PDA

View Full Version : Dvd

semirigid rotor
4th Nov 2004, 19:33
Some of you may already know this, but I'm always last to find out any news!

Last year the Society of Experimental Test Pilots held a symposium to celebrate 100 years of powered flight. It was a who's who of test flying, not only our American friends but the British, French and Germans were represented too. Now they have put the whole thing on DVD. Fascinating stories and tales by the people who actually made aviation what it is today, (it's also very funny in places!)

The DVD costs $60 for all six DVD's and can be bought online at: www.SETP.org

If you are as sad as me about aviation, it's compelling viewing!:D

Genghis the Engineer
4th Nov 2004, 19:58
Hey I said that already !

That said, my set arrived this week, just need 12 hours with Mrs.G out of the house so that I can relive that rather amazing week - maybe sometmie in December between my PhD viva and Christmas, anybody want to join me and bring the beers?

My favourite moment of the whole thing I didn't get on Camera. It was the second day of the symposium, I'd turned up, grabbed a bun and cup of tea and sat down to wake up before the first presentation started at 0800. A middle aged American strolled up with his breakfast, introduced himself as Rick and asked if he could sit with me. I agreed, and we were sat chatting aviation when another chap came up and tapped Rick on the shoulder - Rick turned around

Rick "Hey Bob, how ya doing"
(turns around)
"Genghis, meet my old friend Bob Crippen, he commanded my first Shuttle mission, Bob - meet Genghis - he's a Brit Test Pilot".

I did find myself using the word "Sir" a lot that week! For the record Bob Crippen (who I still remember watching on THE first Shuttle flight, along with several hundred others in the school Gym on our one and only school TV) said he'd only really come to hear what Burt Rutan had to say but had then been talking into appearing on stage).

It is worth having !

G

Relatively junior member of SETP, but since they did give me my gold "X" badge, feel extremely privileged to be a member of the same club as these chaps.

semirigid rotor
4th Nov 2004, 22:37
Sorry Genghis, I did say that I was always last with he news!

treadigraph
4th Nov 2004, 22:57
I'll bring the beers... well, cider anyway. We can debate flying versus delta wings! I'll probably lose...

We must be of an age: I recall being very slightly under age in a fairly well known pub on the River Hamble for the first post-space Shuttle landing (1981 for you neophytes) the commentary mentioned after the successful landing that there would be a slight delay before Bob Crippen and (John Young?) emerged... "Woi's that then" demanded a voice amongst the inebriated audience (obviously for legal reasons I wasn't - pi$$ed I mean)... Came the reply thus: "Cos they have to clear bleedin' customs don' t they..."

Ah well, seemed funny at the time!

Just been sitting in the pub with a scientific mate discussing how Burt Rutan has basically put a VariEze in space... phenominal!