PDA

View Full Version : Pprune email details needed

Binoculars
3rd Nov 2004, 05:38
I'm trying to install MailWasher to vet my PPrune email address. It wants to know what the POP3 server address and SMTP address are. :confused: Can somebody help please?

amanoffewwords
3rd Nov 2004, 05:56
My understanding is that it's a web-based service only (says so on the registration page) so you can't 'cause they're ain't any.

Charles

Evo
3rd Nov 2004, 06:10
As far as I know Charles is right. The PPRuNe email service is provided by everyone.net, Danny can't do all that much with it other than very basic administration.

The free everyone.net service is web-only, I think - they'll sell you subsription services with things like POP3 access and spam filtering, but that's not part of the PPRuNe package.

Binoculars
3rd Nov 2004, 06:51
Ohh. I don't know what that means, but I guess the gist of is that I can't use Mailwasher. Thanks anyway folks. :(

Gonzo
3rd Nov 2004, 12:54
Binos,

POP3 email accounts use dedicated sofware packages like MS Outlook or Eudora, and you have to tell the software where to look to get and send your email (POP3 and SMTP addresses).

Webmail, like PPRuNe, Hotmail and Yahoo is basically a web page, so you can use Internet Explorer or other web browser to view and send emails.

daw
3rd Nov 2004, 13:21
Yahoo is POP as well and I have used both yahoo and hotmail in the past and downloaded my emails to both Outlook Express and Outlook without having to go into the web interfaces at all. The smtp settings etc can be found on their help page as follows:-

http://help.yahoo.com/help/uk/mail/pop/pop-02.html

Now if I remember correctly hotmail had some sort of policy that you had to physically go into their web interface and sign in each month or else your account will become inactive regardless of whether are downloading your mail to OE/O or not.

The Nr Fairy
3rd Nov 2004, 17:56
Hotmail and Yahoo allow POP / SMTP free of charge, so using MailWasher isn't an issue.

PPRuNe mail doesn't - it's chargeable - so unless you pay to upgrade you can't.

For Binos, POP is Post Office Protocol - the mail server acts as a post office from where your email client collects mail. SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - allows sending of email from the client.

Gonzo
3rd Nov 2004, 21:17
Yep, sorry, was trying to be basic. :O

Most webmail accounts allow knowledgeable users to use it as a POP, just as many popular POP accounts allow setting up webmail access.

BOAC
4th Nov 2004, 09:02
Yahoo allow POP / SMTP free of charge - you sure of that NR? I cannot find a 'free' POP Yahoo access other than the nifty little programme someone pointed me at on this forum a while back!

The Nr Fairy
5th Nov 2004, 12:54
BOAC:

Positive. Login to Yahoo, go to Mail Options -> POP Access and Forwarding -> and the settings are there.

BOAC
5th Nov 2004, 13:51
'Fair dos', NR, that's what it says. I always assumed this facility was for the upgraded yahoo mail, as they dropped pop access a few years ago unless you upgraded. I cannot get access (via AOL, admittedly!) at the moment ('free' yahoo a/c)

webby
5th Nov 2004, 14:28
it seems yahoo.co.uk allows POP access while yahoo.com does not.

for those with yahoo.com and prefers POP access, try a program call YahooPOPs (http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/) .

Email: webby AT B777Pilot.com