PDA

View Full Version : Giving up the booze..........short term

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 01:13
Over the past couple of years I have set aside the first 2 weeks in November as totally "booze free". I do enjoy a beer or two as much as the next person (and whisky, that's my huge weakenss), but I've had some interesting reactions from various people ranging from "Good idea" to "2 whole weeks...........bloody hell".

Anybody else do a similar thing?

Richo77
4th Nov 2004, 01:37
I know a few people who do it on occassion, but i used to have 2 heavy drinking Managing Directors who would abstain for a whole month!. Naturally they chose February being the shortest and you were always guaranteed they would be banging on the pub door at 10am March 1st.

Good Luck!.. youre a stronger man than i Gunga Din

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 01:42
I'll be honest. It is in preparation for the festive season. Gotta give the liver a bit of a breather.

tinpis
4th Nov 2004, 02:47
Tin went orf the pi$$ for a month once.
Dunno why.

Atlas Shrugged
4th Nov 2004, 04:30
hiccup.....! :\ :\

Val d'Isere
4th Nov 2004, 06:03
A month's abstinence proves nothing in terms of being addicted or not.

Obviously, a reging alchoholic will be rooted out by such a "test", but then a raging alchoholic would be easy to root out anyway.

To give your liver a rest would involve 6 months plus of complete abstinence.

On which happy notes, cheers! :E

OzExpat
4th Nov 2004, 06:56
Preparing yer liver for the festive season Jerricho? :eek: I never realised that you're such a wooss! :p

Capt Claret
4th Nov 2004, 07:01
A friend in the middle of a church sermon on the evils of alcohol, was telling himself he didn't need alcohol, and that he could stop drinking alcohol any time he wanted to, decided to go on the wagon for 6 months from July to December, with one brief respite in November when he was to attend a conference dinner that cost him $90.

At said conference, by 2130 he was slurring his words. By 2230 he was talking gibberish. He has a vague recollection of going to the dunny at about midnight. When he :zzz: woke up cradling the porcelain bus he was covered in crusty semi-dried whatsit :yuk: and on retuning to the restaurant propper, found all the lights out and the chairs up on the tables. It was about 0430! :eek:

He felt his way around the darkened walls until a bar moved, and the door opened. He could hear a cachophanous siren wailing and lights-a-flashing. He decided he needed to lie down and rest. While resting in the horizontal position, on Stokes Hill Wharf, then Darwin's main wharf, he was vaguely aware of more flashing lights, and sirens, and voices.

He woke from his slumber at about 1100, with the tropical sun almost overhead, and no more semi-dried whatsit, it was now all bone dry!! :yuk: :yuk: A veeeerrryyyyy slow walk into town to find an ATM, to get money for a cab, to get home, all looking- and smelling, like a vagrant.

The morals of the story?

Don't listen to church sermons.
If you're going to listen to church sermons, don't make rash decisions in the middle of same.
If you're going to go on the wagon do it permanantly, of for only a little bit of time, or come off it SLOWLY!
:E

tony draper
4th Nov 2004, 07:05
Indeed, it takes about ten year of enthusiastic flinging the grog down ones neck for the average chap to destroy his liver and seven years to grow a new one,unless of course one is a exe footballer, ladies can go through a liver in about half that time, laying off for 14 days? hmmm, not sure that helps.

:rolleyes:

This is not a critisism, though one no longer inbibes one still smokes like a chimney, and coughs every morning like a roomfull of Bronte sisters, everybody needs at least one vice, otherwise one becomes a puritanical pain in the arse.
:rolleyes:

robroy
4th Nov 2004, 07:25
My wife and I have 3 months, on alcohol, then 1 month OFF, the demon drink.

Many ,many years ago, during a medical with my D.M.E, I asked the question, was it a good thing to have a couple of AFD ( alcohol free days ) a week.

His reply was, that it was useless to do that, one has to go off for at least 2 weeks, REGULARLY, to be of any benefit to ones body.

My reply was, how about a 3 months on, 1 month off.

His reply was, Great, but always have Feb. as a dry month.

I asked, Why?

Answer, well Feb is the shortest month, we don't want to get tooo serious about this, and that the definition of an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than his Doctor and he assured me that there were no alcoholics in his practice.

We arrange our "ON "months around our social program.

E.G. We have, Feb, June,and Oct on the dry, this works in with our birthdays, wedding anniversary, Xmas and a few other dates.

We find it quite easy to stop, as we know the 1st. of the month begins the "DRY ". I must admit the last day of the last "WET "month is a little ripper, say no more.

Drinks LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of WATER!!!, during the "DRY

I must admit the first 2 days of the month when we started this was a bit hard, but after the 2nd "DRY ""month, no worries.

Now, many years later, we don't even think about .

I even give up beer off the wood at the Brekky Creek Pub.

Hope it works for you all.

Cheers

robroy

BlueDiamond
4th Nov 2004, 07:25
I do enjoy a beer or two as much as the next person
If you enjoyed them as much as I do there wouldn't be any problem ... it's taken me years to be able to total more than four or five alcoholic drinks in any one year. Best record to date is two gin and tonics in one night!

Yeah, yeah ... I know ... I need more practice. :rolleyes:

Jerricho's Mistress
4th Nov 2004, 07:31
Darling, does this mean you won't be bringing that lovely champagne around as usual?

:{

2good2betrue
4th Nov 2004, 07:48
Wouldn't even cross my mind!

No alcohol unthinkable

:p

BlueWolf
4th Nov 2004, 08:12
For what it's worth, and with a request to the Mods for special dispensation re. the cut and paste, herewith a potted history from these very pages of one's own three week experience....terminating tomorrow.

One is undertaking an indeterminate period of abstinence from alcoholic beverages, in order that one's self-regenerating body may conduct some necessary maintenance on one's brain and liver. (Dry dock, one muses...)

Haven't done this in a while. Not entirely looking forward to it...

Sobriety Diary. Day One.

The morning was OK, but only because I felt as crook as a parrot. Cold on top of a hangover. 3 X Codral, 1 Aspro Extra Strength, plus fizzy vitamins with guarana.

Cold wet day so I didn't feel like a beer anyway.

Six o'clock news was tough, but it can be watched without a wine or two.

Fourth coffee of the day right now. Legs won't keep still. Did I really once go through 15 cups a day?

Thanks Bluey . I needed that.

Day Two. So far so good, but then it's only 1044 hours. Hellish night last night. Couldn't sleep; combination of Codral, the wind, and a complete lack of soporifics in my bloodstream. Finally nodded off sometime around 0100. Weird, intense, bizarre dreams.

Day Three, and it had to be a Monday. sprayer on the tractor took half the day to get working, only urgent because I had to put a magic frost-proofing spray on a block which doesn't have operational sprinklers yet. Should have, but boss had the dam built on the cheap, and guess what, it leaks.

Spray won't work either, but that's not my problem.

Ahh, hot soothing coffee.....

Day Four. Ugh. Cold, hayfever, aching kidneys. (Note to Self: Must cleanse renal system on more regular basis.)

Thanks to all well-wishers for messages of support.

In other news, it didn't freeze, after all that. Dam is no longer leaking.

No. 2 daughter and friend have left fudge unattended on kitchen bench. Fudge is yummy, and does not constitute alcohol. I may allow myself one small piece.

Day Five. Not much to report. Feels a little like being becalmed; at least one supposes that being becalmed would feel like this, never having been, as it were, becalmed.

Day Six...or should that be Day Sux? Cravings be bu&&ered, this is just plain BORING .

One shall, however, persevere in the meantime. One is only a day away from one's interim half-way point, and one has already proven (to oneself, at any rate) that one is not actually dependent on the stuff.

Day Seven. The seventh day. That's a week. And it's Friday. Friday night, actually. And a long weekend. Sigh....

Day Eight. This is not becoming harder, yet nor is it becoming less tedious.

Day Nine, Morning. Coffee and toast, a little light prooning, and then pouring concrete is the order of the day.

One does not actually feel too bad for it all. Might try that nutmeg trick tonight though.....

Day Nine, evening. Managed to get some concreting done in between rain showers.

Day Ten, evening. Labour Day has come and gone. If only Labour's day would go as well....

One laboured this day, much concreting was achieved, and after it, a cool refreshing gingerale.

Day Eleven. I think. If anyone's getting as bored with hearing about my self-imposed sobriety as I am with experiencing it, sing out.

Day Twelve. Hot, blustery (me, not the weather) and stuck on a spray tractor all day. God I hate Spring.
Thanks fin . Madame Wolf has been very supportive, and even claims I'm losing weight, bless her.
My employer's old man claims that 28 days is the period of abstinence required in order to prove one is not an alcoholic, and not 14 as I had believed
I feel I could keep going, but I'm just not sure I want to. I mean, when does a liver cleanse become a spiritual journey?
...besides which, the new home brew will be ready in a week.

Day Thirteen. Ho hum. More spraying. Everything stinks of sulphur, apart from the bits that ache of mask.

Day Fourteen. The fourteenth day. Two weeks. A fortnight. I made it!!!!
Though technically....two weeks isn't up until tomorrow morning, so I'm still off it, and I made a decision today to do another week....just because. This will confirm that I have slain the demon, as it were. And to make certain that the two-week point wasn't just a carrot to cloud the reality.

Day Fifteen. I'm really doing this. It is also really starting to grate.

Day Sixteen, morning. One has noticed one's coffee intake creeping up these past couple of weeks (he says nonchalently) from three cups a day to about eight or nine. Not sure if this is healthy.

Day Seventeen. Madame Wolf says I'm a different person; I have not noticed any change myself. This is becoming neither less tiresome or more interesting. One shall, however, persevere till Friday. There are no plans at this time to persevere beyond Friday.

Day Eighteen. Hot. Really hate the thought of a cold, crystal clear, sparkling amber beer right now.
Three days till Friday. I'll make it.

Day Nineteen. Beginning descent. Tower reports Wx clear, no traffic, terminal bar stocked and ready.

Day Twenty. Runway in sight. (Don't you non-amateurs say something like "Downwind, finals" at this point?) And just for Bino's benefit, I'm not going around again.

Good luck....
;)

Lance Murdoch
4th Nov 2004, 16:38
I think my record since the age of 17 (discounting periods of illness) is probably about seven days. One could never be a teetotaller.:(

finfly1
4th Nov 2004, 16:51
My long and continuing abstinence from alcohol has saved me somewhere over one hundred thousand pounds, for which I am most grateful and which I currently enjoy spending on other types of indulgences. Two doctors had advised me back when I drank that the continued practice of that particular vice would cost me my life within the space of a year or less. So quitting became a matter of survival rather than a conscious decision to take the moral high ground.

From my experiences I offer the two following observations:

People who do NOT have a problem with alcohol, seldom wonder whether they do...

In my experience, most alcoholics can vividly remember the exact circumstances of their first drink: who was there, the setting, the drink itself, the way it made them feel etc. Most normal (or non-alcoholic drinkers) cannot do this.

airship
4th Nov 2004, 17:06
I believe that once in heaven, one will no longer be a slave to a dram of Scotch. Hmmm, I might be confusing things here. Hang on a bit, You said that if I loved my neighbour etc. etc. ... and I'm definitely not a rich man so I wouldn't have to go through the needle business, I'd get to heaven. Now You tell me I have to commit some hideous act in order to get there. Strangely enough, You only talk about nirvana, which is why I should watch out for little things like ants and things. Are we talking about the same heaven? The one with the 40 virgins I mean...?! I'm not a lawyer or anything so don't get me wrong...I just need a little clarification. I assume that once in heaven, one no longer grows older...well, at least that the virgins stay...okok, it's not that important?! :( :confused: :E

Gimme another drink or 3! :p

PS. I feel so much better knowing that I haven't the foggiest memory of my first drink!

finfly1
4th Nov 2004, 17:13
PS. I feel so much better knowing that I haven't the foggiest memory of my first drink!

Glad to help.

Jerricho
4th Nov 2004, 18:28
one will no longer be a slave to a dram of Scotch

Stuff that for a joke then.

airship
4th Nov 2004, 18:56
It's no laughing matter Jerricho. I suppose I could give giving up the booze a go for 100,000. Say 50% up front, the rest uhmmm, later. :O

UL730
4th Nov 2004, 19:07
I have certainly given up drinking Chateau Petrus for the first two weeks of November. One can easily forgo Bordeaux's most intensely concentrated, richly flavoured and unique red wine. Who needs incredible power, depth and richness yet a remarkable balance with penetrating aromas of ripe mulberry, black currant and fruit and spicy vanilla oak?

Completely abandoned the nectar yielded up from the little distillery overlooking the Paps of Jura - particularly the bottling from a refill hogshead that delivers an incandescent nose - toast, oil, bonfires and wellies. Neat - match box strikers and burnt stalks - with water - salty rope, fish boxes and wet sheep.

All it requires is a modicum of self-discipline and a completely nihilistic approach to the small pleasures in life.

:suspect:

tony draper
4th Nov 2004, 19:11
Then of course we have brewers droop, not something we who have forswore the grape the hop and the grain, suffer from, get yee hence to the pub by all means chaps, we shall take care of your ladies.

tinpis
5th Nov 2004, 01:26
One would need a good set of beer goggles to handle some yer local totty tony !Northern kebab munchers (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40192000/jpg/_40192142_slags203.jpg)

--x--x-O-x--x--
5th Nov 2004, 03:07
Give up the booze???

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Dear God, what is this place coming to? :(

I am Birddog
5th Nov 2004, 04:06
Giving up the booze..........short term
Over the past couple of years I have set aside the first 2 weeks in November as totally "booze free". I do enjoy a beer or two as much as the next person (and whisky, that's my huge weakenss), but I've had some interesting reactions from various people ranging from "Good idea" to "2 whole weeks...........bloody hell".

Anybody else do a similar thing?

Dude....You're from Winnipeg....Better do it now before winter comes around.:(

Dr Illitout
5th Nov 2004, 09:00
I gave up compleatly for about two months a few years ago. I didn't miss it but was BL**dy glad to get back on it afterwards!!!.
At first I still woke up feeling a bit "Rough" but after about a week that went away. A strange thing happened about a month in, I would wake up with a sort of "reverse hangover" . I would find myself so full of the joys of spring it was disgusting!.
I'm now back to having my normal half a shandy a night leaving at least 36 hours between that an having anything to do with aeroplanes of course (Hic)

Rgds Dr I

P.S. Just think of the "Bender" you can go on when you come off!!!.
P.P.S. AND it will be so cheap!!! :}

Parapunter
5th Nov 2004, 09:12
Indeed Drapes, No such thing as a stiff drink.:uhoh:

tony draper
5th Nov 2004, 09:40
Do you good Mr Tinpis, couple of bints with a bit meat on their bones.

Jerricho's Liver
5th Nov 2004, 09:50
Dude......

Just get on with it......... I fcuking dyin' over here...

:ouch:

tony draper
5th Nov 2004, 10:41
The strange thing is, even though one stopped drinking years ago the ladies would still say Ooh yer overhung.

redsnail
5th Nov 2004, 11:25
Drapes,
Trouble is, you're now sober and can see what they look like. :yuk: whereas before you had the beer goggles on.

MadsDad
5th Nov 2004, 11:30
Always say there is one thing wrong with giving up the booze. When you wake up in the morning you know that that's as good as you are going to feel all day.

Avoid hangovers - stay drunk.:ok:

Jerricho
5th Nov 2004, 14:01
Dude....You're from Winnipeg....Better do it now before winter comes around

Not from - just about to experience my first winter here. Anybody know where I can get a 1 litre hip flask?

Just get on with it......... I fcuking dyin' over here...

Don't you start.

Jerricho's Liver
5th Nov 2004, 15:23
Don't you start.

Don't push me BeeAtch...... You never hear of Liver Stones..? :ooh:

Jerricho
5th Nov 2004, 19:41
Did Mick Jagger have something to do with them?