PDA

View Full Version : It's a disaster!

DX Wombat
6th Nov 2004, 05:29
Well it is as far as my 6 years old nephew is concerned. What has happened to Jandakot Control Tower? (http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/oddments.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1384) My nephew was dreadfully upset to find that it has been demolished since his last visit and is now nothing but a heap of sand.:{ Does anyone know why this has happened or if it is going to be replaced? He used to love playing there and pretending to be an ATCO. :ok:

tinpis
6th Nov 2004, 05:33
:p

He used to love playing there and pretending to be an ATCO.

So did the ATCOS DX

:}

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Nov 2004, 07:26
Would hazard a guess that airport owners ,worried about litigation from parents of poisoned kids removed the treated pine play set. Would not know how bloody long a kid would have to chew on a piece to get crook but the PCs are certainly taking the fun out of being a kid:(

DX Wombat
7th Nov 2004, 11:52
PCs :mad: :mad: Perfect Clots, guaranteed to do their best to remove the fun from children's lives :* :{ :{

Islander Jock
7th Nov 2004, 13:39
Hi DX, welcome back to Perth. How long ya in town for?

Ozbusdriver, 100% correct mate. I was up at the cafe one day and spoke to one of the guys tearing it down. He said because it didn't conform to Australian Standards, the airport owners said it had to go.

On a recent trip to Sydney I visited the area where I grew up and stopped by a nearby park where I used to play. Gone where the old swings with hardwood seats held on by 8mm chains over a good old concrete pad. And the death trap merry-go-round that 4 of us used to get up to the rotating speed of a PT6 and then try and jump on. :E All replace by brightly coloured plastic swings over thick beds of sand or woodchips. Many a day I would ride my scooter home crying to mum only to have her douse the wounds in Friars Balsam :ouch: (AARRRRGGHH). Can you still get that stuff?

No more splinters, scratches, cuts, bumps or broken bones for the kiddies of today. :rolleyes:

Obiwan
7th Nov 2004, 22:31
No more splinters, scratches, cuts, bumps or broken bones for the kiddies of today.
or fun...

HEALY
8th Nov 2004, 00:59
While were on the topic of PACS (People against common sense) I believe their is a council in either England or OZ, cant remember the paper I read it in, that are banning cricket players at a certain ground hitting sixes due to the risk of hitting members of joe bloe public. Thats right, certain parts of the ground are out of bounds for hitting sixes.

Does this mean six and out?

tinpis
8th Nov 2004, 01:08
Healy in good old melbourne that was.
Players get penalised by a 5 point deduction if they hit a 6. :*

DX Wombat
8th Nov 2004, 02:13
Hi IJ, I'm here until 21st November. Called in to say hi to Mrs IJ the other day :ok:
Players get penalised by a 5 point deduction if they hit a 6.
Words fail me! :mad:

tinpis
8th Nov 2004, 03:24
Hi DX yer in my least fave place ,beware of lurking con -men and and various bs artists.
Have fun:p

Luca_brasi
8th Nov 2004, 08:09
Its a council in Melbourne that has two ovals that the neighbours have been complaining about near misses from 6's.

The one ground I have played at has a dead ball rule for any 6 hit straight down the ground to one end. Anywhere else is fine.

If you hit in the designated area a dead ball is declared, no runs scored and the ball isn't rebowled.

It is indeed a disgrace and is very disheartening that after all the effort required to hit a decent shot down the ground you don't get any reward for it.

Why bother playing there if you can't play to the full extent of the rules or the game?

Obiwan
8th Nov 2004, 21:15
Its a council in Melbourne that has two ovals that the neighbours have been complaining about near misses from 6's.
Who was there first? The oval or the neighbours?

Caveat emptor. If you buy a house next door to a cricket field or gold course - expect a few balls over the fence.

Same as people who buy houses under flight paths.

The Voice
8th Nov 2004, 22:32
Who was there first? The oval or the neighbours?

Caveat emptor

But Obiwan, my interpretation when I saw that story was that it was in fact the older (longer) home owners that were having trouble with their vegies being creamed by the balls, and they themselves having difficulty dodging the balls ..

(I understood that those home owners have been their practically all of their married lives : hence I reckon they've been there longer than perhaps the mighty game played on that oval these days .. hence the 'rule change' to suit.)

Northern Chique
9th Nov 2004, 08:42
Friars balsam still very much available... its great stuff if you need your strapping to stay in place during a hard sweaty game of footy or the like.... would hurt like all hell used directly on a graze or laceration though!!! :eek: The stuff I used to love though was mercuracrome red paint.... :} they took that stuff off the market though........

On the topic of cricket though, that really sux not being able to belt a six off the paddock! (Not that I could, but its a sad thing watching die hard cricket fans cry!!!)

DX Wombat
9th Nov 2004, 14:23
Now I know I'm a Brit and this is Oz so it is highly likely that things will be different. I also know that in the UK we have some sports fields with high level netting around them to prevent the egress of such balls. Why could they not do something similar? It need not be a permanent fixture it could be such that it was put up only before a match and removed immediately afterwards so that the neighbours'view remained unspoiled when a match wasn't in progress and their greenhouse glass safe when there was. Is this just a wee bit too sensible or are there other factors of which I am unaware?