PDA

View Full Version : Emirates' jumbo climb-down

Wirraway
5th Nov 2004, 16:42
Sat "Herald Sun"

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,394031,00.jpg
Trollies as usual: Emirates has decided against souvenir shops on its new A380 super jumbos.

Emirates' jumbo climb-down
Geoff Easdown
06nov04

EMIRATES Airlines has come down to earth about the internal layouts of its coming fleet of A380 super jumbos.

The Dubai-based carrier revealed this week it had turned its back on the marketing hype of aircraft maker Airbus.
The next generation big birds will have conventional fitouts in three-class seating arrangements.

Missing will be the onboard saunas, restaurants and souvenir shops that Airbus marketers had boasted.

"We're not doing anything like putting in saunas, running tracks or whatever," Emirates vice chairman and group president Maurice Flanagan said during this week's Melbourne stopover.

"It will be seating," he said, noting, however, there were parts of the internal layout where passengers would for the first time be able to shower on long-haul routes.

Pressed about why the souvenir shops and other like luxuries were axed, Mr Flanagan replied: "We'd be glad if the opposition did that, because the price would have to go up.

"Aeroplanes make their money from filling seats."

Emirates has ordered 45 of the cavernous A380s, which come into service in September 2006.

Each will be capable of carrying 135 more passengers than the current model Boeing 747-400 extended range airliner.

But for carriers such as Emirates, the A380 is expected to be less costly to fly and operate much longer legs than its Boeing rival.

Airbus claims the A380 will fly 1543 km further than a 747-400ER.

"When the aircraft is full there will not be much room for cargo, so we have had to buy freighters," he said.

"We make more money from carrying passengers, so it makes good economic sense to be doing this," he added, noting it would operate long haul routes.

These include direct Melbourne and Sydney services to Dubai, and to New York and Chicago non-stop from the carrier's home base.

"We will also have it on routes where at the moment we are pushed for slots.

"We can't expect to get more slots into London at the moment where we have seven flights a day."

And the route chosen for the first service?

"Probably Dubai-London," he replied.

And the first test flight by Airbus?

Mr Flanagan said these were expected this January with Singapore Airlines, because it had chosen an engine type that would be available earlier.

SIA is expected to receive its first of a 10-plane order in May 2006.

Qantas, too, has confirmed an aircraft order with Airbus for 12 A380s.

=========================================

MoFo
5th Nov 2004, 23:39
Would anyone except the media fall for the Airbus rubbish spouted when the aircraft was announced. Did the extras extend to a grand piano and a heated swimming pool as well?

I never cease to be amused at the gullibility of the media for these PR stunts.

cyclops camel
6th Nov 2004, 03:35
These gimmicks were never in the game play. The more seats the more revenue - that's simple. The only reason the 380 will not have 800 seats is the evacuation requirements. As such, there will be about 20% more room per pax seat. This will translate into mega room for F/J and maybe 10% more width and legroom in Y class.

Eastwest Loco
6th Nov 2004, 10:14
"We make more money from carrying passengers" ?????

Oh - yeah - right mate!!

Well known fact - freight pays far better than passenger. If freight was such a burden then why would the gentleman also be saying they would be looking at dedicated freighter aeroplanes.

We may be be green but we aint that grassy.

Best all.

EWL

HAMO
6th Nov 2004, 11:35
EWL

Suggest having a look at the latest EK Annual Report - pax revenue significant higher than cargo!

Eastwest Loco
6th Nov 2004, 11:57
Accept that HAMO

However I am talking kilo for kilo. In general terms airfreight on most runs pays much better than passenger. If this were not the case, there would not be DHL Emery FEDEX and God knows how many other cargo only airlines running worldwide.

If EK decide to eliminate freight as a viable load component of the A380, but consider running a seperate freight aeroplane then there must be a dollar in the non self loading freight for them - particularly hubbing over a city in a less than productive but gvery rich region.

Last I heard Jenny Craig may be needed to cure a 14,000 kg over max ZFW problem with the A380. That would not help the freight uplift potential either.

Imagine that. Having to lose the equivalent of a Dash 8 from the airframe of an aeroplane to meet your design and sales promises and still retain design integrity and safety.

I hope they can do it and would bet that they can.

Best all

EWL

Andu
7th Nov 2004, 04:02
EWL, I think you might be close to the heart of the matter in your comments re the Eh?380. It’s not that EK wants to use a dedicated freighter aircraft on the routes that will be served by the 380, but more that they (already!) recognise they will have to.

I suspect it will be a repeat – on a larger scale – of their experience with the 340. The 345 takes off from Dubai at MTOW and lands at SYD at MLW – and all the payload it can carry is a full pax load and their baggage. No room for freight if they have a full pax load. (I understand EK sends freight overland from Sydney to Brisbane or Melbourne to stick it on the 777s, and as soon as they get enough 777s, the Boeings will be taking over all Oz services.)

I may be allowing cynicism to rule my opinions, but the 380 looks like following, yet again, that grand old Eerboos tradition – arriving on the line heavier, slower (and probably later) than promised.

Spare a thought for the poor sods who’ll be operating the Megaboos down the road in Abu Dhabi for Etihad. I see in the latest edition of Flight International that four of their first five 380s will be the proving test flight prototypes, which will be considerably heavier than the standard 380. The pax on those particular aircraft should get even more leg room. Etihad management have obviously decided that any price is worth paying just to get the 380 ahead of EK. They have plans to have more aircraft than EK ‘as soon as possible’. Where they’re going to fit them at Abu Dhabi also remains to be seen.