PDA

View Full Version : Over 35's

Paterbrat
31st Oct 2004, 19:04
Had this forwarded to me by at least two friends recently so thought I would share it here.

Some of you are under 35 but those of us that are older will enjoy the moments we had that you all missed------

Subject: Over 35

People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why .

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived
Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.) As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors! We ate cakes, bread and butter, and drank cold drinks with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day! NO CELL PHONES!!!!! Unthinkable!
We did not have Play stations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on DSTV, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends! We went outside and found them.We played Red Rover, and sometimes, the tackles would really hurt.
We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents? We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a standard and were held back to repeat at the same standard. Horrors!
Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
And if you're one of them! Congratulations!
Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated ourlives, for our own good !!!!!
People under 30 don't know what they missed, probably don't care, but then neither do we, we know how we feel about it.

Jerricho
31st Oct 2004, 19:17
Oh timmcat, you out there?

ElectroVlasic
31st Oct 2004, 19:48
PB, if I follow what you are saying, it's us who invented Playstation, cell phones, etc! So I guess Red Rover isn't that fun after all!

timmcat
31st Oct 2004, 19:52
OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(actually, a lot of that rings true...)

maxman
31st Oct 2004, 20:12
Go karts downhill, no brakes. Why is the 2 inch scar on my hand itching:ok:
We also know the higher meaning of "wax on, wax off":8

Jerricho
31st Oct 2004, 20:32
And what a babe Molly Ringwald was/is ;)

chiglet
31st Oct 2004, 21:13
Don't forget, if we dropped sweets [candy] on the floor, we just brushed off some dirt, and popped it back in our mouth. Yes, we actually played "competitive" games, and enjoyed them :ok:
watp[wrd,c]iktch

tobzalp
31st Oct 2004, 21:18
There was no internet. No Internet I tell you.

aged
31st Oct 2004, 21:48
It's a cracker.
All very true.
I wish some of the "pc" twats in local councils would read it and advise which bits they disagree with before they cut down another conker tree

Metro man
1st Nov 2004, 02:06
Ronald Regan was once challenged by a university student who said it was impossible for Reagan's generation to understand his as Reagan grew up in a different world. "Today we have television ,jet planes ,space travel ,nuclear energy ,computers......"

Reagan replied "Your right we didn't have those things when we were young , we invented them "

wheels up
1st Nov 2004, 06:47
AGED you B$st$rd

COUGH, COUGH, SPLUTTER

You said the (COUGH, WHEEZE, SPLUTTER) C word and triggered my (COUGH, COUGH) peanut allergy.

LAWYER

I NEED A (COUGH, SPLUTTER) LAWYER PLEEEEASEEE

DirtyPierre
1st Nov 2004, 09:53
But those of us over 35 (indeed a baby boomer myself) are responsible for the kids of today and most of the rules as well. So where did we go wrong?

Dop
1st Nov 2004, 10:13
Jerricho: Ally Sheedy was FAR more of a babe than Molly Ringwald.

Although all right thinking people think she was far sexier in The Breakfast Club before she gets the makeover.

Paterbrat
1st Nov 2004, 10:20
Dirty Pierre I don't know about your kids but mine grew up following pretty much the same rules that I did, after all they were the only ones I knew to apply. Results seem OK to me.

However that said, I agree with the priciple of what you are saying, which is that parents are responsible for what is around today. With 11 year old single mums, or 15 and 16 year old sisters competing to have the first baby/council house/benefits etc etc, what is coming down the pike doesn't bear thinking about!!!:uhoh:

tall and tasty
1st Nov 2004, 10:52
Those were the days.....

Never looked back and did me no harm (I think)

Tnt

Gainesy
1st Nov 2004, 11:00
A friend's eight year old daughter recently asked me: "What was it like in the olden days?":uhoh:

neil armstrong
1st Nov 2004, 11:24
Took the daughter of a friend and 2 of her girlfriends to sixflags (by plane) and afterward one of the friends told me , YOUR PRETTY COOL FOR YOUR AGE !!!!!
aaaaaahhhhhhhh
Made her sick on the flight back:}

Neil

airship
1st Nov 2004, 11:35
People under 30 don't know what they missed, probably don't care, but then neither do we, we know how we feel about it... Yup, the under 30s definitely missed that wave. That once in a millenium wave which have allowed millions to surf through life with the same carefree childhood attitude. Some managed the cutbacks better than others. Few realised that they'd caught a reef break. That realisation is finally catching up with a vengeance... :O

The under 30s are the ones who will be picking up the pieces after all the fun... :}

Binoculars
1st Nov 2004, 11:36
Hmmphh. We had a group of pre-schoolers visit the tower the other day. Teacher asked if anybody had any questions. One four year old put her hand up, teacher leaned over for her to whisper in her ear, stood up and said, "No, sweetie, you don't have to sing for the old people today, that's tomorrow."

:{ I think it's time to retire. :{

But nostalgia threads are consistently the most popular individual subjects on JB. I wonder why, when we had no videos, dvd's computers, internet, mp3 players, ipods? Pardon? What do you mean that's probably why? :confused:

Jerricho
1st Nov 2004, 13:33
There, there Binos! You've reminded me of a song Blackcloud used to sing at the old Brisbane ACC "It's all right, doing approach when you're 50" (To the tune of Travelling Willbury's "It's all right").

Dop, sorry mate, gotta disagree with you there. But it's personal preference and all.

DoctorA300
1st Nov 2004, 23:02
Do you lot have ANY idea how much like a certain Monty Python sketch you sound like.
Brgds
Doc

Binoculars
2nd Nov 2004, 00:34
Yeah Doc, but they STILL don't believe us! :p

Blacksheep
2nd Nov 2004, 00:52
One of the things that kept me over here for so long is that PC has yet to invade Borneo. My kids grew up as I did and bear the scars to prove it. Its a great place to bring up children.

Those of them that survive that is... ;)

I did once hear one of Angie's friends say to her "Your Dad;s quite cool for an old geezer!" I took that as a compliment, but what's "an old geezer"?

Feeton Terrafirma
2nd Nov 2004, 02:59
I can relate to most of that stuff. Why dont kids like billy carts these days?

Jet Dragon
2nd Nov 2004, 03:19
I heard two of the younger generation last week in a book shop - one said "who the F... is Marc Bolan?"
:{ :{
'now where's me walking stick;)

Blacksheep
2nd Nov 2004, 04:47
So, are you going to tell us who Marc Bolan was or not? We must know about these things when our grandchildren ask.

Rollingthunder
2nd Nov 2004, 06:24
Founder, guitarist, and vocalist for the British rock band T.Rex.

Had to Google it - not my kind of music

Paterbrat
2nd Nov 2004, 10:06
Were they around Bobby Darin's time?

tony draper
2nd Nov 2004, 10:22
Drapes can remember Don Lang and his Frantic Five, ten points for anybody who can tell me what prog they were the resident band on without googling,.repeat without gooling!!!
:rolleyes:

Big Tudor
2nd Nov 2004, 10:30
Six-Five Special. No Google involved (although I will confess to a bit of gooling!). :ok:

Paterbrat
2nd Nov 2004, 10:30
About the time the Cisco Kid, Whirlybird and Sea Hunt were playing?

tony draper
2nd Nov 2004, 10:42
Correct BT, twas indeed the Six Five Special , one used to rush around ones paper round for the Six Five Special.
Can you remember what time it was on?
:cool:

VnV2178B
2nd Nov 2004, 12:02
Over the points,
Over the points,
Over the points,
Over the points,
Over the points,

repeat ad lib...

VnV

Vfrpilotpb
2nd Nov 2004, 13:33
I played with Conkers, and made giant Bonfires, mixed my own fireworks, which sometimes went Bang, or on other occasions and a slightly different mix would cause front doors to open. we raided orchards and shot rabbits and ducks (for the pot) caught big trout and salmon under the weir with home made harpoons, set snares for Foxes and drove farm tractors whilst collecting hay, we played knock and run, and if we could find any girls Kiss Catch, we played a very hurtful game called "Shins" how many of you did that? after dislocating my shoulder the local Doctor sorted it, within the hour, you wait a day to see a Doctor now.

Yet we are told we live in better times, I dont think so!

Vfr