PDA

View Full Version : RAF SH Question

Fanstop
7th Nov 2004, 18:24
Has anyone heard of any non flying Army Officers transfering to the RAF as pilot and going rotary???

Doing a bit of research on behalf of a chum.:D

PlasticCabDriver
7th Nov 2004, 20:09
There must have been, but they would have to take their chances at selection with the rest of the punters, and would get lumped in with all the other abo entrants and do the whole lot, there would be no fast track crossover.(except IOT I suppose).

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Nov 2004, 20:55
I doubt whether this helps much, but I was a non-flying Army NCO (L/Cpl Int Corps pre-Green-Slime-hats, which dates me) before transferring to the RAF and becoming a Rotary driver for the next 25+ years.

Amateur Aviator
8th Nov 2004, 21:30
There's quite a few of them around actually, and I've had a couple of AAC mates asking about the very same thing. I'm led to believe that it is now harder, and that the deskie has a stack of requests that rivals the stack at Heathrow on a busy day. Can but try though.

neilk
9th Nov 2004, 11:44
A few who went over are now leaving I believe, the grass looked greener..................

Bertie Thruster
10th Nov 2004, 11:49
As an Army NCO pilot I transferred and commissioned into the the RAF. I was told several times during my Army career that wanting to fly was a negative attitude for an officer.

(Due to a bluntie slip I was commissioned the day I arrived at Cranwell. I also remained in the Army until I graduated. Thus I spent 6 months both as An RAF officer and an Army NCO.)

I had to return my Army pay!

(Thud and Blunder did part of my conversion from army gazelle to RAF wessex)

airborne_artist
10th Nov 2004, 12:08
Thus I spent 6 months both as An RAF officer and an Army NCO

I hope you saluted yourself each morning!