PDA

View Full Version : How would you answer this....

BongleBear
3rd Nov 2004, 16:49
Q. What are your weakest points?

I've been told that this is often asked in interviews, and I'm not sure what the 'correct' way of answering it would be. I know they know no-ones perfect, so first is coming up with a weak point that's not disastrous and interview ending. Then I'd probably go with explaining what I've done to rectify this or try to improve.

Any ideas?

Cheers, BBear

Sky Goose
3rd Nov 2004, 17:33
I said i was lazy at times, thought theyd appreciate a bit of honesty, apparently not !!

Went to an assesment (Tyrolean) with 45 of us doing interviews on the same day, I was the second last bloke, figured they had heard all the BS answers and would appreciate some honesty. I mean you cant rally be that lazy If youve completed an fATPL while holding down a full time job? They dont think that far ?

So to cut a long story short, dont tell them you can be lazy at times.

ie going to the boozer with your mates instead of studing ATPL theory, everyones done that right?

haughtney1
3rd Nov 2004, 18:49
One thats helped get me a job in the past....

"im a bit of a perfectionist....I dont settle for second best"

Just explain that you tend to be a bit hard on yourself...and you find this can be a bit tough on you..as you never can be perfect:D

Its BS.....but BS that people like to hear....go figure:rolleyes:

BongleBear
3rd Nov 2004, 19:37
I thought about the 'im a perfectionist' answer, I know it makes sense to say it (not that I am a perfectionist), but if I put myself in the interviewers position I don't think it's what I'd want to hear. I think they'd prefer a genuine weakness, and then to hear that you've done something about it- not "I'm a perfectionist"....."and to sort that out I've made everything perfect".

and what about this question......

Q When was the last time you made a mistake, and what was it?

I was thinking about an answer that was quite lighthearted, whilst genuine. Something that everyone can relate to, like missing a relatives birthday. Then saying "so now I've bought a personal planner".

Any comments on either questions?

Cheers, a-very-nervous-before-an-interview-BBear

Keygrip
3rd Nov 2004, 19:49
Q. What are your weakest points? Answer; "Not fully knowing my weaknesses, Sir"

Q When was the last time you made a mistake, and what was it?
"Few seconds ago, Sir, answering the question that way"

bertie777
4th Nov 2004, 13:22
Love that last one! ;)

jamestkirk
4th Nov 2004, 13:51
agree with all of the above.

Remember, that when you give a weakness or two, be prepared to acknowledge it.

What i mean by that is: you know what it is, are aware of it and am conscious about not making it a factor i making decisions.

This is irrelevant of an airline interview and pretty generic.

Any HR department who knows thier potatoes will use, what is called a 'structured interview technique (usually).

This means that whatever answer you give to a quaestion like this, they will want to know a SPECIFIC example. If you cannot give this, the perception is of BS.

Pick your weaknesses before the interview and think of a situation where you made sure it did not influence an evenit, incident etc.

Purely because it's hard to think of those things at a moments notice.

Good luck at the interview, if that is why you are posting the question on the forum