PDA

View Full Version : Sending emails through Hotmail from Outlook

Islander Jock
5th Nov 2004, 15:19
Being half way around the world from home I have configured my Outlook Express account to send through hotmail when dialled into the local ISP. Can the same be done using Outlook?

Have done a search on help etc but appears not be possible. Bit of a pain receiving my emails on one program then having to change to another to send. Or should I just bite the bullet and do all my sending and receiving on Outlook Express?

All_Boxed_Off_Mate
5th Nov 2004, 17:03
Islander,
Looks like Micros**te arn`t earning enough money if this is anything to go by.....:mad:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/28/hotmail_from_outlook_fees/

willby
5th Nov 2004, 23:20
Hi Islander Jock,
Could you please provide info on how to configure Outlook Express to download Hotmail emails......i.e. The POP3 address etc for Hotmail.
Thanks
Willby

Ausatco
6th Nov 2004, 01:01
willby,

Hotmail is an HTTP email service, it does not have pop3 details because it is not a pop3 system.

Here's how you set up a Hotmail account in OE: (you must already have a Hotmail account, this won't create one for you)

[list=1]
Open Outlook Express
From the menu, select Tools|Accounts
Click the Mail tab
Click the Add button
Choose Mail from the flyout menu
On the resulting screen, enter your preferred name, then click Next
On the resulting screen enter your preferred reply address, then click Next
On the resulting screen, where it says "My incoming mail server is" select HTTP from the drop-down list. This will change some options on the screen to those relevant to HTTP mail.
Now, where it says "My HTTP mail service provider is" select Hotmail from the drop-down list. This last action causes other options become irrelevant and they are greyed out. Click Next
In the resulting screen type in your Hotmail name, eg [email protected]. Click Next
Click Finish
[/list=1]

AA

Helli-Gurl
6th Nov 2004, 01:09
Hi,

Microsoft have stopped the use of OE with the free version of Hotmail, so if you havent already added it you won't be able to and you'd need to upgrade to the version you have to pay for to be able to do this.

I only found by chance..........

Ana
x

Islander Jock
6th Nov 2004, 04:37
G'day Helli-Gurl,
When did MS do that? I bought my notebook only about 3 weeks back with XP pro and configured OE to send through hotmail 4 days ago. It's working fine so far.

BEagle
6th Nov 2004, 07:22
Nope - it comes up with a screen saying that Micro$oft no longer allows OE to use free Hotmail........

Presumably that's to get you to look at all the advertising junk which clutters the normal Hotmail site.

No big deal really - it's just as easy to use the local ISP and access your proper e-mail account through www.mail2web.com rather than having to tell people to use Hotmail when you're away.

I only use my Hotmail account now as a last resort if my proper e-mail system is down.

Avtrician
6th Nov 2004, 11:35
Just added a Hotmail account to my OE and it worked ok.

Just did it (added new email acct that is) with Outlook (ver 2002) with no problems either

:ok:

willby
6th Nov 2004, 17:54
Hi Ausatco,
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Regards
Willby

Ausatco
7th Nov 2004, 00:24
Islander Jock

The thread seems to have drifted away from your original question.

Yes, you can use Outlook for Hotmail. If your Hotmail account is working on Outlook Express, then I suspect it will also work on Outlook. Mine does.

Try this:
[list=1]
Open Outlook
From the menu click Tools, then Email accounts
In the resulting window, under the Email heading, click the "Add a new email account" button, then click Next
In the resulting window click the HTTP button, then Next
In the resulting screen fill in the details asked for. If you need explanation use the "?" button in the top right of the window. Also browse the More Settings button. Outlook seems to set reasonable defaults there, but it may be worth checking.
Click Next
Click Finish
[/list=1]
AA

Helli-Gurl
7th Nov 2004, 20:56
That's exactly what I get when I try BEagle, I think it's a fairly recent thing but I've tried it in a few places such as my laptop, and in an internet cafe and get the the same thing now..

What is strange is my version of Outlook 2002 (not OE) allows me to access it ok..but no big deal as it's been pointed out, it's just as easy to get you're own email via you're own ISP whereever you are and you don't get any silly 2Mb storage limits or limits on the size of attachements...

Personally I think it's all a ploy by Microsloth to get everyone to upgrade to their service you pay big bucks for!!

I've just set up a gmail account now for if I ever get really stuck but as I only fly helo's the chances of me ever being too far from home are minimal and I can get my email to my phone now and do messenger etc......now all I have to do is teach my long haul pilot boyfriend the art of keeping intouch!

:bored:

Ana
x

timmcat
23rd Nov 2004, 12:45
Brought this to the top again as gmail now support pop3. Been using it all morning - it's also a lot faster than hotmail in connecting. For novices, there is a small executable file which, when run, sets up the mail account with the server settings automatically.