PDA

View Full Version : Naked Fury (merged)

ontrackfor
4th Nov 2004, 08:11
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3607131&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

At least he would have been easy to scan for explosives.

Buster Hyman
4th Nov 2004, 12:06
Yeah, but he had 30cm of crack, so they charged him!http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/lachen/laughing-smiley-007.gif

itchy kitchin
4th Nov 2004, 14:10
He showed a lot of cheek doing that!
:E

Airbubba
4th Nov 2004, 14:14
Naked fury: streaker leaps on wheel of moving jumbo

November 4, 2004 - 10:57AM

A Canadian man, angry at being refused a plane ticket to Australia at Los Angeles International Airport, stripped naked, sprinted across the tarmac and climbed into the wheel well of a moving jumbo jet.

Airport officials said today that pilots of the Qantas Airways flight had stopped the aircraft when they became aware the man was attempting to climb aboard.

The man was coaxed out of the wheel well and arrested for trespassing, said airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles.

"This was an extremely dangerous thing for him to do. If he had continued to cling in there with the aircraft taking off at over 320km/h, he might have fallen out and could have been sucked up by an engine," she said.

"If he had survived that and was in the wheel well when the landing gear was retracted, he could have been crushed by the mechanism. And if not he very likely would have frozen to death during the 15-and-a-half hour flight at 9,150 metres while wearing no clothes."

The man, Neil Melly, 31, tried to buy a one-way ticket on the Qantas flight on Monday evening, but was turned down because he could not supply a valid credit card, Castles said.

Later, he managed to climb over an airport fence, topped by three strands of barbed wire, without injury and was spotted by a ramp worker "running, naked, full-speed" toward the plane.

Castles said a check by authorities found that Melly had been reported missing to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and was suffering from manic depression, or bi-polar disorder.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Naked-fury-streaker-leaps-on-wheel-of-moving-jumbo/2004/11/04/1099362264631.html?oneclick=true#

Flip Flop Flyer
4th Nov 2004, 14:25
"This was an extremely dangerous thing for him to do. If he had continued to cling in there with the aircraft taking off at over 320 kph, he might have fallen out and could have been sucked up by an engine," she said.

.Falling out AND getting sucked into the engine. Bummer! I would personally have wished for an unobstructed fall to terra firma. Easier to bury the remains vs. being spread over a large area following penetration of a Roller at full chat. I think.

"If he had survived that and was in the wheel well when the landing gear was retracted, he could have been crushed by the mechanism. And if not he very likely would have frozen to death during the 15 1/2 hour flight at 9,150 metres while wearing no clothes."

If one survives falling out a wheel well, getting sucked in a turbo-fan of considerable diameter and umph, then manage to crawl back to the wheel well, I wouldn't be too worried about a bit of cold and missing O2

G-ANDY
4th Nov 2004, 15:05
It reminds me of an Arnie Swartzeniggggeerr film where he escapes his captors by jumping out of the nose heel bay of a Tri-Star when it was about 100-200 feet high on rotation/climb. He landed in some everglades unscathed. Alas, my hero!!!

G-ANDY

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 15:22
Sorry if I'm missing something, but why naked?

Gainesy
4th Nov 2004, 15:27
They can't see you when yer nekkid.
Just off to convert some lions to Christianity...

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 15:30
Do you think this guy went to the airport thinking "Right. If I can't get this ticket, I'm gonna strip nekkid, jump the fence and try to get in to the wheel well of the jet? That'll show 'em"

Mr Chips
4th Nov 2004, 15:43
Jerricho
Castles said a check by authorities found that Melly had been reported missing to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and was suffering from bi-polar disorder, a manic-depressive illness.
answer your question?

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 15:45
Aww Chippy, don't spoil the fun with facts.

You got sand in your groin this morning and had a sense of humour failure?

Mr Chips
4th Nov 2004, 15:47
Jerricho I'm an ATSA, I live to give answers to questions from ATCOs....

(and having spent all morning on TC North West - what sense of humour???)

:cool:

Big Tudor
4th Nov 2004, 15:55
bi-polar disorder,
Is that what they call it when a Canadian tries to travel to Australia? :\

Mr Chips
4th Nov 2004, 15:59
Hmmmm, thinking about it, bloke from Canada tries to cop a free ride to Australia.....

Who do we know that might think about undertaking such a trip.....

Jerricho?????? :p

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 16:04
I'll give you a hint Chippy.

I hate flying at the best of times, and for me to get on an airyplane, I have to be quite inebiated, thus making scaling a fence and running more than a challenge.

It could explain the nekkidness though.

TheOddOne
4th Nov 2004, 16:05
That 'ramp worker' deserves a medal.

I've had to attend 2 dead bodies hanging from the noselegs of ariving 747s, a Kenyan and a Cuban. At least I knew on the second occasion what to expect. The people I felt most for were the Head of Stand guys who met the aircraft to plug in the FEGP, completely unprepared for that kind of event. I believe that both stowaways died from crushing injuries when the gear retracted, rather than hypothermia or hypoxia.

To my mind, airport security is just as much about preventing these tragedies as it is about discouraging bin Laden's lot. It's EVERYONE'S job airside to take action if they see anyone suspicious, though I guess in this case, it was pretty obvious!

I suppose if someone's deranged they're not going to really consider the consequences too well. Maybe publicity of the consequences of stowing away would help, or on the other hand it might encourage someone to try.

The Odd One

witchdoctor
4th Nov 2004, 19:53
Just how do you coax a naked man out of a wheel well? Not exactly something to be found in company SOPs.

Maybe they threatened him with Lorena Bobitt. :}

lead zeppelin
4th Nov 2004, 20:16
Those are the 'bare' facts........... CNN is doing an 'expose' on the guy......... He was expecting a 'hard' landing............. the gyro's had 'fast erect'...........that's the 'naked' truth!

:D

click
4th Nov 2004, 23:22
My guess is that he was trying to get away from Revenue Canada....:E

They got everything else and now wanted their pound of flesh:}

Imagine having to make that phone call to the relatives......we found him!:}

chiglet
4th Nov 2004, 23:38
andy, I always thought that it was a DC10 :confused:
watp,iktch

I am Birddog
5th Nov 2004, 03:50
Being Canadian myself I can truly understand why he decided to go naked on his 'Quantas Quest'. Canadian whiskey does nutty things to a person. This clearly tells me "Neil Melly" was on the sauce and unsupervised.:hmm: A common event in some ranchy corners of this great, vast country. http://www.go****yourself.com/images/smilies/NEW/338.gif

Cheers http://www.go****yourself.com/images/smilies/NEW/2drinkspit.gif

Val d'Isere
5th Nov 2004, 07:47
The cheek(s) of some passengers!

Is it true they're retracting all charges, even though Melly does'nt have a leg to stand on?

A spokesman is reported to have said "Melly was no threat, though at first glance we suspected him to be a member of a crack terrorist organisation. A stiff time in prison would not have helped and we could'nt see him hang."

A cover up is suspected.

Buster Hyman
5th Nov 2004, 10:44
Now, just exactly what was he hiding in his undercarriage?....Oh, I get it!:O

Sgt.Peppeh
5th Nov 2004, 12:23
Heh-heh ..I was just worried had he got to FL30 he would have been `wee willie winkled `and still not qualified for the mile high club.
:{

ontrackfor
5th Nov 2004, 12:31
A Canadian man
angry at being refused a plane ticket to Australia
stripped naked, sprinted across the tarmac and climbed into the wheel well of a moving jumbo jet.
Obviously spent too much time growing up in Australia.

Jerricho
5th Nov 2004, 15:17
Now if he was an Ozmate, he would have been carrying an esky full of booze for the trip.

Flypro
5th Nov 2004, 15:25
I think he knew the route would be Bi-Polar:ok:

ontrackfor
5th Nov 2004, 15:33
If he was an Ozmate, he would have been banging on the wheel-well squawking for a VB.

Jerricho
5th Nov 2004, 20:42
banging on the wheel-well

I thought he was alone.

Buster Hyman
6th Nov 2004, 06:09
I thought he was alone.
He was.....:ugh:

Lee-a-Roady Moor
6th Nov 2004, 11:47
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
banging on the wheel-well
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought he was alone.

Very subtle..... I like it...:) :ok: