PDA

View Full Version : CuteFTP error/Advert.dll missing.......Help please..

BRL
1st Nov 2004, 11:50
Hi all. A few days ago I ran Ad-aware and Spybot. Since then, I ran cute ftp and it won't load coming back with the error 'Cannot load advert.dll, please make sure it is installed corectly...'

Who, how, where, when etc.........:confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Nov 2004, 12:00
BRL,

It looks like you were hit with a Backdoor Santa:

"Backdoor Santas": Countless stand-alone programs that incorporate similar approaches have no links to adware networks or no ad-serving, per se, but they nonetheless collect information from users.

Among the most popular are:

--Floating Web search toolbars, such as Alexa (which merely tracks usage to offer upgrades) and Hotbar (bundled with iMesh, it adds buttons to browsers leading to advertiser sites and retrieves information from forms filled out in browsers);

--Comet Cursor (a cursor-transformation utility that serves no ads but automatically downloads and counts cursors displayed at partner sites);

--Gator's Gator eWallet, Precision Time, and Date Manager utilities;

--CuteFTP (which carries Aureate);

--BonziBUDDY (which serves adds, frequently prompts users for personal information, tracks all usage, deposits icons in the startup folder, system tray and on the desktop, repeatedly resets the browser homepage to BONZI.COM without asking permission, and leaves components behind after users use its uninstall program).

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
1st Nov 2004, 13:20
Hmm, interesting, thanks Richard. How do I deal with CuteFTP not working?. Any ideas?

Evo
1st Nov 2004, 14:30
Reinstall it? :)

BRL
1st Nov 2004, 17:35
:O

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Nov 2004, 20:08
BRL,

Like Evo said, uninstall and then reinstall it. I would also look for any reference to advert.dll in the Windows Registry and delete it too.

Take Care,

Richard

Ausatco
2nd Nov 2004, 12:37
CuteFTP is trialware - at least it was when I bought it some 18 months ago.

During the trial period you get ads. When you register the ads are turned off.

If you use Adaware or Spybot to kill the ad function in CuteFTP during the trial period you will get problems - Spybot warns about this.

Re-install should fix it. Purchase and registration may also fix it.

AA