PDA

View Full Version : Airport Staff Strike

rej
31st Oct 2004, 17:27
I know that the situation with Serviceair is apparently over BUT

having just returned from vacation leaving the UK via Gatwick North Terminal for the USA, I reckon that Serviceair are the worst check-in staff I have ever experienced. With their normal workrate you would think that they are on a permanemt GO-SLOW; their absence on strike would only improve matters.

The exact same check-in procedure, with the same luggage and emphasis on safety etc took a fraction of the time at an overseas airport but with much more polite staff.

COME ON MANAGEMENT, KICK SOME A** AND MAKE THEM DO THER JOB MORE EFFECIENTLY AND WITH A BIT OF ENTHUSIASM - oh sorry, bad idea, they might throw their teddies out of the cot and work even slower!

Tranceaddict
31st Oct 2004, 20:33
People might take you seriously if you could spell Servisair properly!!

tallseabird
31st Oct 2004, 21:56
I think that is a bit harsh, I'm not saying that they are good but it's a bit like going into McDonalds, some are better than others and even some staff in one restaurant are better than others.

I believe that Servisair at Manchester bring check-in staff in for a 3 hour shift, at their wages thats maybe £15 per shift - you would have to do 10 shifts to make even £150 per week - what motivation is that.

And other handling agents are pretty much the same, airlines switch between handling agents, haggling over price - where does that lead!

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, but I have to admit, we don't seem to do it well in the UK

TheOddOne
31st Oct 2004, 22:56
rej,
For your information, Servisair check-in staff weren't involved in the recent dispute at Gatwick. It was purely baggage & freight handling and pushback staff.

Personally, I've always found Servisair check-in staff very helpful, friendly and expeditious. Perhaps you caught one individual with an off-day (happens to the best of us!)

Cheers,
The Odd One

In trim
1st Nov 2004, 19:25
Tranceaddict,

I totally agree. The number of crew who go in and out of Servisair stations every day of their lives, see "Servisair" plastered on tugs, steps, paperwork, etc., and yet still can't spell it on their voyage reports..............

Says a lot about observation skills!

Don't all shout at me....just a pet hate!!!

tall and tasty
1st Nov 2004, 20:12
Actually I thought the dispute was due to miss handling of one of their collegues.

I worked on the ramp as a redcap not for Servisari but another hdl agent. The leaders work very very hard indeed on 8 and 12 hour shifts. Loading the narrow bodied is very hard work. The min they need is 3 and some load over 230 bags with just 2. Ok you may say that is what they wanted to do. But remember they do this in all weathers whether it is raining or over 100 degrees in the heat of the summer.

If they are out on remote stands they stay out there for the a least a couple of flights and then go on a break. You stand out there in wind rain sun etc and load unload bags.

I have helped on strikes and would never ever want to do their job. Load 3 planes I am talking B75/A321 not high loader flights they are not so back breaking, in a couple of hours and then multipy that by however many in peak season and you get the idea.

Checkin staff have lousy shift patterns have to put up with passengers pleasant or not and keep smiling.

So maybe it would take a little consideration for all those who work at the airport before anyone has a slight go at the staff.

Only my personal opinion too but I have worked in at check in and gates too.

Tnt

Daza
2nd Nov 2004, 10:14
My brother worked for Servisair at Birmingham for 2 years he eventually left as he had to eat and pay bills etc!! The travelling public dont realise just how low wages for airport handling staff are. Good luck to these staff people should be paid a decent wage. If you pay peanuts you do get monkeys!
Daza