PDA

View Full Version : Autoplay Mystery...

energiser
31st Oct 2004, 15:31
Ok, Here is the problem....

I am running XP SP2 on 2 sony laptop computers (both with inbuilt Memory Stick readers) and 1 Dell PC (with a USB MS reader).

Pre SP2 install - I could insert a Memory Stick (with photos on it) and XP would Autoplay, and helpfully bring up the 'import' wizard. This allowed me to copy all my photos to the HDD, whilst giving them useful names, and then delete them from the Memory Stick in one easy operation.

Post SP2 install - XP no longer Autoplays the MS when it is inserted. It now 'sees' the MS as a removable storage device, and will not Autoplay. I'm now having to copy all the photo files across manually, and then re-name them individually, then delete them from the Memory Stick. All of which takes 10 times longer! A right pain when I am dealing with around 100 photos a week :mad:

I have all the latest drivers, and have checked all the settings in 'properties', to no avail. Autoplay will not even run manually!I 'googled' the problem, and it appears that this is a very common 'recent' problem for both MS and CF card readers on almost all PCs. I even checked the MicroShaft 'knowledge (ha ha) base', and it did have a match from 2003, but did not deal with this problem.

As usual, MicroShaft are blaming everything else except their own software. Their limit of helpfulness was suggesting a 'clean' re-install of XP on all 3 computers! Yeah right! :mad:

The fact that it has happened on 3 separate PC's (not to mention thousands of others) which all have different set-ups and software installed did not concern them. Despite the fact that the only common thing between the 3 was XP SP2 install. Grrrrrr...

I'm livid about this, and wondered whether anyone else was 1. having the same trouble and 2. found a fix for it?

I remain yours, hopefully etc etc :)

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Oct 2004, 15:46
energiser,

Have you tried running the Scanner and Camera Wizard?

Take Care,

Richard

energiser
31st Oct 2004, 16:16
Hi Richard,

I have - but all it says is 'you do not have a scanner or camera attached to this computer' and then offers to run the 'new hardware' wizard. I even tried that in desperation, to no avail.

Methinks these MicroShaft wizards are not so wise :rolleyes:

Front_Seat_Dreamer
31st Oct 2004, 17:02
I know you said you checked properties etc...

But...

The only place I know of to do this is My Computer - right click the 'drive' and check that autoplay is set to prompt you each time or set the default option you want.

Alternatively you might want to try a (currently free) but of software at Picasa (www.picasa.com) which was recently purchased by google.

Once you have installed it there is a picture transfer wizard in it. I don't use it as the Xp one suits what I do.

FSD

BLUE SKY THINKER
31st Oct 2004, 17:19
energiser.....

GIVE THIS A WHIRL (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en)

Good luck.

BST

energiser
31st Oct 2004, 17:57
BST....YOU STAR!!! :D :D :D

How did I miss that? Doh! It did most of the job - although the MS does not autoplay, at least Autoplay has now appeared in the menu when I right click the drive.

Thanks so much - owe you a beer if we ever meet downroute ;)

FSD and Richard - thankyou as well :cool:

BLUE SKY THINKER
31st Oct 2004, 21:56
energiser.....

Jolly good!!!

Now that you have got Autoplay available on right-click, might it not be worth revisiting settings in Properties for possible full Autoplay?

Just a thought; may have had some effect.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Oct 2004, 23:54
energiser,

Glad to see BLUE SKY THINKER fixed your problem. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard