PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Cadetship

MaMoO
5th Nov 2004, 11:49
Hey there...
im currently doing Year 12 in Sydney, im holding a GFPT at the moment. What i want to know is if there is anyone around here that has been through a cadetship with Qantas or similar, their opinions about it, and whether or not the course is a recommended way of getting into the airline industry.
The Qantas Cadetship is merely a course whereby Qantas trains you up, AT YOUR EXPENSE through approved flight schools, after graduating you are found a job for 2 years, and thereafter CONSIDERED,not GUARANTEED and apparently in some cases not even considered for emplyment at the airline.
Guidance regarding this issue is highly appreciated.

PA28R
20th Nov 2004, 11:06
GOOD DAY MATE

THIS QUANTAS CADETSHIP IS NOT BAD I AM DOING MY TRAINING AT GENERAL FLYING SCHOOL AT MOORABIN I DID MY CPL AND IR WITH ATPL AND DOING MY CITATION BRAVO F/O TRAINING IF U WANNA A JOB IN AIRLINE FIND A JOB IN REGIONAL AIRLINES AND THEN APPLY COZ THERE ARE QANTAS CADETS WHO ARE DOING THERE COURSE IN G.F.S AND AFTER THERE COURSE THEY ARE STILL IN POOL AND SOME OF THEM ARE WORKING AS A INSTRUCTOR SO DNT WASTE UR TIME IN APPLYING QANTAS CADETS.

CHEERS

shnev
20th Nov 2004, 12:29
The Qantas cadetship is very competitive, but this in no way means that you can't get it. I went for testing (stage 2) a couple of months back as a level 2 entrant and missed out. My advice is go for it and see how far you get in the interview process (if you don't mind paying the $165- testing fee! And also the effort required in preparing).

A good friend of mine got right up to the panel interview (level 1 cadet) last year, and went no further after that. This year he applied as a level 2, and they didn't even offer him initial (stage 2) testing! Who knows what they are after... There's no harm in trying.

Goodluck with whatever you do - but remember that all flying is fun, depending on your attitude. I've just entered the GA world flying C200 series aeroplanes, and having the time of my life! Enjoy it while you're young, the airline work can come later ;)

sh

redsnail
20th Nov 2004, 13:02
MaMoO,
You may get a better response over in the Dunnunda &Godzone forums.
Any way, as has been said, you've got nothing to lose. You're going to pay the cash any way to get your licences. I believe QF places people in the industry for ~2 years. Note, you probably won't be flying some beat up old C206 in the bush flying some of the indigenous population to another remote spot in the desert but you'll be a FO on a turbine. (I believe you have to pay ~$10K -check the QF website for the details on that one).

Qantas isn't the only airline in Oz but it's certainly the biggest. The sooner you get wise to recruiting practices the better off you'll be. Get the best possible grades you can whilst at school, it'll save some grief later on if you try to get into QF as a direct entry pilot.

WRT to being hired after all of this. If you've done their course and maintained a good show of progress all the way through and have not shown any arrogant attitudes (ie keen to fly, enjoy any flying work, get stuck into the study and do well etc) then there's no real reason why they won't take you on.

This scheme means you effectively by-pass the instructing/bush flying/charter work that the rest of us do to gain the hours required by Qantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Qantaslink, Rex, Skippers, Skywest, Mac-air and National Jet. If you think getting into Qantaslink means an inside run to Qantas Mainline then forget it right now.

AIRWAY
20th Nov 2004, 13:20
Congratulations Nev :ok:

:cool:

MaMoO
27th Nov 2004, 02:32
thanks alot for all your replies, cleared up quite a few issues i had on my mind, but iv had to change my mind regarding becoming a career pilot as the passing of my dad meant that theres no way of supporting my training as well as my family, so this brings me on to the engineering apprenticeships that qantas have...
being a LAME, whats the difference compared to an aeronautical engineer straight out of uni?
does being a LAME pay well??
any other experiences regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks once again:-)

AIRWAY
27th Nov 2004, 09:24
G'day MamoO,

Im sorry to hear about your dad,hold in there. Dont quit your dream, it's harder now but not impossible, take another route, get a plan "B" like you mention engineering is a good move but also try and do your PPL, at least your flying and building the hours once in awhile and who knows later on in life you can always progress and do your comercial and so on, but via the modular route which is much cheaper.

If you need anything else just PM me.

Regards and all the best,
AIRWAY