PDA

View Full Version : IRQ.s and such

PPRuNe Pop
5th Nov 2004, 15:57
Just changed my case. Straightforward, really and when I switched on it almost, almost, worked as before. I expected it to want to re-install drivers but I may have a different problem.

I have three cards on my mobo, one of which is a Maxtor PCI ATA133 Ultra IDE Controller - the machine is asking for drivers and I know they must be there because it has been in the machine for 18 months or more working superbly well. Trouble is I cannot remember the PCI Slot I took it out of, and I think this may be at the root of the problem. I am suspecting an IRQ clash - is this possibe? If not what other problem could it be.

I also have a DVD-ROM, CD-DVD-RW and a CD-ROM. ALL have changed their drive letters!

PPP

PPRuNe Pop
5th Nov 2004, 19:23
I thought I would move the card up one PCI. It worked so it was an IRQ problem.

But why have my drive letters for the CD-ROMS changed? :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Nov 2004, 19:34
PPRuNe Pop,

I think we had the Controller in PCI Slot 4, but I do not remember now.

The Drivers are still in the computer, you could point the Drivers at the folder that Windows wants to install them into and let it read them from there.

You could also get the latest Drivers from:

Download Ultra ATA 100/133 PCI Adapter Card Driver (http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software Downloads/Accessories&downloadID=10&displayEULA=true)

Now if you want to get your Drive Letters, go to:

Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management

and click on Disk Management. In there you can set the drive letters. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

PPRuNe Pop
7th Nov 2004, 20:05
What a good memory Richard. That is exactly where it is now and working just as it did before. Thanks a lot.

As for the drive letters, I have tried what you suggest but I seem to dig a trench for myself and they don't want to 'play.'

CD 0 = E / CD 1 = G / CD 3 = D HDD's are C, F and H

CD's used to be D, E and G in above order. :rolleyes:

? :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Nov 2004, 20:29
Don,

You could disconnect all the Drives that do not have the Drive Letters you want and add them back in, one by one. (That was the way we originally did it when you installed WinXP.

Add the Drive, set the Drive Letter, add the next Drive, set the Drive Letter, etc. till you are done. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

mikedurward
7th Nov 2004, 21:31
Hiya

As Richard says, go to disk management. Change ALL the drives latters to the last ones in the alphabet. The remane them in the order you want them.

Mike