PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem - Balakovo NPP Russia - 0630Z

Boss Raptor
5th Nov 2004, 12:55
Dont ask me what got calls since 0630 this morning and am now on the move...not quite sure what I can do we'll wait to see

BlueDiamond
5th Nov 2004, 13:17
I hope you're going in the opposite direction, BossR.

MOSCOW. Nov 5 (Interfax) - The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry has denied rumors of an accident at the Balakovo nuclear power station in Saratov region.

"Conditions for the safe operation of the Balakovo nuclear power station have not been breached in the past few years," ministry spokesman Viktor Beltsov told Interfax on Friday.

On Thursday, an emergency safeguard switched on at power unit two, which is now disconnected from the power network, he said.

Let's hope we're not looking at another Chernobyl.

Boss Raptor
5th Nov 2004, 13:30
That is 'old' news yesterday all people within 100 km radius were told not to work/school etc. and was total panic...they were told 'thank you for your co-operation, no need to panic, nothing serious, stay calm, all is under control'

Balakovo 2 a relatively new VVER-1000 unit (much more advanced to Chernobyl type) is offline and looks like problem is continuing...I assume seeing as I am daft/a mug situation is not getting better and they must be desperate!

I am going in exactly that direction...

BlueDiamond
5th Nov 2004, 13:47
Take care then, BossR and keep us posted if you can.

DishMan
5th Nov 2004, 13:47
Make sure you put on the lead lined underpants BR

Good Luck! :uhoh:

Gainesy
5th Nov 2004, 15:51
Following from Moscow Times' "Hot News" section (approprately).

Repairs finalized at Balakovo NPP

Interfax. Friday, Nov. 5, 2004, 4:48 PM Moscow Time

SARATOV. Nov 5 (Interfax-Volga) - A damaged section of the cord that links the second power generating unit of the Balakovo nuclear power plant to the power grid has been repaired, and an inquiry is now underway to establish why the power unit stopped on Thursday.
"At 10:30 a.m., a backup unit was switched on. Radiation levels at the Balakovo nuclear power plant are normal, and the reactor is functioning as usual," says a report of Rinat Khalikov, chief federal inspector for the Saratov region, circulated on Friday

Astrodome
5th Nov 2004, 16:52
MOSCOW. Nov 5 (Interfax) - The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry has denied rumors of an accident at the Balakovo nuclear power station in Saratov region.

"At 10:30 a.m., a backup unit was switched on. Radiation levels at the Balakovo nuclear power plant are normal, and the reactor is functioning as usual," says a report of Rinat Khalikov, chief federal inspector for the Saratov region, circulated on Friday

Looks like something big HAS happened.

I should head West if I was you BR!

:ok: ;) :D

Tolsti
5th Nov 2004, 18:14
From the looks of this article this power station has been a problem on several occasions before

http://www.bellona.no/en/international/russia/npps/balakovo/12676.html

BlueDiamond
6th Nov 2004, 10:05
Where are you, BossR ... you okay?? Should we cancel the SAR watch yet??

Boss Raptor
6th Nov 2004, 16:49
In MOW doing my Xmas shopping...situation resolved...although I believe was a little bit worse than they publically made out but not exactly immediately 'dangerous' - but did take nearly a day to stabilise

In simple terms the feed from the generator to the electrical grid failed which caused a back surge back thru' the generator system, steam turbines, heat exchanger, cooling system temperature goes v. high etc. - bit like you changing gear to neutral with foot on accelerator - usual procedure is to reduce output on the reactor and onwards in sequence before dumping the electrical load like that - last time a surge like on Balakovo 2 happened an outlet valve blew and released nominally radioactive steam from the secondary cooling system to atmosphere - whether they did or didnt vent the overpressure to atmosphere this time is under 'debate' - officially not...but then why issue a local warning for the public to stay in side (OK so maybe they were just playing safe)

Safety procedure/response assessment in hand and the file is closed

PS my warped sense of humour always brings visions of the 'Ready Brek Kids' and that old Not The Nine O' Clock News spoof version 'Buy a house in Windscale' - showing my age now :E

tony draper
6th Nov 2004, 18:22
Windscale land is still hot in places, the milk produced by the cows in the area is radioactive and undrinkable and I do not think one is allowed to shag the sheep there yet.
:rolleyes:

BlueDiamond
6th Nov 2004, 23:53
I do not think one is allowed to shag the sheep there yet.

I'm sure they'll notify you when it's all clear to proceed, Mr. Draper. :E

Glad it turned out okay, BossR ... SAR watch cancelled.

:ok:

BlueWolf
7th Nov 2004, 07:19
Glad you're OK, Boss , and that the rest of us aren't in any more immediate danger than may have been the case beforehand; but surely to Christ, it can't be that difficult to fit a one-way voltage regulator between the grid and the generator?:confused:
I mention this because I have myself in the past employed just such a system on a micro-hydro generation setup, using automotive parts. It ain't rocket science.

Boss Raptor
7th Nov 2004, 08:23
That would make no difference at all - it comes down to rapid load shedding and a chain reaction starting back down thru the system i.e. unloaded generators give force back to the steam turbines due magnetic induction, steam turbines put over pressure back onto the steam units/heat exchanger and so on down the line whilst at the same time reactor is still producing at high load for that short time the result is a thermal surge from one end and massive overpressure/stress from the other, the time between actual reactor output run down, reduction in coolant temperature and switching in of additional cooling and/or system relief can be critical and as I said above equates to the revs on yr car engine jumping up when/if you depress the clutch/go to neutral with accelerator down - it should not be forgotten that most power reactors become most unhappy about being slammed into idle and many have abnormal/unusual/unpredictable characteristics under this scenario, as they do if kept at low output/low/no load for any length of time

flapsforty
7th Nov 2004, 10:22
Boss was that the skecth where they asked:

Would you like your kids to glow in the dark?

Boss Raptor
7th Nov 2004, 10:31
That is the one 'Buy A House Near Windscale' same episode as the 'I Like Trucking' or was it 'I Like Bouncing Boing Boing Boing...' song...

Seriously I got static charge from my duvet cover in bed the other night and my hands and nails had a green glow - shAt myself :ok:

PS. should add I understand the whole reactor unit/powergenset and ancillary systems are still offline and having an overload inspection which could take some weeks ;)