PDA

View Full Version : Five shutdowns in a row!

PPRuNe Pop
1st Nov 2004, 14:51
I have no idea what happened. I was quietly working away and then 'IT' shutdown - five times!

Re-booted, and it got to different positions in all the re-starts (which I did not do) before it finally settled down.

Any idea why that happened? Never known it before.

PPP

mikedurward
1st Nov 2004, 15:00
Can you tell us what system you are running and what the os is please

Mike

PPRuNe Pop
1st Nov 2004, 15:29
Yep!

XP Pro. AMD 2600, 512mb Ram.

I have an idea. I have been running my case without the sides in place. I put them back yesterday. I noticed today that the Temp was 39c. On the second boot I reduced the o/clocking I did many months ago so it would reduce the temp - which is now 34c.

Would that have had an effect?

mikedurward
1st Nov 2004, 15:40
to be honest. shutdown temps are normally around 85degrees
so running with side panels off should not really make that much deiierence. i have had a barton 3000+ for nearly a year now and the panels have never been on. Think its a computer engineer thing. Its easier to get into if the sides ar off ! ! ! !

Mike

BRL
1st Nov 2004, 17:37
Hi there. My PC tends to restart all of its own accord quite often. Sometimes it doesn't for days, sometimes it does it several times a day. I also get the blue screen and everytime that happens, it is usually a driver problem that causes it, so, have you installed/updated anything new recently?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Nov 2004, 20:28
PPRuNe Pop & BRL,

Shutdowns are not normal. There are many causes, both hardware and software.

If it is a problem with Hardware not properly installed, not compatible, or damaged.

If it is a software issue, it could be a corrupted OS, a bad driver, a virus or some other malware.

Take Care,

Richard

Evo
1st Nov 2004, 20:56
Richard is spot on. People criticise the reliability of Windows, but since Microsoft dropped the Win9x codestream (i.e. now we have Win2k and XP) the reliability of a maintained system on good hardware is IMHO as good as any Unix, and better than OS X (and I use all of the above :O ). Without wanting to restart the PC v Mac debate, and freely admitting I sit slightly on the Mac side, my main work XP/Pro PC has run 24/7 for 3 years, usually under serious processor and memory load, and has never crashed or locked up. The software it's running has gone from time to time, but it has never taken the OS with it. Linux is just as reliable, but OS X sometimes locks solid - and rather more frequently than i'd like.

The reliability problems are not helped one bit by the insecurity of windows, and I'm not going to try and defend that, but the main cause of unreliability in a clean system is cheap hardware and poor quality drivers - the two go hand in hand in my experience. Anybody selling decent hardware usually has the quality control to produce good drivers too. Windows should not just crash any more, so if it does there's a problem somewhere.

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Nov 2004, 05:02
All interesting points and all taken on board.

I did do two installs. Some video editing software and a USB 2 both with their respective cards. The former was a straightford install. The latter did need drivers, which I installed. But the shutdown, I should say re-starts, were very sudden and i played no part in them.

The curious thing is that each re-start took the start-up a stage further each time, until it then settled down and didn't re-start and it's been like since.

One further point. I did do a de-frag prior to the shutdowns.

It is absolutely fine now btw.

E-Liam
2nd Nov 2004, 06:31
Hi Pop,

This is a quick one, as I'm off out, but..

1. Have you got SP2 loaded

and 2. Can you find a folder called TV Media

Alarm bells rang when you said you had some video editing software newly installed.

TV Media is known to cause conflict problems with startup/shutdown with SP2.

Late for work now, I'll supply more detail later, if needed... :)

Cheers

Liam

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Nov 2004, 06:49
No TV Media folder to be found. But...........it is still running as before the shutdowns. No further problems.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help and inputs.

PPP