PDA

View Full Version : Big 'thumbs up' to Spanair

knobbygb
2nd Nov 2004, 19:05
Just returned from Spain and I thought, after all the "xyz airlines are crap" type threads it's be good to give credit where it is due.

I'd booked Lufthansa flights to Madrid via Frankfurt and I must admit, when I first found out that the FRA-MAD legs were codeshare with Spainair my first thought was "if I'd wanted to go on a second rate charter airline I could have chosen any number of UK operators who fly direct to Spain". Anyway, how wrong I was!

For a European short-haul operation, Spanair offer an absolutely excellent service. On a 2 hour leg, we got a cold meal (with hot bread rolls), TWO free drinks services including alcohol, an in-flight movie (free headsets), and bang-on departures (and arrivals) aboard a spacious comfortable A320 - the seat pitch was excellent. The crew wer polite and attentive and actually served the food rather than simply throwing it at us. After the stale lump of rye bread and chewy-cheese I'd just eaten on Lufthansa, this was a major improvement.

So I just wanted to say a big thanks to all at Spanair for making my trip just a little less stressful than the usual european short-haul experience. :D

One thing that bothers me though: if the major carriers can't make a profit (or a smaller loss ;) ) without cutting back on the already very basic service, what chance have these airlines got at surviving while offering "full" service? Or am I missing somthing?

PaperTiger
2nd Nov 2004, 21:03
One thing that bothers me though: if the major carriers can't make a profit (or a smaller loss ) without cutting back on the already very basic service, what chance have these airlines got at surviving while offering "full" service? Or am I missing something?It's all about cost per seat mile. Most of the 'majors' are saddled with legacy costs (I won't start an argument about the pros and cons), whereas startups aren't. Hence the low-cost tag.