PDA

View Full Version : Standby for HUGE VB announcement Thursday 4th

Bugsmasha
3rd Nov 2004, 06:45
VB are to make a huge announcement tomorrow in Sydney. The CEO says, "Virgin Blue is about to set itself apart from any other airline in the Southern Hemisphere".
Any ideas as to what it's all about folks:confused:

RaTa
3rd Nov 2004, 07:13
Could it be that they are about to have a major change and go the Australian way by employing ugly bad tempered cabin crew! :}

Icarus2001
3rd Nov 2004, 07:28
No silly. They are going to do something that will set them apart from every other airline in the Southern Hemisphere.

Ugly and bad tempered has been done!:sad:

sinala1
3rd Nov 2004, 07:43
Hmm not sure what it is, but I would have to say that its obviously something thats already being done by airlines in the northern hemisphere
The CEO says, "Virgin Blue is about to set itself apart from any other airline in the Southern Hemisphere".
Hmm anyone know anything that RyanAir, EasyJet, JetBlue or SouthWest are doing that would be so amazing and good to implement at DJ? We have heard nothing about it yet...

DJ737
3rd Nov 2004, 07:54
Hooters Girls maybe :ok:

Bugsmasha
3rd Nov 2004, 07:58
It could be about the new check in counters they are introducing. They have been promoting the slogan "Go straight through without the Q" and they have been developing an automating check in thingie, so maybe thats it?
Hardly Huge, if thats it.

crocodile redundee
3rd Nov 2004, 08:29
No Sillies!!!! Its a Technical announcement!!! VB is to introduce CONCORDE Flights , East Coast Bne/Syd/Mel weekdays Peak periods , Hows That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buster Hyman
3rd Nov 2004, 09:33
Are they going to staple Bratt Godfrey's mouth shut?

Maybe this is it... (http://www.theage.com.au/news/Business/Virgin-Blue-plans-to-break-EBA-unions/2004/11/03/1099362219870.html)

UNCTUOUS
3rd Nov 2004, 13:00
Why should the introduction of inflight gambling "set them apart"??

I think that it's already been done, although probably not in the Southern Hemisphere.

Aren't they already enough of a gamble?

wirgin blew
3rd Nov 2004, 15:13
Whatever it is I'm sure it will be fabulous

:ok:

AerocatS2A
3rd Nov 2004, 15:19
HUGE enough for you?

Please don't do that, it makes the thread very difficult to read.

balance
3rd Nov 2004, 18:31
They are removing their stick shakers?:}

Travelair
3rd Nov 2004, 18:41
not virgin anymore?

DJ737
3rd Nov 2004, 18:46
Hardly HUGE..but

Virgin Blue will today announce the launch of its inflight entertainment system, featuring programs from cable TV stations Foxtel and Austar.

Buster Hyman
3rd Nov 2004, 19:42
The first program will be "Air Crash Investigation" followed by Mike Oldfields "My story".:}

NAMPS
3rd Nov 2004, 20:18
Haha!

I was thinking the same thing Buster.

Perhaps they will be showing all the "Airport" movies in a movie marathon :}

Yeah..Whatever
3rd Nov 2004, 20:32
GREAT timing again from VB,

If it is the introduction of IFE then good planning to introduce it the day after 'Air Crash investigation" has the crash of Swissair 111 due to the failure of wiring on the new entertainment system.

But of course VB would be getting the system fitted by the best, not the cheapest!!

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Nov 2004, 20:40
Yeah Whatever.......Yeah whatever! Nong!

The_Cutest_of_Borg
3rd Nov 2004, 20:43
Having an IFE is hardly going to set VB apart from any other Southern Hemisphere airline, so unless VB are going against the grain and going for hype over substance.... naahhh they wouldn't do that, would they?

I have a feeling it must be something bigger.

Maybe they have decided to take the QF "Three Minute Angels" idea to the next logical step?!!!? Now THAT would be value for your ticket price!!

Maybe there is a place in airline management for me after all...

Howard Hughes
3rd Nov 2004, 20:57
Could it have something to do with scaled composites and the X prize?

Or perhaps China?

The possibilities are only limited by our imaginations!

Anyway it's thursday so lets just wait and see....Wirraway are you there, we are all waiting patiently.

Cheers, HH.

PS: I do like borgs idea, but 3 mins, do I get a rebate for time not used? Unless of course, that includes cuddling afterwards. ;)

Bugsmasha
3rd Nov 2004, 23:56
DJ737 wins the prize. VB just announced to the market that they will be installing LIVE satelite TV to all aircraft in the fleet starting mid next year. It will be a user pays system.
Sounds good to me:D

Pinky the pilot
4th Nov 2004, 00:13
I'm so excited I'm beside myself with joy.:E
(said in best Elliot Goblet voice)

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Gnadenburg
4th Nov 2004, 00:34
Well I have satellite TV at home and there is never anything on!

Another clever grab for free advertising by the Virgin Blue management team- I mean that sincerely.

That pilots like Bugsmasha still get enthusiastic about publicity issues- when their management tell them to, confirms my suspicions about the percentage of Muppets that occupy the VB Flight Decks! :p

The_Cutest_of_Borg
4th Nov 2004, 01:07
.......... I am agog........

User pays re-runs of "Bewitched"??

Another VB coup......... not.

Still I am glad you are happy there Bugsmasha. Try not to be too surprised when they swap Dick Sargeant for Dick York halfway through season three. Suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing.... it got me through my QF sensitivity training course.

Sargeant?.... York?... Sargeant.... York? Now there's a thing...

Bugsmasha
4th Nov 2004, 01:14
Now Now boys, play nice:{
Just excited coz when paxing, I now dont have to re-read the Voyeur magazine for the tenth time. Thats all :D

Gnadenburg
4th Nov 2004, 01:25
Bugsmasha

How do you spell Muppet?

So VB pilots sit cramped down the back of the aircraft while paxing, have the indignity of having Branson charge them for a Coke and cookies, and now, will have to pay for In-Flight entertainment aswell.

WaterSpider
4th Nov 2004, 01:36
Well done Gnadenburg, didnt take long for you to turn a thread.
about a IFE system into a personal jibe session........... real mature kiddy!!!

Now to the topic at hand.....

From a consumer point of view I would have to say very well done to Virgin. Live satelite feed in Oz is a very new concept here (infact a first here) and in the world of LCC's.
Last time I flew Buisness with the opposite mob I watched news around 11 hours old and a Mr Bean show about 15 years old.

The fact is, IT IS a novelty to the public and it will get there attention. Most of all it has raised the bar for J* and Co.

Bugsmasha
4th Nov 2004, 01:39
Gonadenburg, Im not that familiar with the Muppets (if thats the correct spelling:confused: ), was too young for them. However, Im sure you had fun watching them with your kids while they were growing up:ok:
Dont let it bother you that we all sit down the back cramped and poor. You will give yourself an ulcer.

Buster Hyman
4th Nov 2004, 01:50
Aww nuts! I was hoping it was inflight betting. Just to be able to say "I always gamble when I fly Virgin!!" Nyuk,nyuk...Oi thangyou!:}

swh
4th Nov 2004, 02:20
Hope they have some smart way of not taking away your legroom, even the new system installed on OJH takes so much leg room away from Y seats.

Tight seat pitch and then taking more legroom away for 1/3 of the seats with the silly IFE box does not sound smart to me.

Why dont they design IFE equipment that does not take away legroom, or do they exist and you have to pay real money for those systems ?

:hmm:

Gnadenburg
4th Nov 2004, 02:21
WaterSpider

I am turning a bold statement by Bugsmasha -"Huge Announcement, groundbreaking stuff, firstime in Southern Hemisphere etc " into what it is worth.

Simply, overstated garbage from the VB publicity machine. That you leap to it's defence, with a familar and questionable jibe at QF, would suggest you are another dumb ass mum and dad investor in VB, or an under qualified, middle manager at VB, who uses every opportunity, however amatuerish, to push their company as per Virgin Blue indoctrination.

Bugsmasha

The thought of doing your job does give me ulcers. You are poorly done by. That so many of your contempories are trying to leave testament to this.

Wirraway
4th Nov 2004, 02:21
AAP

Virgin land Foxtel clinch in-flight show deal
November 4, 2004 - 3:42PM

In-flight entertainment will reach new heights when Virgin Blue introduces live satellite television to all domestic flights.

Subscription television providers Austar and Foxtel have jumped on board with Virgin Blue to provide passengers with breaking television news, sporting events, comedy and lifestyle channels.

"Imagine flying yesterday from Perth watching the American election in flight on Sky News, CNN or Fox News," said Foxtel chief executive Kim Williams.

The service would be broadcast via satellite to the aircraft and displayed on some 8,000 individual screens located at the back of seats.

The proposal, which has been four years in the making, was described by Virgin Blue chief executive Brett Godfrey as an "exciting and generational leap forward".

He said Virgin Blue, in conjunction with the US technology provider LiveTV, would become the first airline outside North America to harness the innovation, to be delivered under an exclusive licence with the carrier.

"This is a terribly exciting time for us," Mr Godfrey said.

"We decided that we wanted to be a carrier that gave money and choice back, along with great service in an industry that had lost its romanticism."

Called Live2Air, the service would offer the choice of 24 Foxtel and Austar channels, including Sky News Australia, CNN, The Comedy Channel, Fox Sports and Nickelodeon.

"We are dedicated innovators ... Foxtel's partnership with Virgin Blue and Austar in launching Live2Air was a natural fit," Mr Williams said.

However there is a catch, passengers will have to fork our for the new service which is activated with a credit card and costs $5 for unlimited use.

But Mr Godfrey said the carrier did not expect to gain a direct financial benefit.

"I just want it to be an incremental return in terms of us being a more desirable product," Mr Godfrey said.

He said the new technology would be phased in by mid next year subject to regulatory approval from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

AAP

===========================================

tinpis
4th Nov 2004, 02:44
Was kinda hoping they were going to install a seat I could sit in.

WaterSpider
4th Nov 2004, 02:51
Gnadenburg..........well done......2 kiddy jibes in minutes... well done! You have now progressed to year 3!!! Keep it going lets see how old you really are.....

Its shows your intellect and class doesnt it, tough nasty talk and assumptions on anyone who counters your personal jibes with fact. ( and God for bid talks about the topic at hand!)
Boy you must be be a happy person in real life.

I am afraid to dissapoint you but I am none of what you "Assume". not an investor, not an employee.
I am in the industy but not with either mob. I selll tickets for both, so it does me NO HARM what either carrier does or what you say. (go for it my little childish friend)
Do you actually sit back and read your delusional commentary...
Even now!.....you mention, the VB publicity machine, assume other people's occupations etc etc,,, however there is always very little on the topic!

Does it really upset you that someone other than Q has started something original. Well guess you better put down the people that work then hey!!!! Yeah that will fix them!....
And sorry to tell you IT IS a first for OZ. so to some in the industy I guess it could be considered a big announcment..

I bet you were the little boy who when his best friend got a fancy new toy, instead of being pleased would tell him how crap it was... Sound familiar..........

Now to the topic again. Apparently from the copy of the press release I had faxed to me, it wont be just TV1 type re-runs (although I am happy to watch seinfeld anytime), but will include live sport, live news and the Movie 1 channel.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
4th Nov 2004, 03:46
Intellect is a bad word to mis-spell when criticising someone's interlect.:E

Since you are so fast on the edit.... commentAry.

Sorry folks... it's been a strange day..

Ron & Edna Johns
4th Nov 2004, 04:41
I'm not so sure "live" is really the way to go, though. SYD-MEL, turn on telly and find you are half-way through the 30 min news broadcast. SYD-PER: catch the 2nd half of one movie, followed by the 1st half of the next. If there is one thing that really cr@p$ passengers off is missing the last x minutes of a feature movie! This will be very interesting to watch. "Live" may turn out to be "nearly live". And that will be more expensive, possibly.

The Voice
4th Nov 2004, 05:29
One of the rules in business is to market to the hoardes a unique feature that'll make you stand out from the rest.

You'd have to admit, to Mr and Mrs Jo(e) Public that onboard live satellite TV would have to appeal to those who don't have it at home, and who most likely are only discovering the joy of flying.

Very clever marketing strategy really when it is all said and done.

For those of us who don't value the novelty factor, it won't really make a difference.

Cockpit Door-Closed
4th Nov 2004, 06:30
The Voice

Yes it is a good marketing ploy, but hardly earth-shattering.

However it should provide a decent return after installation expenses. $5 per seat for 1-2 hours. The test now is to see if the typical Virgin customer would see value in that when compared to the average (?) household cost of around $80/month.

I know I would be disinclined to use it knowing I would not be able to see the full program/game/movie. Perhaps one could have an extra beer instead!

CDC

DJ737
4th Nov 2004, 07:33
DJ737 wins the prize.

Thanks, but it was in this mornings paper, which i read before posting here. Mind you, you had to look hard to find it.

Buried in an article about Air NZ IFE

AIRLINE passengers will be able to order inflight movies while booking their tickets over the internet. Latest release movies and portable DVD players for hire will also be available at airport kiosks during check-in.

In a first for the Asia-Pacific region, Air New Zealand will test the entertainment service between Melbourne and Auckland from Monday.

News of the service comes as discount carrier Virgin Blue will today announce the launch of its inflight entertainment system, featuring programs from cable TV stations Foxtel and Austar.

Air NZ's system features a portable DVD player about the size of a paperback novel and a wide selection of titles from movie hire giant Blockbuster.

Passengers will have the option of choosing a movie when they book their airline ticket online.

They will pick up the title and DVD player from an airport kiosk before their flight. Passengers who don't book online will be offered the service during check-in.

It will cost about $17 to hire a new-release movie and DVD player.

The idea was developed by Melbourne-based businessman Steve Watts, head of Universal Asset Management (Asia Pacific).

Mr Watts, a former Ansett and Air NZ executive, said the service would give passengers a much wider choice of movies than present inflight entertainment systems.

"Up to 50 titles are available and eventually we hope to delve deeper into the Blockbuster catalogue," he said.

Air NZ group general manager airlines Rob Fyfe said the carrier settled on the portable DVD player after considering various products overseas.

Mr Fyfe said the system was ideal for medium-haul flights and was cheaper than installing video screens in the back of seats.

jupiter2
4th Nov 2004, 07:33
Does the $5.00 include the cost of a headset?

Buster Hyman
4th Nov 2004, 10:30
Headsets $30 per half hour.

Eastwest Loco
4th Nov 2004, 11:50
Interesting DJ737.

EK (J class admittedly) 777-300 MELSINMEL - 80 odd movies on demand, plug into in seat socket recess to activate. FOC too.

I am lead to believe over 200 on demand titles in A340-500, plus a good mix of old and new stuff on both types.

I personally cant see it as being a huge passenger drag, but who knows. Providing it doesnt rob any more personal space, it will not hurt the experience.

As for EK, if you fly them during Rammadan ask for the side of the aeroplane with the Pommy, Kiwi or Aussie ladies doing the service. Lack of food slows the others down badly.

Enjoyed the experience though. The GA business class SIN DPS was considerably amusing and totally pleasant.The landing in DPS (clear air - nil wind CAV OK) was a testament to the talents of Mr Boeing's incumbents.

Our DJ sell last accounting month was $29,000 and growing - and that is in a non DJ port. I can see it moving higher.

Hey - anything restoring a level of service on an Australian Airline these days is a plus. The way things have been going I would not have been amazed if Jetscar had announced outside toilets.

Best all

EWL

Wirraway
4th Nov 2004, 13:08
Fri "The Australian"

Pay-TV to get a ride on Virgin
Steve Creedy
November 05, 2004

VIRGIN Blue believes an ambitious plan to introduce live subscription television to Australian air travellers will add no more than 1 per cent to its cost base.

But it hopes this will be more than offset by an increase in revenue as bored passengers pay up to $5 to tune in to 24 channels of Foxtel beamed in by Austar satellite.

Virgin believes its Live2air system will act as a drawcard and position it as a market leader in domestic inflight entertainment.

The system from US company LiveTV is similar to those successfully offered in North America by carriers such as JetBlue, Westjet and Frontier.

Chief executive Brett Godfrey said the pricing reflected Virgin Blue's philosophy of providing extras such as lounges in a cost-neutral way and was not expecting to make a big profit from it.

"As long as it makes more than it costs, we'll be exceptionally happy," he said.

"I think our shareholders will be happy with it. I think the market will be happy with it and I think the consumers will be ecstatic about it."

Live2air will allow travellers to swipe a credit card and access live sport, news, business and entertainment on seat-back screens.

Virgin will also be able to charge for advertising on the system if it so chooses.

Frontier, which also charges for the service but has shorter stage lengths than Virgin, makes a profit on the service with a take-up of 40 to 50 per cent of passengers. A LiveTV presentation said load factors on Frontier jumped 11 per cent in the first month after the system became available.

LiveTV said a study found that two-thirds of business travellers and 75 per cent of leisure travellers would choose an airline that offered the system over one that did not.

Virgin's seven-year turn-key contract includes installation, maintenance and upgrading of the system as well as exclusive local rights for three years.

The technology uses a patented dual-polarised antenna to allow a moving jet to lock on to the satellite signal at 40,000ft.

Mr Godfrey said the airline had been working on the project for four years and focus groups indicated that it would be well regarded.

"It's a fantastic product addition, particularly on longer sectors and particularly if you're travelling during the business news (cycle) for people who want to get stock exchange closings," he said.

The first fitted aircraft is due to be rolled out in the middle of next year. The airline is now moving to get the system certified by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Mr Godfrey said Virgin was still deciding whether to modify planes during annual overhauls or do the work "nose-to-tail" in a few months.

He said the airline would install the television in every seat, or about 8000 across the fleet, because it did not believe it was practical to install it in just some planes.

Foxtel chief executive Kim Williams said the Virgin system was a "wonderful exhibition" of the company's product.

Asked if Foxtel would make money on the deal, he said: "We won't lose any."

============================================

wirgin blew
4th Nov 2004, 19:26
Poor Foxtel, even with a monopoly in OZ they are still trying to find a way in to the average persons home.
I suppose by installing in our aircraft they might pick up a few more subscriptions.

BUT the main deal will be the free installation for VB, I just hope we can keep up the $49.95 per month for 24 months on the basic package. Hopefully God will take it out of his pay check. Cos I cant afford it on mine

Gnadenburg
5th Nov 2004, 01:37
Foxtel sucks outside of the footy season.

Last night watched lions eating zebras, snake wranglers, a very American perspective of world news ( CNN & Fox News ) but finally, near midnight, a modern rendition of Greene's Quiet American on Movie One.

Only those who subscribe to Foxtel know how difficult it can be , outside of the cricket and footy seasons, to find something on.

I think I prefer the AirNZ option of paying for a new release movie.

WaterSpider

We often take our discussions to the playground here in Dunnunda, but rarely as convincing as your outbursts.

If you feel more comfortable drawing childhood analogies, fair enough, I will play too.

Yes I hated not having new toys all the time or being out done by other kids. This continues to this day which is why:

1) I don't work for Virgin Blue.

2) I avoid flying with Virgin Blue ( and Jetstar for that matter ).

This is small time stuff beaten up by the Virgin Blue publicity team. I honestly read into Bugsmasha's initial excitement with envy, as I thought ground breaking news of Virgin Blue launching Trans-Pacific services ( or the like ).

tinpis
5th Nov 2004, 02:03
When they gonna get seats for folks other than midgets?
:suspect:

Howard Hughes
5th Nov 2004, 02:30
Tinpis,

We midgets are quite comfortable thank you!!:yuk:

Cheers, HH.

rescue 1
5th Nov 2004, 04:25
This move by Virgin will only dilute the effect of being a value based carrier, and make QF - often at the same or cheaper price, look a far more attractive option to the traveling public. ( eastwest loco I would be interested in your thoughts on that point.)

I gather from the earlier posted News report, that the Ground staff will help fund the new seats/IFE system??

pullock
5th Nov 2004, 04:31
"We decided that we wanted to be a carrier that gave money and choice back, along with great service in an industry that had lost its romanticism."

As much as I find the installation of IFE underwhealming to say the least, I agree that the industry has just become a nasty necessity.

If Virgin had have announced ten rows of affordable business class seats then I would have been excited, and it would certainly be an original concept. The market realy needs to moove to satisfy business travellers who want a quality product somewhere between QF business class and discount virgin or dare i say it jet bus.

Buster Hyman
5th Nov 2004, 05:37
in an industry that had lost its romanticism
Gee...How'd that happen?:rolleyes: :hmm: :suspect:

tinpis
5th Nov 2004, 05:43
About 1989 Buster but it started before then.
Remember when they had seats yer could sit in?
I reckon someone orta look at a few of the old sidesaddle DC3s we had in PNG for the highland slave labour service.

dude65
5th Nov 2004, 06:01
24 Channels

What a shame.

Last time I looked, "The Naked News" was on channel 25

Buster Hyman
5th Nov 2004, 09:39
No...the Naked news is on Qantas....BOOM! BOOM!:}

6th Nov 2004, 00:36
I would just like to post my sincere congratulations to the VB team for securing and initiating this new phase of the VB experience. This, regardless of what all the gripers say, is an excellent move by VB. Remember, this is for the PAX, not Pilots, so all the head in clouds Pilots who say Foxtel has nothing to offer, pull your heads in, you are not the market that this is aimed at.

I find it hard to believe that someone could make the remarks" outside of footy and cricket season, Foxtel has nothing to offer", firstly, sucked in to you for subscribing an outrageous amount of money for 12 months for nothing, your research skills must be limited. You are exactly the kind of person who will opt for VB over the others because it does have Foxtel. Well Done.

Lets see how the 6 million dollar man responds to this. There a funny bunch that lot, aren't they GD.

Capt Claret
6th Nov 2004, 00:48

a fairly recent talk back session on ABC-Radio National, about pay TV had the majority of callers make very similar statements to: " outside of footy and cricket season, Foxtel has nothing to offer".

Many further elaborated that whilst many favourite shows are on offer, eg. Frazier, The Simpsons, etc, etc. The choice of episodes and multiple repeats caused much displeasure amongst subscribers.

I can't get pay TV. Despite advertising, Austar (only supplier in YPDN) don't seem to want to provide any information to allow one to make an informed decision. Phone calls don't get answered, etc.

Wonder why they bother to advertise? :confused:

Buster Hyman
6th Nov 2004, 05:12
Apparently, Qantas was going to counter Virgin's news by getting 2UE to broadcast live onto the aircraft, but the FAAA objected!

pistol night
6th Nov 2004, 12:41
Yes, what a break through, an aircraft with tv sets. Lets hope the airline is a little more up to date than their IFE.

Galley Power
7th Nov 2004, 14:43

I agree. The entertainment has already got me flying Virgin always from now on.
As a flight attendant with QFlink, I see the same food over and over again. As a pax, I'd rather fly with Virgin and pay that extra $10 for a choice of three hot meals and several cold meals and lots of snacks as opposed to being a pax on QF with the one choice (or two on city flyer). I would also pay and extra $5 every time to use the tvs in the seats (no matter how long the flight) as opposed to watching the same soppy movie as every one else, and rather have a choice of over 20 channels. To those who reckon that the VB live broadcasts would be cut half way dure to landing, I've had this on Qantas' movies twice.
The VB product sounds better and more appealing than Qantas' and especially Jetstar, as I live in Perth and all my flying out of Perth as a paying passenger would be about more than three hours.

In regards to peoples' comments to Virgin's seats, how big are you? I honestly can't remember a difference. Obviously I look like I'm in love with VB, but I honestly think they're the better airline from mid next year.

They've won me over, and probably many others from mid next year.

Good on em.
GP