View Full Version : Humberside to Antalya summer 05!

aeulad
6th Nov 2004, 13:58
Humberside has gained another new sun destination for the summer 2005 season. Thomas Cook will be offering a month long series of Sunday departures from Humberside to Antalya in Turkey. It would seem that they are possibly testing the market?? Hopefully, if the flights are successful, a summer long flight may be introduced in the future.

Humberside has a strong presence in the Turkish market, with 3 weekly flights to Dalaman and a weekly Bodrum departure.

It is great to see anything new at HUY in the face of DSA, albeit it being just a short series of flights.

Regards

Mike

circseam
8th Nov 2004, 08:38
Hi Mike,

Good news for once for HUY!

Was driving past the airport last week on business and couldnt help but notice the new structure being erected, any ideas for its use?

Regards

Circseam / Chillwinston

aeulad
8th Nov 2004, 23:11
Not sure what the new construction is. I have'nt lived in the area for years. Just like to keep a watch from afar.

As far as I know, there is no major construction planned for HUY. I had heard something along the lines of an on-site hotel/travelodge and also about a petrol station, but so far, nothing is in evidence.

I think the HUY terminal will suffice for the future, I can't see HUY growing much past it's current 550,00 pax/year, unfortunately:{

Regards

Mike

Nice Jam
9th Nov 2004, 02:57
The new structure is a hangar with capacity for 2 x 737 for maintenance/painting (I believe).

circseam
9th Nov 2004, 08:23
Do you know for whom it is being built for, Eastern perhaps?

Nice Jam
9th Nov 2004, 13:46
Sorry, I don't know. I don't think it's Eastern though.

Hotel Uniform Yankee
18th Nov 2004, 09:31
Believe a guy called John Ibbotson has something to do with the building of the new hanger. Has anyone any idea who he is?
I've alson heard it will take 2 x B737.

Capt BK
18th Nov 2004, 10:40
The new 737 maintenance facility is a private venture as far as im aware, not linked with any particular operator. It's right next to the Eastern compound. It certainly sounds like a bold move but time will tell, fingers crossed. I've heard the guy involved used to work for another maintenance facility somewhere and has decided to go it alone but this is all word of mouth.

I've heard that it is for 2x737s but it certainly looks like it would be a squeeze, unless it gets any bigger.

aeulad
18th Nov 2004, 12:38
Any news on whether any customers have been secured for the new facility?

Regards

Mike

Capt BK
18th Nov 2004, 14:19
No idea but would have thought that at least someone has signed up otherwise it's a hell of a gamble.

I'm not sure how operators handle maintenance but with the likes of Jet2 at LBA and ThompsonFly at DSA, all operating 737's without a local maintenance facility it might not be a bad little buisness. There will certainly never be a problem getting a landing slot at HUY!

14 loop
18th Nov 2004, 15:15
Thread creep I 'm afraid, however in response to Capt BK.

There has been speculation about Jet2 and a 'northern' maintenance facility in the past. At present they do use the Mulitflight Hangars at LBIA, indeed I believe there is a frame currently inside having its CFMs changed!

I am led to believe that some of the early Jet2 fleet will need overhauls during the Winter, however the original Channex machines (that have been on wet lease to Globespan) have already started this work so it is assumed that the Jet2 liveried aircraft will simply follow suit at whatever facility is already in use.

LBA
18th Nov 2004, 16:47
Having its CFMs changed to ones that will enable it do longer flights from LBA? ;)

Mooncrest
20th Nov 2004, 08:43
The aircraft in the shop was LX and was only having a single engine change. A B2 off and another B2 on. Simple as that.

BTW, the Jet2 ex Ansett aircraft already have (or soon will have) the B2 engine, the ex Lufthansa aircraft have the B1. They'll be staying that way too coz the ex Luft machines are planned to be based at Manchester where, of course, the runways are longer and performance is less of an issue. :ok:

RVR800
26th Nov 2004, 09:04
I though John Ibbotson was a captain with a UK airline now

aeulad
27th Nov 2004, 20:40
Unfortunately, the decline is set to go further:{

Humberside may have gained Antalya for a month, but it has lost regular flights to Malaga on the Costa Del Sol, and Furteventura:{ I am beginning to think it is only a matter of time.

Regards

Mike

circseam
30th Nov 2004, 15:34
Seems HUY has started to annouce route changes, as predicted by many when Robin Hood opens, it's a shame, HUY had built up an impressive IT portfolio of clients for a regional airport.

As for the hanger, rumoured to be for 2x 737's, it seems small to handle such a/c and if it is to attract 3rd party maintainence then it may be a bold move. I seem to remember a Hawker 125 having its own hanger for a caravan manufacturer based on the North bank, maybe the caravan business is booming and a BBJ is a new addition! wishful thinking I think but am endeavouring to find out whos behind the hanger.

Circseam