PDA

View Full Version : Eating in Central London

noisy
3rd Nov 2004, 10:51
Can anyone recommend any good places to eat within central London? Nothing makes me happier than finding a clean cafe where you can get a big plate of steaming food for a couple of quid.
Sadly, such places tend to be at a premium in town because of the high council taxes (and the greed of the owners), although I am told of a good place in Euston called the 66 cafe.

The best indicator of a good cafe is when you see a row of tipper lorries outside first thing in the morning. The transport caffs of old seem to have all been replaced with motorway service stations. :yuk: :yuk: but the lorry drivers still seem to know all the best places.

I remember fondly the cafe at college where you could obtain a large plate of good fried food for 1.50. mmmmm

although I knew it was bad for me..

N

reynoldsno1
3rd Nov 2004, 19:04
I've heard stories that the dustbins outside Claridges' kitchens can be pretty good....

OzPax1
3rd Nov 2004, 19:33
If you like Chinese food then head for Poons...It's just off Leciester Square. The resturent itself looks cheap, but the food is very good and also meets your other criteria....It's cheap. :ok:

Hufty
3rd Nov 2004, 21:54
There is a really good place called the Stockpot - it is right around the corner from Leicester Square - unelievably cheap and good honest British grub. There is a similar place across the road although I forget the name and I forget the name of the street they are both on, but it has been there for years so you should be able to find it.....

I think I paid 3.50 for lunch when I was there last and left feeling stuffed!

ChrisVJ
4th Nov 2004, 06:47
The Stockpots arestill going? Used to be one just across the road from Earl's Court tube when I first moved to London. Meals (great stew) were counted in shillings. Those were the days.

GroundGirl
4th Nov 2004, 07:58
There is a really great Japanese place called wangamamas near Covent garden. They serve absolutely mahoosive portions!:ok:

Unwell_Raptor
4th Nov 2004, 08:15
Johnnie's Cafe in Coldharbour Lane Brixton (Camberwell end).
It's called Johnnie's but the owner is known as Dave and as he is a Turk I don't suppose that's his name either.

Much favoured by BT and LEB engineers, and the butchers from Wilsons factory next door. Some of the platefuls downed by building workers going on shift are awesome.

ramsrc
4th Nov 2004, 09:45
Agree with GroundGirl - Wagamama's is excellent. There are actually quite a few in Central London. The original one being Lexington Street (Soho). It looks pretty insalubrious from the outside but the food is fantastic.

The SSK
4th Nov 2004, 09:59
If you eat curry, the place to go is the India Club in the Strand. It's on the second floor of the Strand Continental Hotel and is virtually unsigned so you'll probably walk straight past it. It's very basic but the food is as good as you'll get in London, very cheap (the more so as it's bring your own beer).

Here's (http://www.london-eating.co.uk/more_reviews.asp?restaurant=3002&CurPage=2) a page of reviews.

slim_slag
4th Nov 2004, 10:03
There used to be great spoons next to Smithfield Market, open through the night for the market workers, then off to the Fleet street pubs with the journos at 6am. Some time ago though. There was a pub round there did a superb morning fry up, full of Barts nurses off their night shifts, yum yum.

rebelrabbit
4th Nov 2004, 16:29
... ag man that's easy peasy. Nando's, cos they're all over the place in London. Just try their chicken and chips to share, bottom less cold drinks and then if there's still a gap go for the bottomless fat free frozen yogurt sadly only in strawberry but still damn lekker!

If you're still sqeamish then cruise down to The Hard Rock (We all know where they're at!) Don't hassle with a table just say you wanna drape yourself over a barstool downstairs then order a Nachos to share enough for THREE-FAT-RUGBYPLAYING-SAFFAS and again order a bottomless.

But if yous wanna go lite then off it is to Wan Keys in Wardour Street down there by L Square off China Town. Know what you want cos thses guys are fast! One does recommend the striped chilli beef wif egg fried rice (nr 276 on the menu!)

Then you can sommer like catch a old movie very cheap price at Prince Charles cinema where the subsonic bass will loosen your dentures.

If your still not satisfied just leave ... OK?

rr

noisy
5th Nov 2004, 10:34
Thanks for the replies everybody, I brought the subject up because I was out on the town last night. There was a certain inveitability in that whatever place I chose to eat, I would get ripped off.
In fairness twenty quid for two people isn't really all that bad in the centre of town and the portions were not to bad.

I think I will try wagamama's at some point.

I did hear of a place called the indian YMCA (imagine having a boogie to that tune!) which is near Warren St. tube where you can get a decent simple meal for a few pounds. (apparently)

Jerricho
5th Nov 2004, 14:06
Add another vote for Wangamamas. Although, the one just down from Covent Garden has some interesting stairs to navigate (just like the effin tube station). Exercise caution in using if inebriated.

Diabolus
5th Nov 2004, 15:02
Is a restaurant chain there are 18 in London and many others throughout the UK and other parts of the world. If you like Japanese style places also try Yo! Sushi in Poland Street, Soho.

http://www.wagamama.com/

Jerricho the one just down from Covent Garden is in Covent Garden many Tourists get confused over Covent Garden Piazza and the area of Covent Garden.

I vote for the lovely organic place in Neal's Yard, Covent Garden just off Neal St or Fresh N' Wild on Brewer St, Soho or for traditional London grub try the Pie, Mash and liquor shop in Shepherds Bush. If you fancy a wonder go to any of the fine Indian restaurants on Brick Lane.

DMmmm!

tinpis
6th Nov 2004, 02:22
Usda be a Indian near St Pancras Kings X station that was a fave of tins called the Goa.
Cheap steamin hot good tucker and cold beer.

Tin can recall when yer would starve ta death in London if ya couldnt digest a Wimpy.

Jinkster
6th Nov 2004, 16:29
Oh...whats that little place called on Picadilly called.....ah yes, the Ritz, suppost to do brilliant afternoon tea! ;)

Jerricho
6th Nov 2004, 16:32
I would advise against trying for a spot of tea at the Ritz if you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt. ;)

The Lanesborough Hotel at Hyde Park corner is another nice place for a spot of tea. We saw Madonna there once............she didn't say Hi :(

Jinkster
6th Nov 2004, 16:35
Jerricho,

I bet Kylie would have :D

Jerricho
6th Nov 2004, 16:37
*Imagines having tea with Kylie*

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..........

BlueWolf
7th Nov 2004, 06:39
Hell's bells, that takes me back. Fifteen years ago, there was a superb eatery in Hammersmith called the Texas Lone Star. I have an irksome recollection that there was one in Kentish Town as well.

I also remember a chain of eat-as-much-as-you-can restaurants by the name of Garfunkles which provided good quantity, good quality, and good value.

A small cafe named Figaro's on lower Regent Street, a wee den by the name of The Student Keller off Leicester Square, and an Indian-owned steak house, the name of which utterly escapes me, in Hounslow, also hold fond memories. As does every single pub whose threshold I ever crossed.

You have to hand it to the Poms, they know how to do a beer and a feed.

:ok:

HotDog
7th Nov 2004, 07:36
If you fancy some good Hungarian nosh, try the Gay Hussar in Greek Street, just off Soho Square.

aged
7th Nov 2004, 21:49
I've got to take 3 Russian guys out for a few pints and a decent meal in central London in a week or two, around Covent Garden. Any decent restaurants, preferable that won't chuck you out the minute you're finished? Half decent places middle of the road prices?
Any suggestions for good pubs in the area appreciated also.

Not my town.

Jerricho
7th Nov 2004, 22:57
Well, you could always try this (http://www.fluidfoundation.com/venueDetails.asp?BarRef=425) place. Very upper class.

(Or use that site to find something a little more suitable ;) )