PDA

View Full Version : NZ Student Loans

devolved
2nd Nov 2004, 23:50
Hey there resourceful ppruners!

I have a few questions regarding the NZ student loans for pilots. Have scoured the forums about this, but there doesn’t seem to be any recent rants about the loans.

1) Are these loans still around? If so, are they limited down to $5k? (not the 60-70k?) and/or have other limitations been imposed on the applicants?

2) If the full loan is still existence, is one still limited to the big flight schools in NZ? i.e. Ardmore.

3) Is the perception that on completion of CPL it’s extremely hard to find that elusive first job, due to the over supply of students from the loan schemes?

4) What is involved in a conversion from a NZ CPL to an Aussie CPL? (A matter of sitting some theory exams and a check ride?)

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

chicken6
3rd Nov 2004, 02:00
1) Yes, they are still around, and not limited to anything except what the organisation wants to charge you minus what you can pay up front. The only real restriction is that there is now a cap on each organisation regarding how many EFTSs (full-time student equivalents) they will be funded for, and there is AFAIK no guarantee yet that any funding will be available next year for any new students. When you talk to a training organisation they are required to fill you in on all the details.

2) Not really, as quite a few smaller operators managed to get in before the cap was imposed. Not to say that they are lesser quality and had to sneak in, because it still took a hell of a lot of work for most (except the franchisers of NMIT) to gain accreditation, and that work was, in general, started years ago. But funding is basically limited to those who got accredited before this year.

3) Again, not really. There has long been a perception that is is "hard to get the first job", and by and large it has been, but it's only psychologically hard :yuk: :ugh: :bored: . The degree of difficulty is mainly influenced by each pilot's motivation and willingness to move for work I think. Certainly there are more loan-funded students now, but your competition for jobs is still people with the same licenses and ratings, superior application and demonstrable motivation will get you in.

4) Not even an exam. To convert NZ to Oz, take your licence and theory credits, pay about A$40 when you get to Oz and they'll start processing it that day. Normally takes less than a week. Of course, to fly with anyone, they'll make you do a check, but again, motivation should get you through that as most things are the same except the odd radio call, oh, and the structure of their airspace and the political situation about whose responsibility [i]separation]/i] is and minor things like that. Sweet as!

You can find a lot of info on www.caa.govt.nz about the TTMRA (look it up) which explains the conversion requirements.

devolved
3rd Nov 2004, 21:11
Chicken6,
Thanks for the comprehensive response!

I am currently in Oz at the moment, so unable to inspect the flight schools around NZ. If I were going to contact some flight schools, could anyone recomend some reputable schools in NZ that could possibly even offer or give one an edge to acquiring some work after completing CPL/MEIR? (on top of great training of course)

I would seriously consider schools around Wellington, Queenstown, Auckland & Taupo. Possibly even Christchurch.

Any ‘pros’ or ‘constructive-cons’ would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

ps. I don’t want this to be a school vs school windup. Would be just great to get some updated views on the current NZ scene.