PDA

View Full Version : Workcover & CRM.

Buster Hyman
6th Nov 2004, 09:22
Watched the SR111 crash on Air Crash Investigation the other night & I've been thinking about this since.

The experienced crew followed their company procedures to their credit, but as a result of the crash, the procedures were altered significantly.

Hindsight in aviation is usually the result of many deaths. Predicting what & when something will go wrong is tantamount to impossible therefore, what role, if any, could an organisation like Workcover play in this?

Using the above example, could someone outside of the industry have seen the procedure & thought "Hmmm, 20 mins to follow a manual whilst there's a fire on board at 30000ft!"

I'd be interested to hear if there is any independant organisation that does.:confused:

Capt Claret
6th Nov 2004, 23:22
G'day Buster,

The SOPs I work to have a statement at the front to the effect that, "SOPs cannot cover every situation and crews are expected to use sound command judgement."

That sort of statement, I think, gives the Captain & crew the authority to go outside of the SOPs if their considered judgement is that in the particular circumstances, it is warranted. This variation from should not be confused with ignoring SOP just because one feels like it on the day.

Buster Hyman
7th Nov 2004, 10:26
Damned if you do, damned if you dont?

The aforementioned show was quite insightful to the skippers thought process...albeit assumed. Go to an airport with your own engineering staff, or just get it down anywhere. A bit of that "Safety or Schedule" dilemma. I'm sure most pilots would say that safety would be the driving force, but in the heat of the moment, where you are unsure of the facts, would you commit to a diversion immediately?

Capt C. I would hope that your company policy applied all around. Preferrably, after such an incident, you would get a decent debrief, some sim time to repeat the exercise & maybe a report for your colleagues' benefit. A pat on the back for going with your instincts & back on the line.