PDA

View Full Version : OT: B757 300ft over Dartmoor!!

Razor61
6th Nov 2004, 03:07
Ok, not military but interesting to anyone travelling to Dartmoor on sunday!

A DHL B-757 will take off from Exeter and route to Dartmoor at 1000ft before descending to 300ft (yes 300ft) at Yes Tor.
It is testing 'emergency safety equipment' according to the newspaper, so i guess it is terrain avoidance trials.
The local horse riders are up in arms about it saying the noise will spook their horses....
Not that during the week days the Artillery range which includes Yes Tor will make a difference (ok, sunday is a riders day).

Devon & Cornwall police have warned everyone nearby to be prepared for the B757 at 300ft and NOT to ride their horses in the vicinity from 10am to 10:45am.

No doubt anyone who doesnt know this is taking place, will clog up the police and emergency services with calls about an airliner about to crash over Dartmoor! It might scare a few people who are driving up past Merrivale to see a B757 300ft above the terrain!

WORTH going to see if you are in the area, its not often an airliner the size of a B757 will be flying around at 300ft!!

Rich
SW England

Oggin Aviator
6th Nov 2004, 05:02
Hopefully someone can try and get some photos and post them here - would make an interesting piccie.

Oggin

Thud_and_Blunder
6th Nov 2004, 05:36
Typical. Nothing interesting ever happens where I live, then after I come out to the Middle East they go and do something like this right next door! Shall send 10-year old son out on his bike with trusty Sony Mavica floppy-disk camera (he's used to my cast-offs) to see what he can snap.

ShyTorque
6th Nov 2004, 08:04
"The local horse riders are up in arms about it saying the noise will spook their horses...."

So I assume none of them ever travel by air and therefore aren't at all interested in aircraft safety? Aren't they intelligent enough to consider staying away from the area? :rolleyes:

VP959
6th Nov 2004, 10:17
Anyone else noticed that this is a DHL 757?

My little alarm bells started ringing as I connected the SAM 14 incident last year (DHL A300) and this trial. Could it be a Defensive Aids Suite trial at low level?

After all, this is a weapons range, so perhaps those going to take a look-see might be treated to a neat display of pyro's as well.

Alternatively, perhaps they are practicing threat zone avoidance techniques in a civil heavy? (just guessing).

I can't see a good reason for wanting to test a GPWS system, as these are already in service and well proven.

This is all complete speculation, of course.

VP

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Nov 2004, 13:22
Well, did it go? My lad couldn't go and watch - he had to go and visit his Aunts:rolleyes: :(

Razor61
7th Nov 2004, 15:17
Apparently the B757 went u/s and never got airborne!

Razor

ranger703
8th Nov 2004, 13:44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/L188/Afonsos%2024%20Oct/B737.jpg

Varig B737 at the recent Rio Airshow.Photo posted on airshows.co.uk by F6F.Apparently no rules there as to safety heights or overflying the crowds!!