update is up-to-date

Symantec does have a support page offering help for this type of problem but I'm not confident of a result (having used it in the past) and anyway I'm never quite sure of the benefits of using black magic and feng shui techniques to fix what should be a straight forward operation on Windows (now there's a contradiction in terms!).

Any ideas before I tell him the usual (fdisk...)???

Cheers
Charles

mikedurward
7th Nov 2004, 21:32
Are you using XP Pro with SP2?