PDA

View Full Version : Missing Clock

mikedurward
1st Nov 2004, 14:23
Hiya Guys,

I have a small but very annoying problem. I have lost the clock from my notification area in the right corner. I am on xp pro sp2. Not really sure what happened just disappeared on day when I switch on the pc.

Any ideas VERY welcome.

Ta

Mike

stickyb
1st Nov 2004, 14:32
This should be an easy one to fix.

Right click on a blank area of the tool bar and select Properties. That should bring up a series of options on a screen, tick show clock and ok.

mikedurward
1st Nov 2004, 14:37
Hiya

That is what I thought too. The "Show clock" is greyed out ! ! ! ! !

BLUE SKY THINKER
1st Nov 2004, 16:06
mikedurward.....

Several of us came to the conclusion here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=149585) last week that there are probably some 'time issues', post SP2.

Not sure that there is anything in that link for somebody with a completely missing clock (?), however, take a quick look at Control Panel > Date & Time. Something obvious might show there, before rechecking Start >Properties (as previous).

Wont hold my breath on this one though; just a thought.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
1st Nov 2004, 16:50
mikedurward

If you are familiar with using the registry navigate to...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer

Check there is nothing in the right hand window that mentions clock e.g. hideclock.

If there is delete it reboot and that should be you.

I would strongly recommend running Adaware or Spybot as spyware can cause this very problem.

FSD

mikedurward
1st Nov 2004, 17:08
Thanks for that but I cant run regedit either. It says it has been disabled by the administrator.

Strange sice that is ME ! ! ! !

I also dont have the run command on my start menu anymore ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Avtrician
2nd Nov 2004, 00:54
If you havent down loaded any nifty (a word from the past meaning cool or sick) programs lately, then a bug of some sort may have got in.
Sometimes these helpful little tools that get down loaded and run turn off access to your admin privleges to prevent removal. My son did this once, and I ended up re building the computer.:*

Front_Seat_Dreamer
2nd Nov 2004, 17:41
Definitely sounds like Virus / Spyware / Malware problem.

Do you have multiple login screens, if so can you log in as administrator rather than your name.

Start - Log off - yes - at the login screen CTRL+ALT hit DEL twice then login as administrator (providing you know password)

Now try registry mentioned above

Would also seriously recommend spyware remover of sorts.