PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVDs

joe2812
7th Nov 2004, 15:57
I have the NEC ND 6500 (http://www.nec.co.uk/DVD_RW_ND6500.aspx) DVD+RW in my laptop but i'm confused as to how to make (100% legitimate) copies of DVDs.

Can I do it with only one drive and if so what program is best to use?

Also, which type of blank disk do I use?

Tinstaafl
7th Nov 2004, 16:43
You would have to copy the original DVD to your hard drive first, then burn the image on the HD to the blank DVD.

There is free software around that can copy the DVD contents to the HD as a single 'image' file of the whole of the source. This single file can then be written to 1 or more blanks.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Nov 2004, 20:17
joe2812,

What type of DVDs are you looking to copy?

There are many types of programs out there but we need to know what type of DVD it is before we can point you to the right program.

Take Care,

Richard

joe2812
7th Nov 2004, 20:34
Well i'm not surew, ive never burnt a DVD before!

Just take your average DVD and make a copy of it which I can watch on tv really... I didn't know there were different types!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Nov 2004, 20:41
joe2812,

There are DVDs that are:

Movies

Games

Data

Music

etc.

Take Care,

Richard

unclenelli
7th Nov 2004, 22:59
Most DVDs on the market are 5+GB size and will not fit directly onto a blank DVD.

You will need to search for and download DVDShrink (or similar) to rip, strip extras, compress and convert the DVD to fit on a 4.7GB blank DVD using a regular burning software (e.g. Nero)

Double-Layer drives are now available with 8.5GB blank DVDs (cheapest disks I've found are £6 each!!! - Verbatim DVD+R from PC World), but I've heard of problems with them when burning video/movies - "Layer transition may trigger a slight pause" = 20 seconds of blank screen!!!!!!!!!

All of this may prove completely useless if the DVD is using the latest encryption technology to prevent it being copied (or even read) on a PC!!

joe2812
8th Nov 2004, 15:06
I've gone with DVD Shrink (many thanks) and tested it out on my Peter Kay DVD (yes yes, I know i'm the only one here who finds him funny given the current JB thread!).

Ive got rid of the menus and extras, giving me just the film in two folders:

AUDIO_TS (empty folder)
VIDEO_TS (containing .BUP .IFO .VOB)

To burn onto DVD do i just take those two folder across or take the files out and put those on?

maxell
8th Nov 2004, 15:28
Take both folders across

8th Nov 2004, 16:07
Joe..
I've just gone through exactly the same process as you. (trying to copy dvd's for the first time)

I also used DVDshrink. I didn't bother copying the Audio TS folder, as it was empty. I used the "make dvdvideo" option of NERO, and it works fine.
If you have only copied the main movie, you will find that you can't jump to different episodes of the film.
I also found that my laptop will not play the finished disk, but it works fine in my dvd player.

joe2812
8th Nov 2004, 16:12
Ah, thats ok then... as soon as i get round to buying some blank DVDs i'll give one a burn.

It's just occurred to me that I did not need to cut the menus etc out as it all fitted on one disk anyway.

Thanks for all the help and other other advice will still be greatly appreciated.

timmcat
8th Nov 2004, 16:15
as soon as i get round to buying some blank DVDs i'll give one a burn.

Just bought some today from
here. (http://websell.pipex.com/beta-cgi/tek/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=DVD/va=banner_image%3d/va=banner_text%3d.html?id=7bA8HYBV). I visited the shop as it is local, but it gives you an idea what deals are around.

spannersatcx
8th Nov 2004, 17:15
If you have only copied the main movie, you will find that you can't jump to different episodes of the film

If you use dvd 2one you still have chapters.

Even with nero you can put your own chapter points in!

For more on dvd stuff try here dvdrhelp.com (http://www.dvdrhelp.com)