PDA

View Full Version : Peter Kay - he's just not funny

Lost_luggage34
6th Nov 2004, 08:18
Maybe I've missed something here along the way, but I am sorry this guy is quite simply NOT funny.

I am a Northerner, I like Northern humour but having given the chap another chance on the dreadful Ross show Fri evening (I watch it for the guests) I fail to see anything slightly amusing.

What have I missed ?

I don't even think it is an aquired taste - argue differently.

SilsoeSid
6th Nov 2004, 09:16
Unfortunately, I think he was in the 'green room' a bit too long before his part of the show.

1DC
6th Nov 2004, 09:44
I thought Phoenix Nights was very funny so i bought a DVD of "Peter Kay at the top of the tower" and was disappointed, perhaps I was expecting too much..

Speed Twelve
6th Nov 2004, 10:33
At last! I thought it was just me that considered Kay to be a grossly overrated and over-chinned ****!

I was also held down against my will and had the 'Kay at the Tower' thing inflicted upon me by a 'friend'. I have never seen such talentless crap stand-up 'comedy'. Unashamedly aimed at the great unwashed in easily digested chunks of ar$e. It was like watching a Butlins cabaret act; which incidentally is where most of Kay's audience probably holiday....

Bill Hicks
Jack Dee
Billy Connolly
Bill Bailey
Ross Noble

and.....

Peter Kay. I think not.....

ST

VFE
6th Nov 2004, 10:42
Must confess I sat rather quiet as my family howled with laughter last xmas at the Peter Kay live at Bolton video. Yeah, he's funny, good observationalist comedian, no doubting that but if you're the type of person who see's the ever present humour in day-to-day life already then he doesn't touch your funnybone all that easily.

His performances are olde style variety club presentation with a splash of acid and he is good - just not good enough to get me rolling around on the floor but then again - no comedian has done that to me in a long time. Can only think of Jim Davidson and Billy Connelly who have done that to me in the past but even they've gone off the boil in recent years - they run out of material and we grow bored of them - it's as simple as that really.

'Pheonix Nights' was almost bloody genuis though and that new spin off series looks reasonable judging from the trailer on the Jonathon Ross Show last night. Looking forward to watching it.

One question though Luggage - why do you say the Ross show is dreadful? Methinks it's about the only show these days where you get to see the real person in the guest. Ross is funny - there is no denying that - the format is breezy and he cajoules interesting tidbits from his guests. Sounds a winner to me. What type of show and comedian do you like? Not trying to start a fight - I would just like to know. Cheers.

VFE.

GASH !
6th Nov 2004, 13:27
Well it must be a Northern England thing then, coz I think he's funny as fcuk.

Many of the terms, phrases, and ideas that he refers to will probably be unfamiliar to people who aren't from Northern England, but as a boy who grew up in Blackpool, I can relate to a lot of what Peter Kay says, and it's very funny. I've watched the DVD with my Scottish pals though, and they've not found him at all funny, probably in the same way that I find Billy Connolly about as funny as tooth ache.

PS Why Do Mums buy crap pop ???

Jerricho
6th Nov 2004, 13:34
Bill Hicks

Har-har.

Three hours and counting.

djk
6th Nov 2004, 14:02
Comedy is purely a matter of taste and will only be funny if you're able to relate to their material.

I admit I don't really enjoy Peter Kay's comedy as a lot of his references just don't make any sense to me.

I enjoy the deadpan delivery of comedians such as Dave Mordel and Jay London, my wife will howl with laughter at shows such as "Absolutely Fabulous" whereas I can barely turn the corners of my mouth up while watching that show.

so... *shrugs shoulders*

Self Loading Freight
6th Nov 2004, 17:10
For me, it's Harry Hill who remains forever beyond my grasp. I should like him -- surrealist schtick is my thing, man - but nope. Even seeing him live at the Comedy Store (he was unbilled), I just couldn't get it.

R

Boss Raptor
6th Nov 2004, 17:14
Peter Kay as Brian Potter and Max on Phoenix Nights was fantastic - but then he was not on his own and the laughs came from the others as well...

Peter Kay on his own I found distinctly unfunny as I do Harry Hill whos presence as a comedian is beyond me, nothing about him (character/demeanour/presentation/gags) is funny

Tempsford
6th Nov 2004, 18:26
Is a view of whether a comedian is good, bad or indifferent not a matter of opinion rather than being the resultant of ones background?

Temps

The Greaser
6th Nov 2004, 19:19
I guess so, and in my opinion he's crap.

Helli-Gurl
6th Nov 2004, 20:42
Well said, the guy just isn't funny.

x

chiglet
6th Nov 2004, 21:13
Just my opinion,
Peter Kay is akin to [an early] Billy Connoly...Observation Comedy
Harry Hell, sorry Hill is as funny as toothache
Lee Evans, absolute crud
Ab Fab should be renamed as All Bad
watp,iktch

redfred
6th Nov 2004, 22:59
the advert where he boots the ball into the back garden 'ave it' that was funny, and so was the dive into the swimming pool

Jango
7th Nov 2004, 08:53
Observational humour is just that, and all the stand ups start their careers that way, billy connolly etc. peter Kay is no different you either 'get it' or you don't.

What is the point making statements that everyone else must be a moron coz they laughed and you didn't ?? Unless you are Australian of course...

IB4138
7th Nov 2004, 20:32
Tis purely a matter of personal taste.

I think the guy is funny, even as a stand alone artist.

Now crud , IMHO, was "The Office" and Ricky Gervais.

That series and the guy are simply not funny.

Each one to their own.

eal401
8th Nov 2004, 09:18
Who gives a damn who finds who funny or not funny?

I find some performers funny, others less so. I don't feel the need to inflcit my opinions on others.

Don't like someone? Don't sodding watch them. Being "forced" to watch someone? Get a life!!! If you can't make the choice to go for a walk, or do something else or even <gasp> USE YOUR OWN BRAIN AND MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES then God help you.

itchy kitchin
8th Nov 2004, 14:50
From the Royal Institute of Comedic Affairs:

Peter "2 more lamb bhuna's" Kay. CHECKED: FUNNY
Harry "Fiiiiight!!!" Hill: CHECKED: FUNNY

It's official, so come on guys, jump on the soddin' bandwagon!

Binoculars
9th Nov 2004, 12:43
Now crud , IMHO, was "The Office" and Ricky Gervais.

I missed the original screening of The Office, because I don't watch much TV. I recently got out the first series DVD to see what the fuss was about. It didn't take long to find out. Only slightly traumatised, I returned the DVD to the shop.

Then two days ago I had the courage to get the second series DVD out and have watched it over the last two days. On the basis of what I saw, Ricky Gervais simply has to be up amongst the top strata of satirists. Rarely have I felt so uncomfortable in front of a television. I assume that given the ending of Series 2 there won't be a Series 3, which makes 12 episodes all up, just like Fawlty Towers.

I think they deserve to be thought of in the same vein.

(Err, btw, VFE, have you sought treatment for your obsession with the Stranglers? It won't hurt, trust me...)

Edited for a dangling participle. :uhoh:

Onan the Clumsy
13th Nov 2004, 14:19
Someone emailed me a long list of his quotes, but I deleted them :(

Jerricho
13th Nov 2004, 15:27
Unfortunately, the first time I watched "The Office", it was with a group of people Mrs J worked with (who, funnily enough were all office workers). They sat there through the entire thing shouting out "Hey that's just like old mate!" or "That's just what old luv would say", and proceeded to roll around on the floor in fits of laughter. I think it ruined the experience.

SuperOwl
14th Nov 2004, 12:43
I think Peter Kay IS funny, especially in Phoenix Nights.

But I will admit that when I have watched his stand up performances, he doesn't seem to have anything to say that stands out of the ordinary. Although it sounds silly, if he is a comedian based on his observations, then I know countless people who could have used the same routine as him many years ago.

However, Phoenix Nights is bloody hilarious so fair play to him for that. As for the spin-off from Phoenix Nights that aired last friday, I'm not so sure but it's early days yet....

Pontious
14th Nov 2004, 13:37
I find him very funny because I could identify with him as we share similar age, similar upbringing and same geographical area so 'mum's and crap pop', 'uncle knobhead', my dad shreiking 'GARLIC BREAD???' at the top of his voice in Ibiza 1976 are all too remeniscent of my own childhood and it leaves me in stitches, but I just cannot get my head around Harry Hill or The League of Gentlemen.

If any of you appreciate 'Phoenix Nights' then I suggest you place his new DVD 'That Peter Kaye Thing' on your Christmas 'Wishlist'. It is the stuff he did before PN in fact he was given the funding for PN off the back of this.

If 'Phoenix Nights' made you split your sides then you had better get the nurses back with the needle and thread because it is hilarious. I won't say too much but the Brian Potter revelation took me by surprise. Enjoy.

:ok:

SuperOwl
14th Nov 2004, 13:43
I must agree, I have an "Uncle Knobhead"....