PDA

View Full Version : Exploding cell-phone battery!


Cyclic Hotline
1st Nov 2004, 20:07
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 679MG Make/Model: B727 Description: B-727
Date: 10/30/2004 Time: 0223

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N Damage: Minor

LOCATION
City: RALEIGH State: NC Country: US

DESCRIPTION
N679MG/CCP2662, B727 ACFT, REPORTED A FIRE IN THE CABIN DUE TO AN EXPLODED CELL PHONE BATTERY, ACFT RETURNED AND LANDED SAFELY, RALEIGH, NC

manamana
1st Nov 2004, 21:06
Crikey, that must be a first. Glad it wasn't my phone next to my head when it exploded!:ouch:

tony draper
1st Nov 2004, 21:14
Saw a charge up torch go boom once, it started smoking and we pulled up on the hard shoulder of the motorway,twas already to hot to pick up so I kicked out the vehicle, went up like a flare,lossa potential energy tied up in a battery.
:uhoh:

Synthetic
1st Nov 2004, 22:09
Everyone have a look at the batteries in their phones, laptops etc. If they are labeled 'li-pol' or 'li-ion', read the instructions very carefully and follow them to the letter. The are potentially very dangerous if misused. Mr Draper is spot on about the amount of energy stored in a battery, but the latest have an added hazzard. They contain lithium. Everyone remember it from chemistry?

flapsforty
2nd Nov 2004, 05:57
CH, interesting. There's been some reports here about fake replacement cell phone batteries for a certain phone brand being an explosion risk.
Also about the dangers of dropping your phone. Apparently, once your phone has had a bad fall, the risk of the battery exploding greatly increases.

Any info on what make the phona in question was and if it was on or off at the time of the incident?

angels
2nd Nov 2004, 07:33
Er, why not ask Israel's Shin Bet about exploding cellphone batteries?

Google the name Yehiya Ayyash and you'll see what I mean....

Loc-out
2nd Nov 2004, 07:38
angles

You beat me to it!!

flapsforty
2nd Nov 2004, 07:40
There seems to have been a close cooperation between Shin Bet and the Palestinian Authority Angels.

It also seems entirely irrelevant to this thread, so let's not go there eh?

MadsDad
2nd Nov 2004, 07:53
Don't know if it's connected to exploding batteries but I was advised never to use the car battery-charger for my phone for more than 1/2 hour because it would cause the battery to overheat.

(I assume this is something to do with a the car charger giving a higher amperage charge but I'm not at all sure).

henry crun
2nd Nov 2004, 08:26
MadsDad, I wouldn't use a car battery charger on an phone/appliance battery for any period..

There are several types of rechargeable batteries now.
The voltage per cell can vary and their charging requirements can be different.

Regardless of the type of battery, most of them have dedicated chargers which detect a peak voltage when they are fully charged, and then cut down to a trickle or cut out completely.
They are also not necessarily interchangeable.

An overcharge from an unregulated/wrong type of charger can result in severe overheating and eventually explosion.

Everyone would be well advised to only use the charger supplied/recommended by the manufacturer of the appliance.

MadsDad
2nd Nov 2004, 10:40
Henry

The way I read you answer you seem to be referring to a charger for car batteries.

If it is I have been misinterpreted (that will teach me to use imprecise phrasing) and just to clarify, I mean a phone battery-charger designed for use in a car (i.e. plug into lighter socket) and not a battery-charger designed for a car battery - that would really melt the thing.

And there again I could have misunderstood you.

(I know. I know you know. I know you know I........ )

Danza
2nd Nov 2004, 11:35
I think henry misunderstood you, you didn't misunderstand henry, and now the misinterpretation is cleared up there is no more misunderstanding, ok ;)

Big Tudor
2nd Nov 2004, 12:19
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp)
Bit of a write up about mobile phone batteries on Snopes. "A Certain Phone Brand" are putting the blame on non-standard replacement batteries.

henry crun
2nd Nov 2004, 19:41
MadsDad and Danza are correct I did misunderstand the original remark, sorry folks.

I don't own a mobile phone so it didn't occur to me that you were referring to the lighter socket.

maxman
2nd Nov 2004, 20:05
Madsdad. You've gone and ruined it now, i've spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out, how you get those great big crocodile clips on those teeny tiny terminals.
:p

MadsDad
3rd Nov 2004, 07:08
Maxman.

In a spirit of experimentation I found it was impossible to connect the crocodile clips to the standard terminal. However I then found that by hammering a 3 inch nail into the power inlet (one of the circular battery connectors, I don't know if it would be possible with the square ones) it was easy to connect one clip to the nail and the other to the phone.

The hospital says the bandages should be off in a few weeks. It was a pity about the garage, although the firemen did do the best they could in the circumstances (memo: never try this experiment on the day you fill your cars petrol tank). :E

tony draper
3rd Nov 2004, 07:15
One thing we can thank the mobile phone for, is the improvement in battery technology,ones first mobile was the size of a small settee amd the batteries ued to last about 4 hours.
:cool: