PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Huey Pilots in the ****e - Update

Phoenix Rising
31st Oct 2004, 23:48
Info I got was this was taken from an apartment building on the Gold Coast in OZ as the Huey did a fly by as part of the Indy Car Grand Prix. Wonder if they got the bosses approval :)

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Army%20at%20Play.jpg

the wizard of auz
31st Oct 2004, 23:57
Bwahahahaha, Onya boys!!!!. :ok:

Milt
1st Nov 2004, 00:04
Now how about the shots taken from the helicopter please?

sprocket
1st Nov 2004, 04:44
They should have left room on the bottom of the sign for the words ... "Or Else!" :D

Vfrpilotpb
1st Nov 2004, 06:16
A very good picture for the Calendar, which month though?

:ok:
Vfr

Arm out the window
1st Nov 2004, 07:39
Good work boys....Seagull 571

Must have had the big cohones on that day, in this climate of political correctness, hope no plonkers get hold of it and try to hang anyone.

RobboRider
1st Nov 2004, 07:52
Did the message work?
Bout time the defence machinary was put to a good purpose!

Capt Hollywood
1st Nov 2004, 09:15
Obviously no forethought behind that idea, you can tell by the way the words have been quickly scribbled on the paper!

Bl00dy funny though and that's what Indy is about after all!

Hollywood :cool:

the wizard of auz
1st Nov 2004, 10:43
I would guess, by looking at the sign, that it would be SOPs at any public gathering they attend, and the sign is standard equiptment and probably appears on the MEL. :E :ok:

Helipolarbear
1st Nov 2004, 11:02
Not the sharpest tool in the box to include the reg numbers on the door in photo...but hey.....great show.....the cojo doing a good low level beach pass!!;) Aussies, Kiwi's.......well at least you fly better than ya play rugby......................:}

Flying Foxy
1st Nov 2004, 12:49
In what region of Australia is the camo of that Huey intended for?

Pink and green??

Maybe a naturist beach with undergrowth to cover modesty and allow pilots to view what the sign requests!

FF ;)

B Sousa
1st Nov 2004, 15:09
Good to see a Picture of someone who still has the Balls to be Normal.......AND its only proper that it be done in a Huey...

I certainly have some stories of escapades in a Huey............as to many others.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Nov 2004, 16:44
Bert

Similar to the scheme the boere and Rhodies used - nutria and olive by the look of it.

Bloody brilliant!:ok: Ozmates deserve the Tri Nations Cup back for that one.....:E :ok:

Av8r
1st Nov 2004, 19:24
:eek: Nice low pass.

Note the street light not far below the skids.

Wonder how many Army types are ducking for cover right about now....

"BLOGS. GET IN HERE...."

Takes me back to a certain beat-up in a B47J along the main beach of Great Keppel Is. That low he hit a palm tree on the beach!
Ahh...those were the days.

ShyTorque
1st Nov 2004, 19:40
Could it be that the crew were simply very keen ornithologists and were flying close to the local bird sanctuary? :8

No, thought not....... :D

winchop
2nd Nov 2004, 03:41
Sad to say the PC Military have failed to see the humour. The commander of 16 Brigade (Aviation) was summoned to Canberra to front the Defence Force Chief and the defence minister!

From a source in the Squadron, all the crew are getting charged and all public displays of Army aircraft have been banned UFN. Typical of the military in this country to totally over-react. :*

The pilots are saying they didn't know about the sign and the Loadmaster is saying the pilots handed it back to him to hold it up!! Hope you enjoy your new desk jobs boys!!:uhoh:

BigMike
2nd Nov 2004, 04:47
Yep, looks like no one can take a joke. From AAP news on Yahoo.com.au:

An army chopper crew has been stood down after a crewman issued a very public invitation for women to "show us your tits" at the recent Indy 300 car race on the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately for the crew of Iroquois helicopter No 295, an onlooker in a highrise flat snapped a photo of the sign displayed by a crewman as the chopper flew along the beachfront on October 23.

The image ended up on the website of the Professional Pilots Rumour Network.

The photo attracted a variety of mostly approving comments on the website's forum, including "Onya boys" and "Now how about the shots taken from the helicopter please?"

" ... in this climate of political correctness, hope no plonkers get hold of it and try to hang anyone," wrote another.

A spokesman for the Australian Defence Force said it was aware of the incident and did not approve.

"This type of behaviour is totally unacceptable and will not be condoned by the Australian Army," the spokesman said.

"An investigation is under way and the crew of the aircraft have been stood down while the investigation is under way."

The spokesman said the crew was stood down as soon as the army became aware of the incident in the past week.

BigMike

ReadMyACARS
2nd Nov 2004, 05:05
Must have had the big cohones on that day, in this climate of political correctness, hope no plonkers get hold of it and try to hang anyone.

Sorry AOTW, some d!ckheads just have to prove how smart they really are.......html:yuk:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/02/1099362132947.

Okay, so try this link instead

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/02/1099362132947.html

B Sousa
2nd Nov 2004, 05:25
Most of the Posters here agree. Hats off to the guys. One good thing about the Vietnam era was that things like this were normal behavior. Healthy stuff. The piss ants who now run things are filtered through some PC school for wimps.
Dam it was good back then.......

Giovanni Cento Nove
2nd Nov 2004, 06:17
Notwithstanding that someone took the photograph, so what, the issue is more that it has now been posted in the public domain by someone and hypothetically there could be as many as 2000 copies floating around the planet.

From the Army point of view it could have been quietly swept under the carpet as it would have been one persons "word" against another prior to this "evidence" which someone has made the unenviable decision to publish. Now it has become a mountain of paperwork, grief, embarassment, duck shoving, ar$e kissing, careers side tracked, etc etc. Army Officers do not go looking for work after all and if it sticks you will wear it.

The funniest thing is that the "publisher in the public domain" is none other than - well you work it out.

Given where this person makes their living it would appear to be either mindlessly stupid, akin to shooting yourself in the foot, or maybe someone has an issue.

A suggestion to the "publisher" might be to purchase a large hand gun and then shoot themselves in the foot. Whilst you are recovering and waiting for the knock on the door from some burly Aussie lads, I suggest they read page 1 of the bear hunting manual, and purchase a large tin of grease and a file and prepare to file off the sights and coat the gun in grease so it doesn't hurt so much when the "Aussie Lads" place it where the sun doesn't regularly shine. (But then again????)

Remember the mentality that carried out this operation in the first place. They found it stimulating, so the exercise above could be attractive.

Hope you sleep well at night - N#D. Wonder how long it will be before you are allowed back on an Aussie Army base? The picture is not the funny part in this thread!

Uncommon Sense
2nd Nov 2004, 07:13
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1233231.htm

Heliport
2nd Nov 2004, 07:18
Rather harsh Giovanni.

I know you're not Phoenix Rising's biggest fan but, from the responses, I suspect many other people would have posted it here if they'd had a copy.

Once the Army found out, a bollocking was obviously inevitable.
But standing the crew down while an investigation is under way? :rolleyes:

A sop to the political correctness brigade, I suppose.

Hugh Jarse
2nd Nov 2004, 07:36
I like the device next to the Loadmaster.

Appears to be a carefully designed winch for raising and lowering a slab:}

Duff Man
2nd Nov 2004, 07:37
Can understand how the Australian forces want to keep a PR image somewhat removed from the US vv Abu Ghraib photographs.

BUT there is a fine PC line to be trod and the fine line was FAR AWAY from a "show us your tits" banner. I'm sure the subsequent courtmarshall of inquiry will find "the soldiers failed to recognise the requirement to portray a positive equal opportunity image of the Australian Army at all times while in the public eye and will agree to future signs bearing the revised phraseology "show us your rude bits" ..."

gaunty
2nd Nov 2004, 07:39
Bwahahahaha

Just plain bl**dy funny and what the famous Aussie larrikins are loved for world wide.

A pox on any defense wally or Minister who makes more of it than it was.

Slap on the wrist and don't do it again.

I want real live people with cojones out there looking after me, not drones.

sprocket
2nd Nov 2004, 07:48
Duff Man wrote:
..."the soldiers failed to recognise the requirement to portray a positive equal opportunity image of the Australian Army at all times while in the public eye and will agree to future signs bearing the revised phraseology "show us your rude bits" ..."

It might backfire in a court, after all, we all have tits, just somes biggern' others!

Cornholio
2nd Nov 2004, 07:49
Good on you Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising
2nd Nov 2004, 07:54
Whatever you say Giovanni, or John Bicker.

Photo was sent to me by one of the guys at the squadron with the ok to post it, so if they didnt have a problem then I dont. In fact I had seven seperate people send me that image and was also advised it had already been published in one of the Gold Coast papers.

With regards to all of your others insults and accusations towards me, if that gets you off, then go ahead and fire away.

:E

Ascend Charlie
2nd Nov 2004, 07:54
Wow, you edited that one quickly, and not a bad idea.

When i was flying the SAR Hueys, we had a blackboard painted with a dayglo "SHARK" on one side, to show to surfers if one was threatening them on the beach. The flip side said "Show us your tits" and a lot of the girls on the beach did.

The lads at Indy were reacting to what they were seeing in the high-rises. Nearly every balcony had topless girls, and they would tease the boys on the ground who were chanting S.U.Y.T.

While flying the camera ship for the race, my cameraman was given strict instructions NOT to use his gyro-stabilised 75:1 zoom lens on them.

Double standards. Everybody loves looking at them, but just don't get caught doing it.

Cornholio
2nd Nov 2004, 07:58
Good on you Phoenix Rising, these guys do the hard yards and guys like you throw them in the sh!t when they try to have a little fun. Someone's gonna have his @rse kicked for having a little harmless fun.

I'm sure you're proud of doing your civic duty. I reckon... These guys were screwed here because someone had to show off and post a digital pic.

Tough luck, Huey jocks, enjoy your time in the Infantry Corps. You can thank Phoenix Rising when you're digging trenches and practicing going without sleep.

Worst break is for the crewie with no real skills. He'll go from Sgt or W/Off down to Private!!!!! Get used to crap food again, diggers.

Buster Hyman
2nd Nov 2004, 08:06
And who should we be e-mailing to stand up for these guys?

Give em a break for cryin' out loud!:rolleyes:

Phoenix Rising
2nd Nov 2004, 08:08
Cornholio et al,

For all of your info I spoke to Defence PR this afternoon and they had actually seen the images and television footage, yes TV footage from the ground of the offending incident first thing on Monday morning, which is two days before I even got sent the image. Seems like the ground TV crews also managed to capture heaps of images and footage, heck you could hardly miss it as they flew low level down the track, notice the hi rises in the background. Defence PR also had people at the Indy Car Grand Prix because of the military involvement. You can conveniently forget that all the media captured it on film and footage there, and blame me for wrecking their careers. Obviously their decisions to do it, and the fact that all the media there captured it "live" wasnt a factor.

Have a great days guys.

John Eacott
2nd Nov 2004, 08:11
Maybe time to slow down with assumptions and accusations, guys. As Ned says, the photo was already well in the public domain, having been published in the Gold Coast Bulletin, and had certainly been mass e mailed to me twice in the previous week.

Just because a newspaper links the Army to PPRuNe doesn't make Rotorheads the culprit; how often does a newspaper get it right, anyway? I hosted the photo for Ned because I was aware that the squadron was already under suspicion/enquiry from the Thought Police; I couldn't see any damage in further dissemination of the photo, which appealled to my non PC humour.

When the dust settles, if mine or Ned's actions have contributed to the strife of the crew, I will personally apologise. Until then, calm down with the mud slinging, eh?

Giovanni Cento Nove
2nd Nov 2004, 08:35
OK so now we know the facts. Thought it was some sort of scoop, not something rehashed.

Yawn - retreat to cave.

reallyoldfart
2nd Nov 2004, 09:25
Could be that the sandbag in the back is demonstrating the fact that being a loadmaster requires no brains at all. I bet they aren't there next year.

winchop
2nd Nov 2004, 10:39
It's hardly Phoenix risings fault!

There were literally hundreds of media there that weekend and I even read it on the Monday after the weekend on the RAAF intranet BEFORE it was posted on pprune.

To reallyoldfart..

Good name, sounds like it suits you. Loadmasters spend most of their time keeping you pilots out of the ****e! You're either a pilot who has never flown with one, or a groundie who failed to become one.

FYI it was the pilot who made the sign and told the loadmaster to hold it up in the first place. So I don't know who has the least brains, you, the loadie or the pilot. You I think...

S76Heavy
2nd Nov 2004, 11:27
Weird country, Australia. Apparently one can travel half the globe to kick a dictator's *rse for false reasons, risking military lives in the proces, but one cannot enjoy a bit of banter and deal with it by giving the crew a month of KP on top of their regular duties and leave it at that.

I would think that the ADF is sending the wrong message to the people they try to attract and the people they have sworn to protect. If you want civil servants who will not upset the PC citizens, employ the girl scouts. But expect them to fight like girl scouts.
If you want real warriors, you'll have to accept that occasionaly they'll embarrass themselves and the ADF becaus their aptitude for lateral thinking just took an unexpected turn.

But then, I also enjoyed the banter in the Oxford crash thread..perhaps I'm completely out of touch with reality :rolleyes:

Sign Police
2nd Nov 2004, 11:37
Exactly right........the sign was not made by the pilot, as it was a fabricated sticker.... i am led to believe it had please written on the back of it....
The theme of indy is not really the race but the beautiful girls who attend. I was there and saw the boobs on display.
The soldiers were doing nothing more than participating in the fun to show that they are humans too, and somebody obviously got the wrong idea and decided to make a fuss.
Good onya boys, you guys did nothing wrong in my eyes, it has just been blown out of proportion

Avtrician
2nd Nov 2004, 11:40
The photo was on the Defence network with in hours, and did the rounds qutie quickly.

When I was working with SAR in the West many years ago, there was a blackboard in the back of both Hueys with the same thing written on it.

It was not exactly clever to display the well designed sign at the Indy races, but I found it funny.

One is just not permitted to have fun anymore:rolleyes:

Sign Police
2nd Nov 2004, 12:50
is it really that big of a deal?
So is it ok to hang signs and blow up dolls from balconys, yell abuse up to apartments and cheer when you get the desired result, but when a toey soldier just wants to see some jugs whilst playing along with the majority, he gets stood down.
Do we need to take a look at the message displayed on the sign or at the hidden message that the higher ranks in military and govt are focusing their attention on the wrong thing at times?
Build a bridge and get over it, as for the comment about the girl scouts..I couldnt agree more, these guys are human, give em a break and write about something else you journo's:*

MOR
2nd Nov 2004, 13:55
I'm not sure who is more terminally stupid, the helo crew who thought they could get away with it (in front of thousands of people, most of whom probably had digital cameras), or those on PPRuNe who think the poster is somehow responsible for their predicament.

It should be obvious (even to Australians) that the ADC is going to demand a high standard of behaviour from their guys when flying around in public.

Their goose was cooked as soon as they got the sign out.

Of course I have to agree that it is sad that the world has gone this way, and that a little bit of fun cannot be had without the thought police getting involved.

As Mr Smith said to Mr Anderson... "...it was inevitable".

And Gaunty - not sure why you think displaying that sign was evidence of cojones, it was more evidence of lack of brains.

Besides, I am very concerned that you so casually support the wanton demeaning of womankind in such a sexually threatening way...

(Sorry, that was my inner woman speaking... down girl!)

anybodyatall
2nd Nov 2004, 14:17
And now; even worse than the main stream media... you've been farked!

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1195734

Jerricho
2nd Nov 2004, 14:27
At least the guy had the sense to hold the sign in front of his face.

That's one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

B Sousa
2nd Nov 2004, 15:01
Tibbsey......you seem a bit on edge. The guys knew what they were doing and Im sure accepted the wrath to follow while doing it.
The military today is not where one wants to be anyway. As S76Heavy says its not good for recruitment of good folks when they Brass can spend so much time on unimportant drivel. If I were the enemy all I would have to do to stop any military action is place a few of these signs in the right spot and things would come to a halt.
Im sure Pappy Boyington would have chewed their A:mad: real good............as he passed them a Beer in toast. We have no more leaders, just paper pushers. The one with the highest stack gets promoted.
I certainly dont want a Military of nice guys. I want a bunch of hard trained folks who will kick your A:mad: in a heartbeat when ordered to do so.
Wish I could see Col Hackworths response to this one. As one who served in both the Marine Corps and the Army, I am a bit biased.

Sunfish
2nd Nov 2004, 18:23
Now you've done it! From the ABC

Army chopper crew stood down over Indy lark

An Army helicopter crew has been stood down after displaying an inappropriate sign at the recent Indy car race on Queensland's Gold Coast.

A crewman held up a sign saying "show us your tits" while the helicopter flew along the beachfront.

An onlooker apparently took a photo from a high-rise apartment building and it was published on the Professional Pilots Rumour Network website.

A spokesman for the Australian Defence Force says such behaviour is unacceptable.

He says the helicopter's crew has been stood down while an investigation is carried out.

Av8r
2nd Nov 2004, 19:03
:mad: What did they think was going to happen?

This has got nothing to do with John, Pprune or anyone else connected with showing, releasing or taking of the photo.
Someone in that helicopter didn’t think it through too well. (Bet he whishes he had of now)

Unfortunately these days you can’t do that sorta ****e anymore, be it for fun or otherwise, and do it in front of 5000 international photographers, what do you recon gunna happen?

The photo leaking was inevitable, either here or elsewhere.
Don't shoot the messenger.

The Enema Bandit
2nd Nov 2004, 19:27
I did three years as a grunt and they were a lot more sexist than that then. So what the hell is the problem?

56P
2nd Nov 2004, 19:44
Surely TIT means Turbine Inlet Temperature !!

High Nr
2nd Nov 2004, 20:56
And what was their Squadron Boss doing when he or she approved a Low Level flight over a built up area [see the street lights] in a single engine aircraft?

Despite what everyone thinks is acceptable in todays world about the wisdom of this event, surely stupidity is not yet so acceptable?

Remember the ADF is trying to change the old image of entrenched sexual harassment, demeening behaviour and lack of accountability. And then this is splattered all over the Newspapers.

Just an example of their unsuccessful efforts todate.

The rules of "correctness" are here to stay, get with it, or get out!

B Sousa, I take your point, but disagree with it. Just because the beer guzzling, womanising [manising as well], old style of behaviour has undergone some reshaping in the last 20 years or so, our existing guys and girls certainly can cut the mustard when called upon. The assumption you make is flawed.

Chronic Snoozer
2nd Nov 2004, 20:59
http://www.posthorn.co.uk/assets/images/products/33_A2018_T.jpg

Whats wrong with tits?

diethelm
2nd Nov 2004, 21:29
Note to self:

A sign about breasts is not sexual harrassment. A flight down a beach in a well maintained single engine aircraft which could divert over the water is not reckless or negligent. A person showing their breasts is not demening if they chose to do so, and most importantly, if you show a sign like that out of your aircraft, well, it is hard not to be accountable given the identifying numbers on the aircraft.

The picture was widely publicly disseminated. It was an ill timed practical joke. Put a letter in the personnel file, tell your children when you are 50 and spend more time on real problems in life and less on background noise.

Lighten up, it is not like the prime minister helped an intern to a cigar.......oops that was ours.........

Far Canard
2nd Nov 2004, 21:36
They should recruit homos - then the sign would have read "don't show us yout tits"

MoFo
2nd Nov 2004, 21:45
And now watch the politically correct ball breaking feminist colony at the ABC keep screaming until the pollies get involved.

Good one blokes, but enjoy cleaning sh*thouses when they bust you. I love your work.

helmet fire
2nd Nov 2004, 21:45
Speaking of plonkers:

And what was their Squadron Boss doing when he or she approved a Low Level flight over a built up area [see the street lights] in a single engine aircraft?

How about giving the media another riduculous statement by a "professional" pilot with which to hang the crew/bosses? Can you really determine so much information from a single photo? No. I think this is a rash, and unsupportable statement High NR, and I am sure upon reflection, you will agree.

As for the lads, have a laugh, give them a couple of extra duties, a swift kick up the ar5e, and lets get on with more important issues.

And as for the main steam media: why dont you qoute these website entries when something important happens?

Woomera
2nd Nov 2004, 22:06
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1233231.htm

Sadly, some Plonker - who read this thread - didn't have a sense of humour!!!

reallyoldfart
2nd Nov 2004, 22:20
Hey WINCHOP,

You really know how to dig yourself into a hole. Keep digging and you might finally disappear. Your earlier post showed you don't have all the facts, so why spread tales that are incorrect. All you have done is prove that what I said to be corrrect. This is after all, a pilot's network.

:uhoh:

High Nr
2nd Nov 2004, 22:28
The early news had it all on Video Tape.

It looked worse on video than the single photo.

Arm out the window
2nd Nov 2004, 22:33
Well now that I'm being quoted in the media, how about this issue...
the news and current affairs programs that are getting such mileage out of the incident are the very same ones who love to broadcast images of Indy girls and the like parading past the camera; they certainly like to focus in on the womanly attributes, shall we say, of these girls.
The promoters obviously think it appropriate to flog the sex appeal side of this circus as a means of getting punters through the gate.
So, 'show us your tits'...you can imply it, emphasise it, make statements full of inuendo about it...just don't SAY it!
What a farce.
I guess that the crew should have anticipated such a furore, so not great points for forethought, but if their careers suffer for this they would have a case for taking the whole double-standard-upholding media and promotion empire to court for damages!

ginjockey
2nd Nov 2004, 22:53
Let's be honest. It's a minor level prank but there are some people, lets call them sad little f*ckers, out there who are always going to be offended by our military men using taxpayer aircraft to cavort about at public gatherings with "rude" signs hanging out the door. I say good on the crew myself but they will get toasted for it army brass who now actually have to be seen to do something about it. Some of that brass will get much pleasure in punishing them and others will wish that it was them up there hanging out the door on the day but regardless, they must be "seen" to act to correct this unbecoming behaviour. Watch the paper for a statement from Canberra saying:

" in response to this outrage, we are rushing forward the introduction of the new Tiger helicopter..... which has no doors, to put a stop to this type of offence ever happening again......."

I think we have to remember that the crew must have been braindead to think they would not get caught for it. There are so many cameras at the Indy that it would have been impossible to get away with it without a camera catching it somewhere.

MOR
2nd Nov 2004, 23:04
Rubber Hose Johnny

I think the problem is that the majority of the civilised world do not think at the level of your typical Aussie grunt...

That explains why Tina Turner isn't in charge, and you don't all flock to a thunderdome for your entertainment (although I once saw an Aussie Rules game on the satellite, hard to tell the difference really).

This lack of moral fibre explains why you will never, as a nation, be any good at cricket.

Now if the sign had read "show us your nice, tasty, home-baked muffins", they might have got away with it...

helmet fire
2nd Nov 2004, 23:25
I havent seen the video high NR, so it appears it was me, and not you, that was shooting from the hip and uniformed. Sorry.
However, I do remain suprised that a Huey crew of their training would not have had an easily achieveable "out" such as an autorotative landing area (was the track available?) clear of people. An empty Huey like that has ample auto potential as I am sure you are aware. But more importantly: do we need to speculate on this at this particularly sensitive time?

Bronx
2nd Nov 2004, 23:44
Dunno what more some video's gonna show that ain't in the picture. Maybe looked worse and maybe didn't.
Seems to me High Nr just takes a very poor view of pranks in these serious times.

Anyone except High Nr see it who can give a neutral comment?

Sign Police
2nd Nov 2004, 23:50
diethelm
I completely agree with you in what you stated at the end of page 3.
The guys will be made an example of, but why? cos somebody high up needs a power trip and thought this would do? im not sure.
As for winchop, i know this is a rumour forum, but no need to make up more of them when you dont know exactly what went on.
There were plenty of low level flying stunts on the day, between buildings, which was a display to show the talents of the pilots during the break from racing. a couple of fighter jets were also involved in the flying display.
As one gold coast paper stated that the pilots "ORDERED" the girls to do so is just more hype that the media throw in to make their story sound better. For all we know the pilots may have been aiming the sign at the men, and the media percieved it wrong....I doubt it but hey....

eagle 86
3rd Nov 2004, 00:03
As an O&B military aviator who will freely admit to such antics, a similar offence in the old days would have resulted in a toe up the arse from the Squadron CO or at worse the Base Commander, stoppage of leave / bar privileges, a week's Duty Boy and promotion on time!!
We are victims these days of rapid dissemination of info and bull**** politically correctness (war isn't and never will be politically correct). I say good on the crew - I hope they show the same attitude when next they are called upon to protect my freedom!!
Aaah for the old days!
GAGS E86

winchop
3rd Nov 2004, 00:56
reallyoldfart..

How am I digging a hole when all I'm doing is replying to an unwarranted attack on loadmasters from you! Unless you're in the same unit and have been to the same meetings as we all have over this little incident, then pull you head in, you don't know crap. You sure are a bitter old man aren't you, whose obviously spent all your time flying single pilot, never having to both with anyone else in the aircraft. Pilots like you belong in museums. Great come back..'this is a PILOTS network after all'...you must be a hit in the crewroom.

sign police..

The info I have came from the guy whose the one handing out the punishment at squadron level so I don't know how I can be making stuff up. I'm only saying what I was told from unit level. No, the pilot didn't actually MAKE the sign, but he sure went and got it and took it along on the flight and got the loadie to show it.

Sign Police
3rd Nov 2004, 01:01
Quote by winchop
"The info I have came from the guy whose the one handing out the punishment at squadron level so I don't know how I can be making stuff up. I'm only saying what I was told from unit level. No, the pilot didn't actually MAKE the sign, but he sure went and got it and took it along on the flight and got the loadie to show it"

Aha, now youre getting a little closer to what really happened.:ok:

winchop
3rd Nov 2004, 01:09
Thats right, even though it's a rumour network I try to know at least the basic facts about the incident before speaking.

They guys will be punished not for what they did, but for getting caught...:cool:

Sign Police
3rd Nov 2004, 01:18
Is that right? Did you actually see a crew member acquire the sign? I think not....
Do you think there may be more signs the same or just one?

John Abersynth
3rd Nov 2004, 02:16
Suspended from duties. Good. So they should be. These twits have to be responsible for their own actions. Accountability!!

We've got some 205's and responsible pilots we can contract to the Army.

Just PM us

JA

eagle 86
3rd Nov 2004, 02:44
JA you twit!! Glad you're not responsible for defending my freedom!!
GAGS
E86

rotaryman
3rd Nov 2004, 03:33
John Abersynth :Suspended from duties. Good. So they should be. These twits have to be responsible for their own actions. Accountability!!

Once again mate you like many others need to get a sense of humour!! Ohh by the way i guess its o.k for these guys to risk their lives defending Australia??

Silly of them maybe, but who the F..k cares? blowing off a little smoke having a little fun? yea!! 100 lashes i say..LOL:

Good to see them keeping abreast of current low level tactics..:ok:

onetrack
3rd Nov 2004, 03:45
I can't believe the crap that is flying around as the result of this ''high jinks'' prank.
As a Vietnam Vet, I fail to see the benefit of making a huge deal out of a mild stunt that is carried out regularly in many other areas of society.

If there are serious penalties to come out of this, I think its a sad day for our military.
Just goes to show how the PC BS has invaded every facet of our society, thanks to screeching radicals on power trips.

I notice nothing is being mentioned of the behaviour of senior officers at parties in the officers mess .. now, that's one thing that NEVER reaches the news, does it?? .. :rolleyes:

These flyboys have obviously only just realised what MASSIVE EXPOSURE and INFAMY means .. and the reach, of that all-encompassing charge .."conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline .." :p

If these blokes get seriously penalised for this minor infringement .. God help us for some of the stunts, we pulled as young men in the military .. we would still be in jail.

Hopefully, the entire episode will die a natural death, because of the efforts of some understanding officers, who can cut some slack .. and under the weight of other overwhelming news, such as American Presidential elections, hostages in Iraq, Govt Ministerial indiscretions, etc, etc ..... :hmm:

Milt
3rd Nov 2004, 03:52
As John Laws says

"They were on anti-terrorist patrol and only looking for BOOBY traps"

Give them medals.

Reefdog
3rd Nov 2004, 04:28
IF THESE BLOKES HAD OF HELD A SIGN SAYING SHARK OFF THE BEACH THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN HEROS AND THE PRESS WOULD HAVE LABELLED THEM AS SO..... THE TOP BRASS OF THE FORCES WOULD HAVE PUFFED OUT THEIR CHESTS AND SAID " THATS OUR BOYS AND THATS WHAT WE TRAIN THEM FOR ETC,ETC."

WHAT A BLOODY JOKE..JUST SHOWS THAT THE SENSE OF FUN AND COMRADESHIP IN OZ HAS GONE DOWN THE SH.T CHUTE...

AND EVEN ON THIS FORUM THE SENSE OF COMRADESHIP AS GONE.

IS THERE ANY FUN TO BE HAD ANYMORE..OR IS IT JUST ALL BORING BULLSH.T.

THE MEDIA IS ALWAYS TRYING TO CUT OUR THROATS AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.. SO WHY ARE SOME OF YOU DOING IT TO YOUR FELLOW AIR JOCKS..

WHY DONT WE GET THE NAMES OF THE TOP BRASS OF THE OZ ARM FORCES WHO ARE DEALING WITH THIS AND AS CIVILIANS, EXPRESS OUR THOUGHTS OF THE HARD DISCIPLINE THESE AIRCREW HAVE/WILL GET

CAN ANYBODY GET THE NAMES AND RANK OF THE ABOVE????

I THROW IT OVER TO THE FORUM..
WHAT DO U RECKON????????????????????????

THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS WOULD BE GOOD AS WELL

AS AN OLD SQUADRON LEADER IN NAM USED TO SAY TO HIS AIRCREW IF THEY DID SOMETHING WRONG

"LADS WE HAVE SINNED"

John Abersynth
3rd Nov 2004, 05:12
Rotaryman

quote:

"Who the F..k cares?

Mmmmm! I'd say they do, don't you.

Sign Maker
3rd Nov 2004, 06:33
Check out this picture ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Heliport/titssign.jpg

Does that sign look familiar???

Phoenix Rising
3rd Nov 2004, 06:49
Acting Director of Defence PR in Canberra.

[email protected]

speed2height
3rd Nov 2004, 07:35
Having once lead that detachment of hueys to the Indy (1995 I think) It reinforced my opinion that the best you can do at a public display is to not screw up.

What I mean is if you lead a detachment or take an aircraft and fight bushfires or floods, you will be applauded for your efforts.

However, lead a detachment or take an aircraft to a public display and you are expected to show both exceptional skill and integrity. To not do so is a failure... There is never a job well done here just the opportunity to fail. An opportunity firmly grasped by that captain and his crew.

Yeah I have seen things like this in tha past, this one just lacked common sense.

reallyoldfart
3rd Nov 2004, 08:26
There has to be a bottom line to all of this.

Were the guys involved so braindead to think that such a stupid ill thought out stunt could go unnoticed at a venue such as Indy??????

For poor old WINCHOP - Keep digging that hole for yourself and you will surely disappear. Who was holding up the sign??? By careful examination of the photograph I think it might have been the loadmaster!!! Are you so naive as to believe that handles on this sight reflect the true attributes of the writers??? Do you really think that "Hugh Jarse" is a person with a huge arse??(appologies to Hugh) or "reallyoldfart" is someone really old. You need a reality dose old mate.

If you look hard enough on the net you might find a site for bitter and twisted loadmasters to bleat out their incorrect and mis-informed information amongst themselves.

Keep digging:D :D :D

airborne_artist
3rd Nov 2004, 08:41
And even if the lovely ladies had done as asked, the good aircrew would have seen no more than you see every sunny day on most European beaches. (I've no experience of Aussie ones, to my shame).

What is the big deal - are we training guys to fight the enemy or work a school crossing patrol?

Sign Police
3rd Nov 2004, 11:34
did anyoune see picture sign maker just put up....looks like theres more of those babys flyin around......and whats the army on about, manners were also used on the sign the loady had id say......:p

Cornholio
3rd Nov 2004, 11:47
enema's only "grunt" would be mainly upon insertion of his bottle of warm soapy water into his access hole.

Or were you this kind of grunt:

Gov't
Reject
Unfit for
Normal
Training.

Nice try......... :rolleyes:

Maybe, with a name like Enema Boy, if you'd said the Navy it might've been believable.

:hmm:

:zzz:

Binoculars
3rd Nov 2004, 12:33
*sigh*

Where have I heard Cornholio's prose style before? You can ban 'em but you can't shut 'em up. :yuk:

Welcome back, Dick Head

Cornholio
3rd Nov 2004, 12:41
Beanoss maybe you should disappear again from PPRUNE to search your inner child once more. The last time you made a public cry for help doesn't seem to have helped much. You sound like a very negative and miserable punter, the way you dish-out personal abuse.

Someone you don't like so you instantly hook in with vicious barbs. What a brave lad. Not.

I notice a few people commenting on your slightly twisted nature towards other people.

Have you considered seeking therapy, old Bean????

:rolleyes:

yawn.........

Binoculars
3rd Nov 2004, 12:46
Picked you in one, eh, Cornhole? ;)

Uncommon Sense
3rd Nov 2004, 12:47
Let me be the first to say Goodbye Cornholio.

Man, is it school holidays again so soon Woomera?

Cornholio
3rd Nov 2004, 12:51
Yes, you did, and I can see now you're razor-sharp. I feel so naked, Beanoss has seen right through me. No hiding anything from Beanoss, folks, his powers of observation and deduction are mind-blowing... Whatever will I do now????

Anyway back to the thread if Beanoss doesn't mind.

If it's such a big show, why not send a S70 or the new Aussie Tiger, if it's in town yet? Why a clapped-out Huey??????

international hog driver
3rd Nov 2004, 13:14
I’m sad to say this but I am glad that I don’t live in Oz sometimes.

It appears that the whole place has become a giant nandy pandy, tree hugging, PC, BS, NIMBY place I’m starting to feel sorry for you.

Although I really miss knocking back a few coldies with the fellas on a hot summers afternoon, shooting the breeze telling the difference between a pilot tale and a fairy tale some people are making the place into barbie’s palace. (Pink, Plastic & Crap)

What’s the world coming too, I thought the heat in the middle east had an effect on peoples brains, but the politically correct elete down in Oz must be suffering something else, let me see……

One of the most balanced and progressive economy’s….. no that’s not it.
Good food/drink/housing errrrr Lifestyle…. Nah that’s not it.
Open government…… nup
Safe, clean environment…… nah couldn’t be.

Well I dunno but some of you seam to have your priorities a bit backward, creating a hissy fit suitable of a two year old makes us look dumb to the rest of the world.

OZ is so isolated from the rest of the BS on this planet is not funny, while half the plant is struggling to even provide food or water for is people the other are looking over their shoulder for the next fella trying to bomb them back to the stoneage, or drive a plane into a building.

Wake up and smell the rose’s……

A crew engaged in some harmless fun, whose other job is to give you the freedom to sleep easy at night make the news….. BIG DEAL.

It’s like the Aussie “Human Shields” that went to Iraq, they lasted two day when they discovered that they could not get water or electricity, let alone a decent meal, and they came home RFQ when they discovered it was DANGEROUS……
Hello…what did you think the job description for HUMAN SHIELD is.

So for all of those who have got your panty’s in a bunch. Wake up and smell the roses, your complaining about the things that make Australia, AUSTRALIA.
If you don’t like it go to England or some parts of the US where now they put up warning signs, warning that there are more warning signs.

To the crew, I know it was fun at the time and when you move off to the civi world at least you’ll get a few rounds bought by the guys who never had the intestinal fortitude to have done it themselves.

To let you know its not all that bad, I had an er in judgment a few years back, pulled off a spectacular arrival for the fellas. At the time there was not a problem but after some one who did not have the ability to do what was witnessed had a sense of humour failure. I lost my job, no big deal we always go onto bigger and better thing, and as a matter of fact it has got me further being known for something than not being known at all.

Politically INcorrect and proud of it.
:ok: :E

Binoculars
3rd Nov 2004, 13:32
Whatever will I do now????

Well, a really good start would be to go away. Don't go away angry or disappointed; just go away. OK? Not that it will affect me one way or the other since you are now going back on my extremely small IGNORE list. You should be proud to have achieved the level of stupidity required for that distinction. If you really are an airline pilot, we should all be very afraid.

If honourable Ppruners would like to decide who has the psychological problem here, do a search for all posts by air-hag. You'll find it most illuminating, but you'll probably be, as I was, bored stupid by the end of page two.

Goodbye, Dick Head.

Heliport
3rd Nov 2004, 14:43
Well guys, we certainly hit the headlines!

Flashing sign gets army rebuke
Melbourne Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11265187%255E1702,00.html)

Army’s lewd flight of fancy
The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11271612%255E421,00.html)

Rude sign brings down chopper crew
The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Rude-sign-brings-down-chopper-crew/2004/11/02/1099362144540.html?oneclick=true)

Crew forgets terrorists in lewd flight of fancy
News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11269316%255E3102,00.html)

Army rebukes chopper crew for sexy sign
National Nine News (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=9164)

Army chopper crew stood down over Indy lark
ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1233231.htm)

The story was also carried by the China Post and some American papers, but they referred only to 'an internet site', not to us by name. :(

Av8r
3rd Nov 2004, 18:56
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worst...someone also trying to cash in!

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11281427%5E1702,00.html

:{

High Nr
3rd Nov 2004, 20:07
THE Australian Army's Iroquois helicopters are officially our most offensive weapons.

Thought they were media writers and politicians??

[Not Journalists, and with a small "p"]

Disguise Delimit
3rd Nov 2004, 20:49
After the Indy debacle, the Army's flypast of a Huey towing a banner at the Melbourne Cup was cancelled.

The flagmaker is complaining that he didn't get paid for the flag:

"Who else is going to buy a 20m x 30m banner saying "WHAT A HORSE'S ARSE!"? he said.:8

Arm out the window
3rd Nov 2004, 21:16
Our local paper today had a cartoon captioned 'The Australian Air Force (sic) flushes out terrorists in Baghdad...', with a picture of a vaguely military style chopper flying along over minarets etc. with the loadmaster holding a sign saying 'SHOW US YOUR BAZOOKAS!"

The cartoonist should be stood down immediately; totally unacceptable behaviour...

Gotta love the quoting of anonymous bulletin boards in the national papers too...nothing like an authoritative source eh journos! If you want a quote to pad out your story, just look on the internet...heaps easier than actually trying to find out a few facts.

John Eacott
3rd Nov 2004, 22:25
Goodness, 16600+ hits already on the image on my site. Nice quiet topic, this :cool:

Phoenix Rising
3rd Nov 2004, 23:12
Heliport - I may have coped a caning over this but at least I got Pprune well known in OZ :} :}

SASless
4th Nov 2004, 00:20
Gee....what a tempest in a teapot!

Why is it....seeing that photo....weighing the evidence that pertains to the genius thought process that led to the event....do guys like Sousa and I seem to connect with the perpetrators?

I reckon it must be the strong 1-1 vibes the old Huey has....jumbles yer brains or something! That would be my defence....yesssir your Highness....temporary insanity brought on by repeated Counter-Coup noggin bashes by Bell. Why ever what was I thinking?

As a former Army Warrant Officer pilot....I applaud these lads for their exploit.....and as someone who has been used similar enlightened thinking.....can understand how that happens....the act was brilliant....the timing needs some improving it seems.

I suggest a suitable punishment should consist of taking that sign down to the beach and showing it to every fair damsel in view....ask her if she has been insulted by the sign....and offer up a direct personal apology to each and everyone that so indicates the need to be apologized to. Yessir...that would be a fitting punishment. :ok:

jumpuFOKKERjump
4th Nov 2004, 01:32
To: [email protected]

SHOW US YOUR TITS!

Erm, Signmaker. Since your inconsiderate posting of members of the ArgleBargle Race team showing an inappropriate (though reasonably polite) sign one has been sacked for appearing in public without his hat, and the others have been stood down pending investigation. You irresponsible person, I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

I understand the only reason anybody would attend this profoundly boring event is to peruse the local and imported udder displays and get plastered. The crews involved (ADF & ArgleBargle) deserve commendations for entering into the spirit of the event.

Cornhole banned yet?

Bushranger Bill
4th Nov 2004, 02:14
See the latest? A woman injured by flying debris caused by downwash at Indy has accused the sign crew. Unfortunately she couldn't recognise the difference between a green and brown Huey and a low vis grey Seahawk which was the actual perpertrator! I guess the squids are laughing it up while the Army takes the heat?

Bellthorpe
4th Nov 2004, 03:37
From my response to the online version of the Queensland Courier Mail: I must chuckle at the adjectives used in this article: sleazy, shocked, outraged.

The whole stunt was a hoot, and very refreshing in this dreary age of political correctness.

Well done, lads!

Sign Maker
4th Nov 2004, 05:13
Erm, Signmaker. Since your inconsiderate posting of members of the ArgleBargle Race team showing an inappropriate (though reasonably polite) sign one has been sacked for appearing in public without his hat, and the others have been stood down pending investigation. You irresponsible person, I hope you're ashamed of yourself.

Yes all of the race team has been stood down because one person did something wrong....

Shame shame shame.....

See the latest? A woman injured by flying debris caused by downwash at Indy has accused the sign crew. Unfortunately she couldn't recognise the difference between a green and brown Huey and a low vis grey Seahawk which was the actual perpertrator! I guess the squids are laughing it up while the Army takes the heat?

like you said.... the army is getting blamed for something they didnt do... and if the whole blow up and media coverage didnt happen over a little sign nothing would have been said about it.... she would of just forgot about it...

John Eacott
4th Nov 2004, 05:37
Re the listing from Heliport: News Ltd (Melbourne Age, etc) have even captioned the offending photo "Picture: Australian Associated Press".

Can't have it both ways, fellows ;) It's either us wicked PPRuNers, or it's the Mad Murdochs. One or t'other :rolleyes:

Ultralights
4th Nov 2004, 05:55
fly by at surfers, 295. the other side!

http://home.exetel.com.au/pamuva/Other%20stuff/webstuff/Project1.jpg

if you look closely, they got what they asked for! 2 little birds known as tits.

DualDriver
4th Nov 2004, 08:04
I think this whole thing has been blown COMPLETELY out of proportion...

So the guys buggered it up, SO WHAT? It's harmless fun, and like many before have said, they're only human.

If these guys' careers (pilots and loadmaster) are ruined, the ADF is gonna have to spend a SH1TLOAD of money to retrain more and probably loose some DAMN good crew. Rap the guys over the knuckles with a "BAD BOYS" in caps, and DROP IT.

Go Boys, GO!!!

reallyoldfart
4th Nov 2004, 08:54
To BUSHRANGER Bill
Those are pretty strong words old chum. Are you absolutely certain it was a Seahawk??

From what I saw at the race (yes I was there on the ground), the huey hovering and lowering a person on the hoist directly over the track on both days was an exercise in absolute stupidity, considering they were so close to a huge crowd of people on both sides of the track, and also hovering over a group of motorcycle stunt people trying to perform under a Huey downwash, not to mention the numerous tents and TV camermen being blown about. Consider the results if one of those loose bits of debris they were blowing about had re-circulated into the tail rotor, because they were low enough!!

Was the loadmaster doing his job and letting the pilots (who also aren't blind) know that they were causing a great nuisance to the people on the ground??????

To quote a previous input to this thread PISS POOR S.A.!!!!

:\ :\ :\

Sign Police
4th Nov 2004, 09:06
NEWS at hand.... The "show us your tits " team has been stood down for "flying" too low in the mens room.
Punishment.....only wear pants with cords and no fly for 6 months......:ok:

Army's lewd flight of fantasy
By Luke McIlveen
November 3, 2004

THE Australian Army's Iroquois helicopters are officially our most offensive weapons – but it has nothing to do with their ability to wage war.

Spectators at the Gold Coast Indy two weeks ago were shocked when one of the choppers roared past with a sign ordering onlookers to "show us your tits".

They were supposed to be looking out for terrorists, but the only targets the chopper's four crewmen were interested in wore bikinis.

Now the soldiers behind the sleazy prank have been stood down pending an investigation into the October 23 incident.

The crew of the Iroquois chopper was patrolling tens of thousands of onlookers who had crammed the streets and high-rise apartments surrounding the racetrack.

They had flown from the army base at Oakey, near Toowoomba.

Their moment of madness was captured by an outraged onlooker, who snapped a picture of the offending sign and put it on the Internet.

"An army Iroquois helicopter displayed an inappropriate sign at the Gold Coast Grand Prix on October 23," a spokeswoman for the Department of Defence said yesterday.

"This type of behaviour is totally unacceptable and will not be condoned by the Australian Army.

"An investigation is under way and the crew has been stood down from flying duties."

The picture of the offending chopper was placed on the website of the Professional Pilots Rumour Network, attracting messages of approval from many flying enthusiasts.

"Onya boys!!!!" wrote one supporter.

The chopper at the centre of the controversy – the Iroquois A2-295 – has previously served Australia with distinction in Bougainville.

The Courier-Mail

Hate to tell you bro, but the person who took the photo was far from "outraged" as you suggested. I happen to know who it was that took the pic and he was more out and out raging with laughter.....DON'T go filling your column with bull**** to make your story look better. I also happen to know the website which the picture originated a couple of days after the race, but that is not for you to know little man:sad:

Bushranger Bill
4th Nov 2004, 09:26
No really old fart - You're right............ it could have been the Sea King. From what I hear both were causing quite a lot of damage and mayhem with their version of a display. If they had some spine they would own up in order to take the heat off the sign crew who no doubt will be in enough sh1t of their own making. Of course there will never be any official fess up since they all play for the same team...... but team mates look after each other - don't they? From what I have seen and heard about the Huey hover for the winch it was quite well and safely conducted and didn't cause any damage or concern at all.

I take it from your attitude you might be a squid yourself? If so you're probably just jealous because someone else is getting all the attention even though it is negative! I'm sure the Army boys would appreciate a little support or a kind gesture right now.
:confused:

The Riddler
4th Nov 2004, 10:17
Nicely positoned skid there!

Giovanni Cento Nove
4th Nov 2004, 11:27
And so, she did!!

295 B side.

http://home.exetel.com.au/pamuva/Other%20stuff/webstuff/Project1.jpg

Sign Police
4th Nov 2004, 14:57
the pic dont do it justice.....the skid was miles above the light....just look at the difference in focus....:suspect:

haha, that pic is cool......there were plenty more boobs out than hers, which were not as a result of the chopper, so please dont make a story out of that

SASless
4th Nov 2004, 15:04
Jumpu...

I sent my thoughts to the e-mail adddy you provided....

Suggested an oral admonishment would adequately address the situation.....then a pint of beer all around.

Flying Lawyer
4th Nov 2004, 15:56
Good thing someone posted that picture.

Now we can see for ourselves just how angry, outraged and disgusted the public were. :rolleyes:

Auscan
4th Nov 2004, 16:07
Typical media beat up. Anything to sell a paper eh boys. Pack your bags for Iraq and you will come home hero's, but as soon as you have a bit of harmless fun its time to hang, draw and quater. Im proud to see 99% of the industry boys standing behind these guys.
I am sorry to see these guys suffer proffesionally for a harmless bit of fun.

whywouldyou
5th Nov 2004, 02:42
Some have said they agree... Some have said they dont...

Morally... Ethically... Bad Taste... All In Good Fun...

What if the banner was flaying from another kind of Chooper...

Lets say the "WESTPAC Emergency Helicopter ANGEL 1" did the same thing...

They wouldn't... they just wouldn't... and WHY wouldnt they?
For the same reason the Army shouldnt have done it...

Its one of those things...
"I was only thinking about saying it but you actually went out and said it, out loud!"

We all might think of it, but would you actually do it in front of thousands of people with the digital imageing age upon us...

If it were a LINSAY FOX truck
A Woolworths Delivery Truck
A Shell Fuel Delivery Truck
A Jetstar / Quantas Plane
Ronald McDonald
PIZZA HUT
A Race Car on the Track covered in Sponsorship
A Telstra Van
A Coca Cola Truck
A Fire Truck
An SES Truck
A Cop Car (POL-AIR) even
An Ambulance (WESTPAC)

What is the equivillant,

If YOU in your company car, your big glassey window filled sky scraper building, dressed in a work logo uniform with your "SHOW US YOUR T!TS" poster did the same thing again in front of thousands of people with digital imagery, in this politicaly correct world of media sensationalising...

I wonder would you be stood down, or fired on the spot, or even sued for defamation, how would your boss and his corperate image handle it.

Its OK for the Annonomus (drunken or otherwise breast deprived or breast connoisseur come enthusiast) Joe on the street to ask the question of the ladies... but really and I mean REALLY....

In this day and age your responsible and your accountable for your own actions so now you Army fly boys... You had your fun, got a good laugh out of it and blew off some steam, now face your punishment and take it like a man!

whywouldyou

Thats my 10cents worth minus account keeping fees associated charges and GST ...it equals my 2 cents worth...

Bellthorpe
5th Nov 2004, 03:39
Well, whywouldyou, if it were my crew, in my helicopter, displaying my company's logo, and I saw it on the TV coverage, I would throw a slab of Grolsch in the freezer to greet them with on their return to the hangar.

Again I say: 'well done, lads". Another blow against the dark forces of political correctness.

Tibbsy
8th Nov 2004, 10:20
Thankyou for your enlightening and insightful comments whywouldyou.

I will defend your right to sound off until I die, but I think you should consider using a spell-checker next time as I can't really take you seriously when you talk about flying 'choopers' and 'Quantas' planes.

Yours in anneminity:uhoh: , annominoty:oh: , annernimity:{ ,

Oh bugger it!

Show us your t:mad:ts!

;)

Harry The Mad Black
8th Nov 2004, 19:28
Oh Dear, 'Why Would you', indeed. Sweetheart, I have spoken to many, many people re this subject over the past week, men, women and teenaged children, and the overwhelming response has been "SO What". The 40-60 something women I know aren't offended or even slightly upset. They think oh you naughty boys.

I have deliberately resisted the temptation to comment until YOU got onto your soapbox and started to tell us how we should think, act and behave. You need to get your head out of your copy of The Female Unuch and accept that on occasion boys will be boys. Don't try to analyse their actions or their intent, just accept that they did it. They will answer for their actions without you and your ilk calling for blood.

Oh and while I'm at it ON YA BOYZ

Av8r
9th Nov 2004, 01:02
Ok Harry, lets assume for a minute that carrying and displaying that sign is acceptable behavior. All military aircraft can ‘display at will’? Maybe Customs aircraft can have it permanently sign written on?
If, in your opinion, that’s acceptable behavior by Government employees in Government owned aircraft, what sign or behavior would need to be displayed that you thought might be crossing the line?

Sign Police
9th Nov 2004, 04:37
I guess the reason customs dont do it are the same reasons people walking through customs dont do it.....
If you werent there on the day, or have never been to indy on the gold coast you will not understand one of the main reasons a lot of spectators go.
The ARMY boys were as stated earlier "blowing off steam" and playing along with the majority...

BTW if it were my company chopper with sponsorship or my company name on it, think of all the free advertising i would have got....it would be priceless.

Harry The Mad Black
9th Nov 2004, 09:27
No av8r it is not what I would call acceptable. They were just caught up in the moment, I suppose, and made a bad call. Kick their arses (not crucify them) and we should all just get over it. In order to speed this process, I will no longer visit this thread in order to avoid the temptation to respond to those calling for blood and prolonging the agony for the lads.

I reckon that you won't find them skiting about this at work. :hmm:

Cornholio
9th Nov 2004, 10:14
Hi Beanoss... Sorry to wind you up but I just can't help it. It's so much fun to push your little buttons. I know I shouldn't, what with your fragile and precarious "state" so I will try to refrain.

But do try to remember that "recently my posts have become bitter and twisted, almost completely lacking the humour I think I used to have and all too often attacking the man instead of the ball. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135567)"

Meanwhile, now that Beanoss' feathers are smooth again, I think it's perfectly obvious that it was the Huey pilots' fault. Mere good luck is not enough to ensure the load-monster could be trusted to hold the sign the RIGHT WAY UP.

And a loadie wouldn't have been do refined ("Show us your tits).

It would've been more like,

"Show us ya mappatazzy, ya ****s"

As for the winch bit, I heard things blew around a little. So what?

If the slugs on the ground didn't like it they should've been in the Huey. Not a pilot? Tuff Luck. You shoulda thought about it earlier on in life then, shouldn't you?

Two Kinds of people:

Pilots and
The rest on the ground bitching about the Huey downwash.

(actually there's a third... the whining, confused sort, but at least he's trying to help himself!! :ok:

:eek:

sagy34
17th Nov 2004, 13:40
reallyoldfart,

you remind me of a former co of the saa, a loadmaster hater!!!!

you w:mad: ker

reallyoldfart
18th Nov 2004, 01:13
sagy34,

now that you have identified yourself as a loadmaster, why don't you email poor old winchop and between the two of you, you should be able to find a loadmaster site somewhere in the bowels of the internet where you can bitch and complain, and spread unfounded accusations and rumours amongst yourselves. As I said to winchop, this is after all a pilot's forum. If you want to see a real W:mad: ker, I'm sure you must have a mirror somewhere.:) :)

carlwitt
1st Dec 2004, 10:27
This may be a bit of a late reply but I was the one who took the photos, that were on the news, below is a full sequence that I took. I took the photo and put it in the funny section of a car site, a week later I saw it on a news update?!? Have no clue how that happened, or how they got on here?

http://www.dragmania.com.au/e107_files/images/indychopper1.jpg
http://www.dragmania.com.au/e107_files/images/indychopper2.jpg
http://www.dragmania.com.au/e107_files/images/indychopper3.jpg

I have originals at a larger resolution at [email protected] (mailto:[email protected])

By the way I took it from the 12th floor of the Gold Coast International

Tibbsy
6th Sep 2005, 13:41
Just heard from a little cammo mate of mine in Brisbane that the military trials of the aircrew involved in the "Show us your tits" sign at Indy are still going.

Apparently the crewies ended up with a reprimand and a few days loss of pay. The drivers still haven't heard the end of it though. They're up before a military judge in a couple of months time....

Nothing like swift military justice hey?:ouch:

Anyone know if they're coming to Indy again this year? I'd like to buy them a drink. Betcha none of the boggies will be going though, probably the just boss and his wife "to make sure it doesn't happen again you understand boys. I really do trust you all though":yuk: See you in the hospitality tent I'm sure.

5 years time and they'll be able to smile about it again :ok:

PS: I noticed Luke McIllween (the Courier Mail f:mad: wit journo) got carved up by the ABCs Media Watch program the other night. He was the rather ill-infomed pr:mad: k that vamped up the whole Indy story beyond all reasonable proportions in the print media. Now he can add the attempted suicide of the leader of the NSW opposition party to his CV. His father must be so proud of him.....

:eek:

SASless
6th Sep 2005, 14:08
Anyone have the e-mail address of the Officer that can order the court or decide to terminate the matter without a court? How about the Minister of Defense or whatever?

I would be glad to send him my thoughts on the matter.....and suggest he call the boys in ....give them a severe oral reprimand....and buy them a pint. The crewies out to be given the same punishment and their money back.

So much for the Australian sense of humour I have heard so much about!:{

Flying Lawyer
6th Sep 2005, 21:26
Amazing that this is still dragging on after 10 months.

"They're up before a military judge in a couple of months time...."

A Court Martial??

What a big fuss about very little. :rolleyes:

eagle 86
6th Sep 2005, 22:35
For those of you from foreign lands - Australia is rapidly becoming the most PC country in the Western world - this trend is being driven by a very small group of seemingly over educated, under employed members of the Greens, the left of the Labor party, those perennial pains in the arse - the Democrats and other minorities with nothing better to do than try and mould the country to fit their stuffed view of how the world should be. Freedom of speech is virtually dead unless you want to take the piss out of the Yanks/Poms or the few Oz Liberal party politicians still with a relatively sane view on life (I think in some quarters the Jews, Irish and Polish are still fair game). Rest assured if you think Australia is still the laid-back, she'll be right mate country it was 30 years ago, then you are well wrong - we are even being beaten by the Poms at cricket!!
GAGS
E86

imabell
7th Sep 2005, 04:44
john howard, the little dictator.

:yuk: :yuk:

overpitched
7th Sep 2005, 05:13
I'm not sure a lot of the PC crap is driven by Little Johny. Maybe the greens and the lefts and the pinkos and lezzos but mainly supported and sensationalised by the media. It seems in this country today we are so busy trying not to step on anyones toes that we are standing all over our own.

You can't wear a hat in an RSL club but you can wear a turban ??? What the fook is that ??? If you come to this country illegally and get detained and a fortunate enough to get residency then you can sue the govt. with the help of legal aid for your pain and suffering ??? get the f*** out of here. Call your political opponents scumbags and pukes but say their wife is a mail order bride and you can quit your job and try to kill yourself.

Words like offended and outraged and shocked and horrified would have to be the most overused and abused language in the media today.

diginagain
7th Sep 2005, 05:51
As a former BritMil pilot who's done similar - and who hasn't? (4-ship doors-open flybys along German nudist beaches, 6 time a day for a fortnight - it paled after a while but the troops enjoyed the show), my sympathies are with the crew. Sadly, as we have seen, the Internet we've come to know and love sometimes bites back.

If anyone on the receiving end of the gesture had complained, I'd have been surprised, given the nature of the audience. A boot up the back-side/quiet word/slab should have sufficed. What disappoints me most is that someone up the chain-of-command lacked the cahonas to stop this before it got out of hand.

A large part of my life was spent ensuring that we maintained the rights of democracy - including the freedom to speak one's mind, so long as one had the strength of character and the courage to defend one's actions.

As one Billy Connolly succinctly put it "Political correctness is the language of cowardice".

Sign Police
21st Sep 2005, 07:53
I wonder if the sign maker will be on the gold coast again this year...:ok:

Sign Maker
21st Sep 2005, 11:36
You can guarantee the signmaker will be there my friends…. I will make some extras for the boys to take up with them again this year….

Maybe not… but if the huey boys are reading this… We’ll see you there this year boys… in the same place…. Just drop in for a handshake a chat and a few frosty beverages… (one must give credit where credit is due)

Anyway… Hope to see you’s there…..

Mandy Mammatus
9th Oct 2005, 07:59
I hear the fellas raised a huge amount for charity last year.

Any chance of a mass uprising in the crowd this year?

How about signs held up to the aircraft like 'Show us your Huey' and 'Show us your Ships'.

Oh, and 'Please!'

Anyone got a good idea for a sign from the crowd to the Huey this year?

I'll be there with all my friends complying with last year's request.

SASless
9th Oct 2005, 08:04
I think the Huey crews should display a very large sign this year....

Don't Show Us Yer Tits! :E

If some braindead gits got upset over being asked to show them....how could they possibly be upset over being asked to show proper conduct?;)

Has anyone started a fund to compensate the Huey Crew for any lost wages and legal costs that have/might result from their youthful exhuberance?

hescott
9th Oct 2005, 18:26
"Two Kinds of people:

Pilots and
The rest on the ground bitching about the Huey downwash. "

Actually there are THREE kinds of people in this world.......

Those who can count,

And those who can't..........

Whirlygig
9th Oct 2005, 18:38
I think you'll find there are 10 types of people -

Those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Cheers

Whirls

SASless
9th Oct 2005, 21:02
Whirls.....easy there Lady!

You will have the lads with their shoes and socks off trying to count out what you are telling them!

chopperpug
9th Oct 2005, 23:18
So I shouldn't start with the Hexadecimal or imaginary numbers then??? :8 good thing too.... I think i was drinking too much beer at that time in my Uni days.

Sign Police
10th Oct 2005, 09:50
Id say there will be plenty of boobs out again this year......boobs are good....some may look bad, but most are darn good..

GO INDY BAZOOKAS

OVERTALK
10th Oct 2005, 16:04
I recall that the pilot who did an immaculate meat and two veg (C & B's) over Perth many years ago in an azure blue cloudless sky at FL410 got off the hook because the hierarchy was too busy covering up for the media ("he was under positive radar control" / "evil is in the eye of the beholder" etc etc). They really cocked that one up....

The appendage was still easily identifiable as it slowly drifted off over the horizon to the East many hours later. Right at noon (lunch-hour) so the public streamed into the streets and many collisions occurred on the Narrows and Causeway bridges.

But the IP wasn't allowed to appear before the TV cameras. The hierarchy "dummied" with the (well-briefed) student. He gained instant fame by explaining to the female interviewer with a very straight face that "they'd been air-testing a vibrator". She broke up but he didn't. What self-control. But if he had, no doubt it would have gone hard for him.

They couldn't hang him for saying that..... as it was true.....

Heard over the ether at the time from an anxious senior supervisor: "Give it a few frills"

Reply: "I'm giving 'em all a few frills"

Sign Police
12th Oct 2005, 15:28
i think that was a gay reply:8

Tibbsy
30th Oct 2005, 09:35
Well, I was there but the Australian Army was consipicous by their absence....

Missed you this year boys! :{

Tibbsy
18th Dec 2005, 11:08
Camo Boy sent me the following results:

2 loadmasters found guilty of prejudicial behaviour, seven days loss of pay and a reprimand.

One aircraft captain: Not guilty of prejudicial behaviour. Guilty of disobeying a lawful order by not informing his authorising officer of the incident. Seven days loss of pay, reprimand. No longer in a flying job.

One co-pilot. Referred to a restricted court martial in Feb 06.

SASless
18th Dec 2005, 12:33
Gee,

Nothing like serving in an Army with espirit de corps, what?

Something that should have been handled by the crews involved giving the Boss Fella a stern listening to behind closed doors gets to this stage.

I don't guess a leaflet drop next year with the photograph of the Huey and sign would be on then, huh?

Tibbsy
7th Feb 2006, 10:01
Camo Boy tells me the co-pilot was found not guilty a couple of weeks ago. :ok:

Don't know any more details but blimey it took a while eh? No wonder the gummint said that the military justice system was cactus.

Heliport
8th Feb 2006, 09:51
An Oz friend confirms that the co-pilot was found not guilty at a Court Martial last week - almost 16 months after the incident at the October 2004 Indy races.

So, in summary -

Highly trained crew stood down immediately after the incident.

2 Loadmasters:
Found guilty of prejudicial behaviour, 7 days loss of pay and a reprimand

Captain:
Not guilty of prejudicial behaviour.
Guilty of disobeying a lawful order by not informing his authorising officer of the incident.
Seven days loss of pay, reprimand.
No longer in a flying job.

Co-pilot:
Court martial. Found Not Guilty.

Australia's Herald-Sun report at the time:

Flashing sign gets army rebuke

An army chopper crew has been stood down after a crewman issued a very public invitation for women to "show us your tits" at the recent Indy 300 car race on the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately for the crew of Iroquois helicopter No 295, an onlooker in a high-rise flat snapped a photo of the sign displayed by a crewman as the chopper flew along the beachfront on October 23.

The image ended up on the website of the Professional Pilots Rumour Network.

The photo attracted a variety of mostly approving comments on the website's forum, including "Onya boys!!!!" "and "Now how about the shots taken from the helicopter please?"
“….. in this climate of political correctness, hope no plonkers get hold of it and try to hang anyone," wrote another.

A spokesman for the Australian Defence Force said it was aware of the incident and did not approve. "This type of behaviour is totally unacceptable and will not be condoned by the Australian Army," the spokesman said. "An investigation is under way and the crew of the aircraft have been stood down while the investigation is under way."
The spokesman said the crew was stood down as soon as the army became aware of the incident in the past week.

Photographs showing members of the public being offended by the sign ......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Indy.jpg

gadgetguru
8th Feb 2006, 10:20
For those of you not famililar with Australian Military Law;
Prejudical Behavious is charge for which there is no defence...& of course in the green machine you were always guilty until you could prove your innocence (yeah good luck with that)
most times if you were placed on a charge you were there for reason, but I saw many good operators who got more than what their punishment required...

Anyway - when they can't get you for anything else, they use that...

If here are any other charges but they really want to get the maximum penalty issued,
they always throw that one on as well to put the icing on the cake...

Personally I never did have to front the man on the mat myself... but did my share of prisoner escorts to the Military Corrective Establishment, what a cesspool of pricks that place was, (& they were the guys running it!)

I was always glad to get out the compund gate there & I was only makeing 'defaulter' deliveries...
call me the Road Runner (never been caught - meep meep!)

SASless
8th Feb 2006, 12:58
It seem to me...some folks down there cannot read....the sign said "Show us your Tits!" ....not "Show Your Ass!" The Army sure did that by their actions after the event.

Heliport....you got any more evidence of the crime...I could be swayed maybe if I saw all the evidence?