PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Spitfire cross-sectionals

Ian Corrigible
1st Nov 2004, 12:49
I recently promised to help a WW2 veteran locate some cross sectional diagrams of the Spitfire (marks IX, XIV or XVIII), but after browsing the 'Net have come up dry. Can anyone help ?

Thanks,
I/C

TD&H
2nd Nov 2004, 09:34
Interesting that you include XVIII, as only 300 or so produced and only did post war service. Did your man fly them?

I have some A2 size MkXIV/XIX that might help, what amount of detail do you need? Also various other books etc.

Plus I'm sure you'll find some Spitfire books/magazine articles will have the Mk IX in some way or another. There is the MKV Manual, from the RAF Museum that has comprehensive details of that mark, including rigging, ground handling etc.

There is a company that has copies of all the Spitfire construction diagrams that they managed to get from the RAF museum, but will cost you to get copies. All the restorers will have diagrams in great details for the types they have restored.

PM me if you wish

Ian Corrigible
2nd Nov 2004, 19:22
TD&H - please check your PMs

TwoDeadDogs - thanks for your kind offer, which I will pass on.

Cheers,
I/C

DOC.400
5th Nov 2004, 09:22
Isn't there a huge cross sectional on a board in Goodwood flying club?

Mel

StbdD
5th Nov 2004, 19:49
Smithsonian Institute archive department may be able to help.

Tech drawings (advertises a prepared set for the MK VII):

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/collections/techdraw/prepsets.cfm

USAF drawings on microfiche:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/services.cfm

Cheers,
StbdD

jumpseater
7th Nov 2004, 08:07
Try these:
spitfire restoration (no space) followed by dot com
Theres also a chap called Arthur Bently/Bentley? worth trawling for, who has a superb range of drawings, not sure if he does the spit yet though.

Ian Corrigible
10th Nov 2004, 13:47
Thanks again to all for your responses. I'll forward the info to the chap in question.

Cheers,
I/C