PDA

View Full Version : Best UK Connections ?

Bagso
2nd Nov 2004, 08:05
Does anybody know the best connected UK airport in terms of domestic schedules ?

Amsterdam always used to claim that it had more inter UK connections than any airport on the UK mainland, is this still true, does anybody have the figures ?

Manchester now serves 23 destinations in the UK and Eire at least once a day and in most cases this is 5/6 per day !

How does this compare with say LHR, LGW, AMS or maybe even BHX..... !

Anybody have a breakdown ?

Take up the Hold
2nd Nov 2004, 09:11
Including Eire Glasgow has 27, unless I can't count.

TUTH

Joe Curry
2nd Nov 2004, 12:51
It has to be EDI surely?

wangi
2nd Nov 2004, 13:26
Joe, while EDI has a lot Glasgow's island services really increase the total at GLA.

jabird
2nd Nov 2004, 14:45
Surely it depends on your criteria:

I assume you include the ROI in all cases, as these flights are generally regarded as domestic?

Most transfer passengers handled on domestic flights - presumably still LHR by a long way?
Largest volume of domestic passengers - is this one of the CAA published stats?
Highest number of weekly flights
Most destinations served - in which case I count 15 at BHX, 23 at MAN, 18 at STN, 17 at LGW, and yes, lots at GLA and EDI with all the island routes (especially ex GLA).

However, I think DUB would top the list (if using the above criteria), with something like 37 (will have to check my counting), including all the PSO routes within Eire.

I assume we are talking about airports as separate entities, rather than cities, although this obvious gives any of the few cities serving all 6 "London" airports (I think just DUB and EDI?) a big advantage

Bagso
2nd Nov 2004, 16:35
Thanks for the input, very interesting ...especially Dub at 37

With of course due respect to GLA and indeed EDI (both great airports) I was looking at destinations with what might be described as a "reasonable large catchment area" rather than simply a destination.....

The point I was getting at was that AMS claimed itself as the 3rd London Airport (before STN of course) based on its connections to that "The Regions", (dreaded word).

At 23 Manchester now has a really viable network coupled to high frequency ......

Although the LHR network will obviously carry more transit pax in terms purely of frequency and range does it beat MAN ?

Daza
3rd Nov 2004, 18:32
Birmingham suffers from being in central England within driving distance of London, South Wales,South West England the south coast etc perhaps why BHX has always had its international tag??
Daza