PDA

View Full Version : Wow! So this is the answer!

Unwell_Raptor
7th Nov 2004, 17:33
From Sky News' website today.

I haven't seen such a good idea since I last read "The Eagle" at school.

Artist impression of "Jetpod"

TAXI WILL FLY YOU TO WORK

Super-quiet minicab jets could soon be flying commuters to work for little more than the fare for a road-bound taxi.

The British-designed "Jetpod" is due to undergo proof-of-concept flight tests in about 18 months.

It could be whisking passengers in and out of major cities in as little as five years.

London-based developers Avcen envisage the aircraft providing a "park and fly" service for busy commuters.

There would be no question of "flying round the houses." The Jetpod would be able to travel the 24 miles from Woking, Surrey, to the centre of London in just four minutes.

And because it can make so many trips, fares can be kept low. A journey from Heathrow to central London would cost about 40 or 50 - not much more than a licensed black cab.

The key to success for the jetpod is unique technology that allows it to land on strips of land about 400ft long, a tenth of the length of a conventional runways.

Other aspects of its design will make it the quietest jet ever to take to the air.

The Jetpod's twin turbojets produce up to 20 decibels less noise than the latest engines currently in service.

"We believe once there is an aircraft that can do these things, cities will make space for it," said Avcen managing director Mike Dacre.

This says more about the quality of Sky's news editors than it does about aviation.

Jerricho
7th Nov 2004, 17:38
If these things get driven/flown around like many cabs in London, there's gonna be a massive increase in aluminium showers with occasional meat-hail.

Fletchers Left Boot
7th Nov 2004, 18:34
Hey Jerricho, fancy giving that lot a RAS?

Would make the old pack-and-gap exercises back at Hurn seem like a vicars tea party.

Jerricho
7th Nov 2004, 19:38
Are you mad?!? RAS that..I don't bloody think so.

"Flight information service not available cause you're all feckin' terrible pilots" ;)

Ascend Charlie
7th Nov 2004, 21:46
It must almost be time for the AGM of the Crackpot Society. This year it is being held in a phone booth in Snotgobbler, New Jersey, and all crackpots will be able to dial the number and teleport themselves for the cost of an overseas call. Those crackpots using internet phone calls must be aware that they might get captured by a rogue computer and spammed to every corner of the earth.

What sort of ratbag thinks up things like Skypod? What sort of ratbag puts money in to finance it? Whatever happened to the Moller Skycar with its eight engines?

Buster Hyman
7th Nov 2004, 22:09
It might take 4 minutes, but does that include reading the A to Z & communicating in a hybrid form of English?

seacue
7th Nov 2004, 22:22
Takes me back to me youth. The American mags Popular Mechanics and Popular Science seemed to specialize in artists' paintings of futuristic cities with the air filled with personal autogyros / helicopters / jet-abouts.

The old is new again.
And just as practical.

Jerricho
7th Nov 2004, 22:31
Imagine if it ever came to happen.

The ambo-chaser lawyer would be creaming their jocks!

"Been injured in a jet-pod accident? Call us"

(That's assuming the injured party survives the fall from a couple of hundred feet!)

Rollingthunder
7th Nov 2004, 22:42
Things like this will never get off the ground until I finish my anti-grav generator.

Just a couple more problems to sort out.

Gareth Blackstock
7th Nov 2004, 23:07
At least this taxi won't be a Merc!!!!!!!

Gaz

tony draper
7th Nov 2004, 23:19
I have seen the future, and its back to horses I'm afraid.
Clip clop clip clop!
:uhoh:

Jerricho
7th Nov 2004, 23:51
Horses with jet-packs?

Buster Hyman
8th Nov 2004, 01:30
...or hung like them?http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-040.gif

Jerricho
8th Nov 2004, 01:31
Hung like a jet pack?

Buster, you drunk again? :p

Buster Hyman
8th Nov 2004, 01:34
You haven't seen my Jet pack...Baby!!!:E

Jerricho
8th Nov 2004, 01:49
Something tells me I (and I'm sure I speak for many others) DON'T WANT TO!

;)

Buster Hyman
8th Nov 2004, 01:56
No worries, I'll describe it to you instead. It's long & sleek and comes with two drop tanks that I'm loathe to lose. It must be electric as it's always fully charged in the morning, during the day it just needs a crank or two to fire it up.

Jerricho
8th Nov 2004, 02:04
during the day it just needs a crank or two to fire it up

Just like your Ford then eh?

Right, I'm stopping!

Buster Hyman
8th Nov 2004, 02:09
Don't need the Ford with my Jet Pack!

27mm
8th Nov 2004, 09:28
Remember Bruce Willis as the cab driver in "The 5th Element"? Maybe that's what it'll be like....

tony draper
8th Nov 2004, 10:01
Acording to the song, Hitler had only one drop tank.
:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
8th Nov 2004, 10:12
Was Eva holding the other one?

Jerricho
8th Nov 2004, 16:38
The 5th Element"? Maybe that's what it'll be like

And what would the chances of Milla Jovovich dropping in for a ride. :E

Fletchers Left Boot
8th Nov 2004, 20:15
Oh how those trying to get to work around EGHH this morning would have been crying out for a Jet-Pod!

2.5hours for a 6 mile journey for some....

Send Clowns
8th Nov 2004, 22:55
Bloody nightmare, Fletcher, should have walked! Jet pod drivers can't be worse than a'holes with beemers :*

Feeton Terrafirma
9th Nov 2004, 00:26
Just as soon as I perfect my time machine I'll be back from the future with a TRANSPORTER. Captain Janeway will never miss it.
Make all those Jet-Pod thingy concepts totally obsolete.

Beam me up Scotty