PDA

View Full Version : RN 'Rescue 193' crew honoured

Flying Lawyer
28th Oct 2004, 15:44
The Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators has awarded the Prince Philip Helicopter Rescue Award 2003 for outstanding devotion to duty in search and rescue operation to the Crew of ‘Rescue 193’

The award was presented by the Duke of York at the Guild’s Trophies and Awards Banquet at the Guildhall, London.

The crew received a standing ovation from the 700 people present – one of only three standing ovations that night.

Full Citation: PRINCE PHILIP HELICOPTER RESCUE AWARD 2003
For outstanding devotion to duty in search and rescue operation

The Crew of 'Rescue 193':

Lt Claire Donegan
Lt Paul Dingley
Petty Officer Aircrewman David Rigg
Leading Aircrewman Graham Hatch
Flt Lt Jonathan Everitt

On 29th October 2003, the crew of the Duty Search and Rescue Sea King aircraft, ‘Rescue 193’, was tasked to assist a single handed yacht 80nm South West of Culdrose. A lone yachtsman was reporting neck and spinal injuries after a fall and was requesting immediate evacuation. The weather on scene suggested Sea State 8 with significant swell and therefore the crew, led by Lt Claire Donegan (pilot), elected to take a second Aircrewman as well as the duty medic. Petty Officer Aircrewman (POACMN) Rigg volunteered to join the crew as the additional Aircrewman.

As the aircraft launched, Falmouth Coast Guard also called out the St Mary's lifeboat. On transit to the scene it was decided that Leading Aircrewman (LACMN) Hatch would be transferred first to the yacht to assess the casualty, followed by POACMN Rigg and the stretcher, using a ‘hi line’ transfer. Once the casualty was placed in the stretcher, he would be hi lined back to the aircraft, with POACMN Rigg and LACMN Hatch transferring as a pair on completion.

On arrival, the crew was presented with a small 32 foot yacht which was beam-on to the wind with all sails stowed and moving significantly in the very large 40 foot swell. After conducting a reconnaissance, it was apparent that the vessel had only a very small area that could be used for winching and the additional hazard of metal halyards running up to the mast. Given the prevailing conditions, the vessel’s motion and the very tight winching area, Lt Donegan very skilfully brought the aircraft to a downwind hover at 60 feet. From this position, the crew elected to lower LACMN Hatch on the winch cable as there was no one on deck to tend a hi line.

The size of the sea and the small deck area of the yacht meant Lt Donegan lost visual references on each attempt to transfer the aircrewman. LACMN Hatch was lowered to a safe height above the sea and the aircraft ran in. He eventually managed to grab one of the halyards approximately seven feet above the deck. Lt Dingley lowered the winch cable fully and LACMN Hatch slid down the halyard and onto the wildly pitching deck. LACMN Hatch then went below to assess the casualty who was located in a very small area just below deck. Despite immediately suffering from acute seasickness, and between periods of vomiting, LACMN Hatch managed to place the casualty in a safe body position and reassure him of his safety. He then went back on deck to gather a hi line passed to him. The excessive sea state meant that he was in danger of being thrown from the boat and he had to tie himself to the boat and continued to tend the hi line in that manner.

An attempt was then made to transfer POACMN Rigg to the deck. During this operation a squall passed over, significantly increasing the wind, decreasing the visibility and resulting in POACMN Rigg swinging wildly below the aircraft. As the freeboard of the yacht was only two feet above sea level, POACMN Rigg was, by necessity, lowered to a position only just above the water to enable the transfer to be carried out. With Lt Dingley operating the winch and LACMN Hatch tending the hi line, POACMN Rigg managed to get one hand onto the deck when a huge swell broke over the yacht, completely submerging him. Lt Dingley immediately lowered the winch cable at maximum speed to prevent any excessive strain on the cable. Once clear of the water, a second violent swing developed, forcing Lt Dingley to dip POACMN Rigg in the water in order to dampen the swing. POACMN Rigg was visibly shaken and so he was recovered to the aircraft to check his condition. He was given every opportunity to remain in the aircraft after his experiences, however, in his normal gregarious manner, he elected to attempt a further transfer. Despite a large winch swing, due to the severe swell and wind, Lt Donegan was again able to maintain the aircraft in a stable hover long enough to transfer POACMN Rigg successfully onto the deck.

With both aircrewmen on deck an attempt was made to get the stretcher down onto the boat. This caused the hi line to part and so another hi line was deployed. With this in hand on deck, the stretcher was successfully lowered, where it was secured to the deck, although it was dangling over either side. Despite the severe movement of the boat, with both aircrewmen having to secure themselves to the yacht, LACMN Hatch and POACMN Rigg were able to get a spinal board down to the casualty and place him on it. However, due to the lack of room, he could not be placed on the stretcher inside the boat and the two aircrewmen were unable to carry him to the upper deck. They therefore made him as comfortable as possible within the confines of the yacht.

With the St Mary's lifeboat having 25 minutes to run by this time, the crew decided that it was safer for both aircrewmen and the casualty to remain on the yacht and await assistance from the lifeboat. On arrival, the lifeboat managed to transfer two RNLI personnel and a stretcher to the yacht despite darkness having fallen. Between the four they managed to get the casualty on deck and into the stretcher and then successfully transferred onto the lifeboat during a lee provided by ‘MV Okeanis’ which positioned itself upsea.

Lt Donegan then decided, as the Aircraft Commander, that ‘Rescue 193’ should proceed to St Mary's airport for refuel and to await the arrival of the lifeboat. POACMN Rigg and LACMN Hatch remained with the casualty on the lifeboat until it returned to St Mary's, where the three of them were safely transferred to the aircraft and on to hospital.

Throughout the seven and a half hour rescue, the crew demonstrated exceptional courage, faultless professional skill and selfless disregard for their own safety in extremely trying conditions. The aircrew displayed exemplary flying skills and outstanding Crew Resource Management. The Observer, Lt Dingley, showed supreme professional skill ensuring that both aircrewmen were successfully transferred without injury and while maintaining the aircraft's position over a wildly pitching deck. Additionally, and despite great personal discomfort, LACMN Hatch and POACMN Rigg performed superbly. Detached from the aircraft, and in a hostile and alien environment, they were able to stabilise the casualty, reassure him and successfully transfer him to hospital.

For their collective outstanding act of courage and devotion to duty in the course of a sea rescue, the crewmembers of ‘Rescue 193’ are awarded the Prince Philip Helicopter Rescue Award.

Well-deserved award. :ok:

Flypro
28th Oct 2004, 16:24
BZ Claire et al.......A well deserved award.
:ok: :ok:

AllTrimDoubt
28th Oct 2004, 19:38
BZ to all concerned!

Scud-U-Like
28th Oct 2004, 21:24
I think whoever wrote the citation should be a thriller writer. It had me on the edge of my seat! Many congrats to those involved.

headsethair
28th Oct 2004, 22:41
No doubt "Thomas Coupling" will chime in soon with another banal comment about "women drivers"......

Thank you SAR. What a great job - what excellent decision-making. Please don't ever let a Health & Safety idiot assess what you do!

NickLappos
29th Oct 2004, 03:53
What great airmanship and bravery! Thanks to crews like LT Donegan's, helicopters have their worldwide reputation for saving lives in the most difficult conditions. We must never forget that the work of the flying machine, like a musical instrument, is only a reflection of the skill and artistry of its crew. Thank you, Crew of Rescue 193 for your wonderful work!

Flytest
29th Oct 2004, 10:39
Claire and Co, great job.. although I still remember the time CD reversed her car into the hangar supports at 810 NAS many moons ago.. Glad her flying is better than her driving!!:O

Well done to all:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
29th Oct 2004, 11:27
Jolly well done, clearly a superb bit of flying, not too mention good old fashioned guts.

Out of interest, have they received any form of award from the Navy also?

G

Thomas coupling
29th Oct 2004, 15:34
They got off divisions!

Sterling work from the best SAR outfit in the world:ouch:

6Z3
29th Oct 2004, 17:06
A cracking read from the Ace of Clubs

John Eacott
30th Oct 2004, 03:39
Excellent work, and well deserved BZ.

6Z3: OT, but having had 6W6 for a long time, that would put you somewhere around the port outer prop, no? ;)

6Z3
30th Oct 2004, 07:30
JE,

Close; Stbd actually, and at 27 knots didn't we know it!

Mr Toad
30th Oct 2004, 10:46
Very well done to the whole crew of this mission; it's gratifying to see that the highest standards are still to be found in the Pusser.

It remains to be seen whether "their lordships" recognise the professional and human qualities demonstrated by the aircraft commander and all her crew; and whether they will strive to retain these people in the Sevice for the long term benefit of the nation. History would suggest otherwise.

SAR worldwide continues to throw up examples of extraordinary gallantry (to use an old-fashioned phrase) and this thread highlights to me a disappointing aspect of Prune - the almost complete (bar this thread and the Mull of Kintyre) separation of our profession into Military and Rotorheads. Both groups have problems with confidentiality/secrecy etc but can't we find a way to exchange more information of mutual interest? Any printable thoughts anybody...

Flypro
30th Oct 2004, 13:42
A bit off thread but, Funny old world 6Z3....... I had 6Z2 for a couple of cruises....great for sonar recognition:ok: :ok: :ok:

VTA
30th Oct 2004, 14:53
BZ Claire and crew including ground crew (its a team). Flying with 771 was the most challenging and rewarding of my career. Good to see they're being recognized for outstanding service. WELL DONE
MG

John Eacott
31st Oct 2004, 02:59
Flypro/6Z3,

OT, but mine was Eagle. Yours? There're those who use the sink to wash in, and those who.......

(Ark I hung around long enough to score 4 deck with a window ;) :cool: )

Triple Matched TQ
31st Oct 2004, 07:25
Congrats to the whole crew - not just to one person! They were all part of a highly skilled rescue. BZ

snafu
31st Oct 2004, 12:06
Congratulations to Claire and the rest of the crew! I just hope that the Service can reward such an outstanding achievement in a similar manner.:ok:

Tourist
31st Oct 2004, 12:36
Flytest, if you remember the hangar incident then I suspect I know you. You on her course?

Tourist
31st Oct 2004, 12:40
Very nicely done, but I agree with the Sqn line that you shouldnt get medals for doing your Job. Medals for SAR are for non SAR crews going above and beyond, not people doing it day in day out. Otherwise SAR-Gods would be too weighed down on the left hand side.:D

ZH875
31st Oct 2004, 14:56
you shouldnt get medals for doing your JobSo a pilot who brings his crippled plane home after a mission over enemy territory should not get a DFC or AFC, simply doing his job in bringing himself and his jet home, or an army private, rescuing his comrade is ineligible for a gong because he is looking after his comrades as he is taught.

I think there is a touch of jealousy here, people of whatever position (Pilot/SAR crew/Soldier or Sailor) who give a 'brave' performance deserve every medal available.

Compare the word 'Brave' as used in this instance, with 'Brave' as used to describe footballers and athletes who win a race or score a goal (more usually fails to do either), then you may understand why these crews get honoured.

I may never need a SAR rescue, but I know what they can do if I did.

Congratulations and beers all round for a job well done in difficult conditions.

Tourist
31st Oct 2004, 18:14
Jealous?
What do you mean?

PPRuNe Pop
31st Oct 2004, 19:35
Come on Tourist, you don't mean that!

In ANY job, no matter what it is - if gallantry is shown, if courage is the only way to get the 'job' done, it deserves the highest commendation and award that those who have the honour to bestow it can provide. Their kind of 'job' is not an every day job - it is one of great skill and fortitude and there is many a name that is lopsided with a richly deserved row of ribbons.

The wheel was invented a long long time ago T. ;)

The crew were certainly in the the 'above and beyond' category.

They are to be saluted.

Hummingfrog
31st Oct 2004, 20:41
Very well done to the crew. Brought back many memories of similar rescues on those wonderful dark nights in the Atlantic.

Just one query, the naval press release has no mention of the RAF Flt Lt in the crew. I presume he was acting as co-pilot but if he was an exchange officer he would probably be very experienced and no doubt contributed to the successful rescue.

HF
(ex 22/202 Sqn the real SAR;) )

Tourist
31st Oct 2004, 22:07
Have to disagree, pop
Give away too many medals, and next thing you know we all look like yanks thus debasing the meaning of the award. As I am sure you are aware, the pilots in a SAR cab are in no way in the same danger as the men on the wire. Crewies deserve medals, but competent, or even exceptional pilots just deserve their flying pay and naturally the adulation of you lesser mortals.:D

Melchett01
31st Oct 2004, 22:37
Tourist - Easy Tiger!!!

Sounds like a job well done under bloody difficult conditions.

And as for differentiating between the driver and the bloke on the end of the winch, sorry mate, but you're in a minority of one. As far as I'm concerned, and I would wager most others like me agree, in a case like this it's one in, all in. Sounds like you are harking back to the days of differential awards, with an ac captain getting the DSO with his Nav getting the MID if he was lucky because he accidentally happened to be there at the same time as the pilot displayed outstanding leadership and bravery blah blah blah.

By the sounds of it, everyone of the crew deserved an award, and good on them. Long may the spirit of 'above and beyond the cal'l continue.

God knows, in the current climate of the Top Brass not wanting to take risks and stand-off weapons that can take out Mrs Miggins Pie Shop from a couple of hundred miles, we need all the good examples of heroism and leadersip we can get, and this sounds like one of them.

Hueymeister
31st Oct 2004, 22:49
Well done to all concerned...that's the sort of courage and determination that the SAR service as a whole always puts into it's rescues.

swampy_lynx_puke
1st Nov 2004, 00:45
I understand that this is the first time a female has received this type of award. Can anyone think of a previous?

1st Nov 2004, 05:51
The Navy admit they might have had assistance from the RAF......that'll be the day. I wonder how much press coverage would have been given to this rescue had the pilot not been female?

Dancing Bear
1st Nov 2004, 06:16
Tourist,

One small point having read the whole thread, this is an award from "The Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators for outstanding feats in the field of Search and Rescue", therefore QED you have to be in a SAR squadrton or on a SAR Mission(As 814 NAS, who won the award a few years ago for a magnificent contribution to the Greek liner that hit rocks) to qualify. There is no mention of medals and the crew would probably not wish for any. Get your facts right berfore you sound off.

This is appropriatte recognition for an outstanding feat of both SAR and airmanship, BZ to all involved for achieving such a succesful outcome in such awful West Country conditions.

Keep up the good work the Ace of Clubs.

Tourist
1st Nov 2004, 06:21
you misunderstand me.
I was not arguing with their recieving this award, I was arguing with snafu's point that the service should also award medals.

Bigtop
1st Nov 2004, 20:16
Tourist - read SNAFU's post carefully. Reward of a similar manner need not necessarily mean medals. CINCFLEET's Commendation and a raft of other acolades (QCBA) could be awarded to recognise their achievements. SAR can be as dangerous as any other operational commitments. Bravery should be assessed on an individual basis and recognised accordingly.
Top job - well done 193.

snafu
1st Nov 2004, 23:02
Bigtop - you beat me to it!

Tourist, I wasn't actually advocating any specific award, just that I felt it would be appropriate for the Service to acknowledge the achievement of the crew of Rescue 193, which has quite rightly been recognised by GAPAN. Whilst I understand your comment that they, as a SAR crew, were only doing their jobs, I would suggest that this particular rescue was at the extreme end of the spectrum. As such, I agree with GAPAN that it deserves special recognition over and above the normal courage and dedication demonstrated by our SAR crews (of whatever uniform/Service or employer) around the country every day.

If pressed, I reckon a Green endorsement for the whole crew to start with, followed by a smattering of QCBAs at least. The RN are traditionally appalling at proposing people for gongs, but I think that a case could quite easily be made for QGMs or even higher for the two aircrewmen and Claire as the aircraft captain. Unfortunately, I'm not going to hold my breath!

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Nov 2004, 07:28
I can hold my breath no longer. Would someone be kind enough to tell this ignoramus (and perhaps one or two others as well - but were afraid to ask!) what the term BZ signifies please.

airborne_artist
2nd Nov 2004, 07:49
BZ is Navy speak for "Well Done"

The signal book uses a two flag system, with the B- signals being called administrative signals, and dealing with miscellaneous matters of administration and housekeeping. The last signal on the "Administrative" page is BZ, standing for "well done."

Tourist
2nd Nov 2004, 13:14
The Greek ferry rescue has been mentioned. That event was a non SAR trained crew, under extremely dangerous conditions for all concerned, and quite rightly garnered some Bravery awards. Some SAR crew is out in Sh1tty weather most days, and I bet if you asked Claire whether that mission was particularly outstanding she could think of a few others during her 771 time that were more exciting, but got less press attention.

On another note, did you know that the rescued man is in jail now, cause he pinched the yacht!

old-timer
2nd Nov 2004, 20:10
TOP CREW

Well done one and all - service - dedication - it still
exists in this sometimes sad old world,

you can't keep true spirit & grit down -
INSPIRATIONAL !! WELL DONE !!!

cobaltfrog
2nd Nov 2004, 20:28
Lets face facts here. When you look at the fact that there was only one RN/RM DFC for Telic when there should have been more then what chance does the crew of 193 have of getting something along the lines of a QCBA or a QGM ?

The Honours and awards Committee were faced with many recommends for awards of MID and above for Telic for work in the Air relating to the RN/RM and we got 1 DFC, 3 MID's and 2 QCVS's.

I take nothing from Claire and the crew as I was not there and certainly do not have her skills in the cockpit, but I do know how the honours and awards system works!

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Nov 2004, 20:52
AA, thank you very much. Now we know.:ok: