PDA

View Full Version : 3 Black Watch soldiers killed

Doppelganger
4th Nov 2004, 17:27
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3983443.stm

Condolences to their families and comrades.

SilsoeSid
4th Nov 2004, 17:29
From Sky;

TROOPS KILLED IN AMBUSH

Three members of the Black Watch and a civilian translator have been killed in an ambush in Iraq, Armed Forces minister Adam Ingram has said.

Eight soldiers were wounded in the attack, which took place in a Black Watch patrol area.

Mr Ingram confirmed to the House of Commons that medical support was immediately provided by US troops at the scene.

But the exact details of how and where the four died are not known.

--------------------------

RIP Jocks

Brian Dixon
4th Nov 2004, 18:09
Sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of these brave soldiers.

RIP

WE Branch Fanatic
4th Nov 2004, 18:50
My sincere condolences for everyone involved - I am thinking of you.

air pig
4th Nov 2004, 20:07
I can only agree with previous posts, sincere condolences to the families, friends and the Regiment at such a traumatic time.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
4th Nov 2004, 20:17
Absolutely tragic. And unnecessary. My deepest sympathy.

moggiee
4th Nov 2004, 22:22
Appalling news - sympathies to all.

I don't expect Tony Bliar and Buff Hoon will lose sleep over it though.

Richae
4th Nov 2004, 22:35
Sincere condolences. Thoughts and prayers for the families.

rivetjoint
5th Nov 2004, 07:12
My deepest sympathy to all those involved.
Hopefully the media will now respect the fact that your nationality makes no difference to the insurgents.

walter kennedy
5th Nov 2004, 21:24
Is this not the kind of tragedy we feared/expected with the move?
With past experience of operating with Americans (remember the 2 APCs in the first Gulf war?) should we not have insisted on continuing to operate in our own defined areas in our own way - British forces were doing an excellent job in the south - curse the politicians.

West Coast
5th Nov 2004, 21:28
Fratracide is always a tradjedy, this however had nothing to do with that.

LoeyDaFrog
5th Nov 2004, 23:20
They sahll not grow old, as we that are left grow old....

whowhenwhy
6th Nov 2004, 08:18
So 3 more of our troops have lost their lives in what is and always has been an illegal war, precipitated by the lies of politicians. Come on Jacko, when are you lot actually going to start giving Blair and his mob the real hard time that they deserve? He lied and led us into a war that broke international law. No matter the fact that we got rid of a bloody dictator, there's plenty of them around! Surely you journos must want answers to questions?? Start asking!

gravity victim
6th Nov 2004, 17:14
On a practical point, how can any soldiers reasonably be expected to do vehicle checks, standing alongside cars, vans etc when suicide bombers are being used? They didn't stand a chance.

Why cannot there be some way of using the available technology to set up a portable roadside gateway with explosives sniffers (such as lorries go through at the chunnel entrance and I think other UK ports) so that the guys can stand back till the occupants are out of ther car and explosives (maybe) detected? Our soldiers deserve better, and there has to be a safer way to appproach these nerve-shredding roadside inspections.

Captain Gadget
6th Nov 2004, 18:25
PPRuNers

My grandfather (who I never really knew, since he died when I was two years old) served in the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) as a Company Sergeant Major.

My father joined the Army as an Officer and would have joined the Black Watch if they'd let him, but it was then (as it still is) a small outfit and (I was told) some former Colonel's son got the only slot.

Nonetheless, I feel the Black Watch's loss on my family's behalf. I will wear their tartan with my poppy this Remembrance Day.

Gentlemen, as ever, respect.

They shall not grow old
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.

Gadget :ok: