PDA

View Full Version : New RAF coming into service

joe2812
3rd Nov 2004, 21:15
As part of my OASC prep i'm looking into the un and coming developments of aircraft. I currently have the new Nimrod, the Typhoon and the replacement for the Herc (which i think is an Airbus?)

Am I correct in think they are the main ones, as I am having difficulty finding relevant information on the progress of each.

Thanks in advance,

Styron
3rd Nov 2004, 21:33
Yes A400M Replacement for Herc.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/images/a400m.jpg

Mad (Flt) Scientist
3rd Nov 2004, 21:37
Sentinel/ASTOR is due in service next year, I believe. Not a lot of airframes, but a significant capability nonetheless.

JessTheDog
3rd Nov 2004, 21:39
Might be worth looking beyond the internet kit list...

What about the role of UAVs? Watchkeeper for the Army but what about a future unmanned strike capability? A UAV successor to Storm Shadow that makes the GR4 delivery platform obsolete?

Thinking outside the box might get some brownie points and is more fun anyway...

BEagle
3rd Nov 2004, 21:45
Try looking here:

http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects.htm#Air

Good luck!

Always_broken_in_wilts
3rd Nov 2004, 22:23
AH?................eventually!

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

joe2812
4th Nov 2004, 10:09
BEags, thanks for the link, just the thing I needed.

Appreciated, ta everyone.

woody0381
4th Nov 2004, 15:20
Joe,

I've just returned from OASC this week, topics covered in my interview also included Harrier GR9 upgrades through to replacement with JSF. Merlins also cropped up, and I did get caught out by forgetting the arrangement between the RAF and USAF regarding the lease of some C-17s.

Woody

woody0381
4th Nov 2004, 20:09
Apologies - I stand corrected !

Melchett01
4th Nov 2004, 22:41
Joe - when are you off to Cranditz? If any time soon, then the following is about as current as it gets as I have reliable info from post-IOT instructors about what is going on.

Yes C-130s, Nimrods, Harrier upgrades, ASTOR are all coming in over the next year or 2.

The new Nimrod has gone for its first test flight and appears to work. Or at least it hasn't dropped out of the sky. As for the rest, watch this space. Just need to appreciate that it is no longer purely a Maritime platform hence the A designation in MRA as opposed to MR2.

Harrier - yes they are upgrading to GR7a/9/9a standard. The 7a has uprated avionics; the 9 has an upradted engine - important for Joint Force Harrier as there are occassions when when the GR7 can't land on deck bombed up due to lack of thrust - hence the 7a upgrade to compensate - it saves money rather than fishing weapons out of the sea!. If you have wits about you, you will have now realised that the 9a is the all-singing-all-dancing variant with uprated aviaonics AND engine. And it does exactly what it says on the tin. Better for high and hot ops eg Afghanistan, Iraq.

C-130 - currently operating a mixed fleet of Ks & Js of 2 sqns operating each.

ASTOR - currently undergoing trials out in the USA. 5(AC) Sqn has be re-formed as of earlier this year, first jet due to arrive early next year. Expecting a total of 5 ac plus associated ground stations. Unique point - it's a joint Sqn. The OC is RAF, the 2ic and Ground Stn commander is an Army Major. Mixed crews on the jet - but stand by to stnad by for the official announcement. Currently 2x pilot and 4x mission crew, but that changes about as much as I change my socks.

C-17s - currently under lease from the USA, however the last defence cuts announced our intention to buy them at the end of the lease period c 2010-12 (stand by to be corrected). We will also buy one extra airframe to give us 5 total at the same time.

JSF - designed to replace the Harrier, with some stealth features v fast, v good and will probably be cut/altered/compromised before it enters into service.

Merlin - unique point - 3 engines. Can take a re-fuelling probe, although not always fitted. Although not a major problem as it doesn't always fly. Previous problems with rotors/ rotor heads / tail rotors - I think - please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Almost sorted now. Can also take a chin mounted gun turret. Not much else to say really - slagged off lots, but Denmar, Italy, Canada and the RN have also bought it so it can't be that bad. VVV good as an ASW platform.

Right then, that lot should help you a bit, if it doesn't PM me.

Melchett

BootFlap
5th Nov 2004, 13:39
:ok: Melchett, nearly correct on Harrier upgrades, but not quite.

Harrier GR7 and 7A in service now. Avionics the same, 7A has bigger engine.

Harrier GR9 & 9A coming in to Service Apr 05. Uprated avionics and 'A' designation remains bigger engine.

Harrier T12 is the current T10 with new avionics. (No big engine in this, mores tha pity).

Good times ............... Always!

Gainesy
5th Nov 2004, 14:49
Can take a re-fuelling probe, although not always fitted. Although not a major problem as it doesn't always fly.

Thanks Melchett, tea all over keyboard. :)

Melchett01
5th Nov 2004, 16:34
Boot Flap - well spotted. A few glasses of the Mess's finest paint stripper does strange things to the brain. :ok:

joe2812
5th Nov 2004, 17:13
Melchett01 - thanks for that!

How in-depth do you think it would be wise to go? I don't want to commit time to learning stuff I won't need, when theres so much more I still have to study!

I've got things such as cost, numbers, est. year and why it's a better upgrade, will I need further details in most people's opinion?