PDA

View Full Version : Climatology!

buster172
6th Nov 2004, 22:39
Hello,

Having stayed up tonight (Saturday night) :ugh: trying to answer questions on Climatology I have had enough!

I wanted to share my frustration with some like minded people that may be able to relate to that oh so regular feeling of despair

:mad:

Using my usual study technique of read it all once. Then read it all again highlighting pertinent points, then attempting to answer the questions.

This normaly works pretty good with results in the 70-90% region. However, :D when it comes to the weather, the pressure, or the sea temp, or the low level wind, high level wind, jetsream this way one going the other way.......

I just feel like :{ and somone has :ouch: me one.

I have almost finished the first module and what a great feeling it is, sure I cant remember everything at the moment but Im not doing too bad and the end, of the first 8 anyway is in sight.

I posted when I started this back in July with the panic and nerves I could never do it, well I got over that with your enduring support but its back to the oh :confused: how am I ever going to remember all this stuff again :D

Anyone else feel they had met their match when it came to the big clouds in the sky? If so any pointers? Would be great to hear as I havent started feedback yet just how the questions are biased in the exam. As ever any experiences, good or bad are very welcome.

One other thing, I am thinking about using Silsoe for the exams, how would that be travel wise as I have been offered accommodation in Peterborough, anyone local?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you

Many kind regards,

Buster172

willby
6th Nov 2004, 22:50
Hi Buster,
If you have,nt already got it the Oxford cd on Met. is agreat help with this subject.
Good luck
Willby

Wireless
7th Nov 2004, 07:00
I found Climatology to be a nightmare to study. Seemed such a vast topic. I used an Oxford CD on met to help. It was very clear and concise. The exam didn't go into massive depth on climatology. It just asked things like "where is the Harmattan" and when are Africa's rainy seasons.

I have just used Silsoe to sit some exams. You can get accomodation on the college campus for £34 a night inc breakfast. This is the best bet as you have less than a minute to walk from the accomodation block to the exams.

Jinkster
7th Nov 2004, 12:48
If you have any direct climatology question, post them and we'll all have a look and see what we can do!

Keep at it, keep plugging away and you'll find yourself with a shiny blue book soon.

six-sixty
7th Nov 2004, 13:39
I can agree about the oxford met cd - I thought climatology was going to be my undoing too, but the cd sorts it out really well. It appeared when I started reading the sylabus it to be loads of very complex and unrelated facts to learn but the CD builds from the top down such that you'll learn the basic patterns and then it teaches you build on those such that you can work out most of what's going on from those key flows.

When it came to the exams the questions on the subject were few and quite easy ones.

(I've got the same thing going on again, this time with electrics - but alas no instant fix from a CD... I'd love to hear from anyone else who's struggled with this and found a good reference).

Keep at it, if I can pass met anyone can.

Andi
8th Nov 2004, 13:34
Buster,dropped u a PM.Hope it helps if i did not get it wrong.
:suspect: :ugh:

sparks-flying
8th Nov 2004, 16:19
SIX-SIXTY

I've not started atpl theory yet but would be interested in your struggle with electrics as i am an electrician and would like to know how much more theory I will have to endure.
And if possible I will help with your problem.

Sparks-Flying

Mosspigs
9th Nov 2004, 08:29
Buster,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Keep going and have confidence in yourself. It is not surprising you don't remember a thing when you're flustered.

Take heart of the following info from someone not gifted upstairs in the brain dept:

You know more than you think.
The practise tests work.
The crammer works.
You'll be cramming until minutes before the exam - and that works too.

If you have a bad day. Give yourself a break for the evening and grab a couple of beers and let the world settle down. The next day is a new one.

It worked for me.

G SXTY
9th Nov 2004, 12:31
Climatology is - by common consent - a pain in the @rse.

Mosspigs is right, the crammer will give you what you need for the exam. Fortunately, there weren't that many questions on Climatology in the actual exam - there was much more emphasis on things like clouds (particularly CBs) and TAF & METAR decodes.

I know it's easy to say don't worry, but really - don't worry.

six-sixty
9th Nov 2004, 20:04
Sparks I think you'll be fine. The theory as it's explained in the course is quite straightforward, it's just when I started the feedback that I had (am having) a bit of a "how do I get to that answer from that theory" type moment.

I appreciate the offer of help though, and good luck when you get eventually get stuck in.

simfly
9th Nov 2004, 22:18
BUSTER!!!!!!!!!!

Why do I go on here and find you asking these questions before you have asked me?????? You have my number, MATE!!!!:E

buster172
11th Nov 2004, 19:50
Dear all,

Thank you very much for all your replies and support!

My apologies for having taken so long to acknowledge the posts, attempting to work out the PNR/CP points along with the sun rise here and there, all much more fun than Climatology :D

Just hearing the thoughts of others is a great confidence booster and

Six sixty put it rather well, and that’s how it feels how do all these bits fit together. Having read this one over a few more times its a little better but I am still going to invest in an Oxford CD, I hear its the business

;)

Mosspigs, great post!

Thanks again all, I will take you up on the offer of specific help when I get back to it, a few days perhaps. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Buster

:ok:

And good luck to everyone else!

Simfly, I'll be having words :p