PDA

View Full Version : Gmail

Rollingthunder
4th Nov 2004, 03:33
Got an invite for this from my bro. Got two weeks left to decide. Having departed Eudora previously due to enormously excessive spam am now with Yahoo which works quite well - 100MB storage and no spam whatsoever........so far. I would switch but am conscious of putting people through the process of changing my address again. What to do?

UniFoxOs
4th Nov 2004, 07:18
Take it, use it just enough to keep it alive while keeping your Yahoo as your main email. Switch to it full-time when your Yahoo address gets into the hands of too many spammers.

mullers
4th Nov 2004, 08:41
I have been using it for a couple of months now. It is fairly good although I don't find it as user-friendly as my hotmail account. Planning on keeping it active as its always useful to have an email account with such a large capacity. Perhaps you should do the same?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
4th Nov 2004, 08:50
I just upgraded my BT broadband to 1MB and got a second address with it. You can have up to 10 addresses on the same account, 1GB of storage and I've found that with two addresses you can let the people/agemcies you want to know your new address but keep your old one for anything else. I just adjusted the spam filter on it to maximum.

Cheers, NEO.

timmcat
4th Nov 2004, 10:59
Its been working OK for me too over the past few months. They keep fine tuning it and it just gets better.

I also use it as a back up (like a virtual hard drive) for some of the more important stuff that I would be lost without.

Had just the one spam mail.

Tolsti
4th Nov 2004, 11:06
How can I get a gmail acct.....PLEASE GUYS AND LADIES.... getting hit on my hotmail by phishers. Anyone there able to offer me an invitation?

timmcat
4th Nov 2004, 11:15
Tolsti, PM me your email address, I'll do it straight away.

Captain Efis
4th Nov 2004, 12:13
Hello,

I still have a few gmail invitations letf if anyone wants one...

Cheers

phnuff
4th Nov 2004, 13:32
I am not a conspiracy theorist and so don't round on me, but on the subject of gmail

/Gmail (http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/)

Guern
4th Nov 2004, 19:58
If anyone has a free invite for Gmail going spare that would be great.

Cheers

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
4th Nov 2004, 20:22
Why do you need an invite ? Can't you just do it yourself ? Very happy with my yahoo, once I adjusted the spam filter and all that stuff..........

SyllogismCheck
4th Nov 2004, 21:07
I'm not sure why gmail has so much negative press such as in the link above.
So they may archive your mail, so what? Personally I would never use a free web based mail account for anything sensitive anyway. If the bench mark is Hotmail then its not set very high in security terms as Hotmail is incredibly insecure and passwords are unbelieveably easy to reset with just a few scraps of information about the account.

Best bet is to set the account up, use it a bit, wait for it to improve (which it should massively as its only a beta version at the moment) and then when all the hype either for or against has been sorted out make a decision if you want to use it permanently or not.

May as well register now though and get an address you want while it still has relatively few subscribers and they are available.

Whats to lose? Just abandon it if it doesnt prove to be good although I imagine it will turn out well once its complete if it continues shaping up as it is.

Guern
5th Nov 2004, 18:06
Nigerian Expat Outlaw you need an invite as it is beta testing , you can't just sign up for it yet.

Tolsti
23rd Nov 2004, 16:35
I have 3 gmail invites to pass out if anyone is interested in one. PM me with your email address and I'll send you one.

Folks, please don't hand out Gmail invites here - plenty of other places for that.