PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Canucks

bugg smasher
31st Oct 2004, 02:55
Have just had the extreme pleasure of watching a few episodes of a Canadian show on cable TV called Red Green, talk about a blast of fresh air from our brothers and sisters in the Great Frozen North. Hilarious, completely off the wall, a genuinely honest, bizarre, and funny take on life. Deadpan at its creative finest.

You guys donít do much other than drink Molson and shoot hapless ducks out of the sky eh, or so it seems, but when you set yer minds to something, amazing results.

Rollingthunder
31st Oct 2004, 03:05
Yup, Steve Smith is something of a genius.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Elliot Moose
31st Oct 2004, 13:03
Believe it or not there is a lot of great Canadian comedy out there (not all of it is entirely respectful of our American neighbours though). But of course Red Green is one of the most enduring. Nothing that can't be fixed with "the handyman's secret weapon--DUCT TAPE.:E

pigboat
31st Oct 2004, 14:20
My absolutely favourite guy is Edgar Montrose. For those who've never seen the show, he's a serious actor named Graham Greene who was nominated for an Oscar in Dances With Wolves. He plays an explosive expert who thinks there is nothing that can't be solved by using dynamite, and has gotten too close to too many of his own explosions.
On one of the "ask the experts" segments of one show, the question was from a just divorced man, what is the first thing he should do, now that he's newly divorced. Montrose's answer was to blow up the kitchen stove. The other panelists expressed amazement at this, but his explanation was, "If he don't get rid of the stove, pretty soon he'll try his hand at cooking. Therein lies madness." :D

Red Green (www.redgreen.com/).

Davaar
31st Oct 2004, 14:29
It was good long before it was the Red Green show; that was when it was "Smith and Smith". No one else remembers now, but the geriatric recall Mrs Smith too with respect and pleasure.

Jerricho
31st Oct 2004, 15:04
If anybody gets a chance to watch an other Canadian production "Corner Gas", I highly recommend it. It's set in a one street town in Alberta, but could be any small town anywhere in the world (Well, if they characters didn't all say "eh" all the time"

Bingo Bango Bongo
1st Nov 2004, 08:10
A Man's Prayer

I am a man
And I can change
If I have to
I guess

Red Green

DirtyPierre
1st Nov 2004, 09:49
Bugger! All we get of Canadian TV in Oz is Degrassi High - Next generation. Once stayed in the same hostel in Galway (Salmon Weir Hostel, run by an Aussie Paul and a Canadian) as Caitlan, just missed her by a week.

Haven't met a Canadian I haven't liked.

Jerricho
1st Nov 2004, 13:34
What about Celine Dion?

cossack
1st Nov 2004, 16:12
What about her?

Trailer Park Boys gets my vote!

Jerricho
1st Nov 2004, 16:56
I'll give you a hint:

Haven't met a Canadian I haven't liked.

:E

Wino
1st Nov 2004, 18:25
I have had a few canadian shows that were fav's of my time over the years (as opposed to USA shows shot in Canada like X Files and I think Stargate)

The BIZARRE show (showing John Biner)
Adderly (the show about the spy with one hand from "miscilaneous affairs")
SCTV (I think, or maybe they were just from minneapolis, kinda the same thing)

Terrance and Philip :E :E :E :E :E :E

Cheers
Wino

Jerricho
1st Nov 2004, 19:16
Terrance and Philip

That's raight budday. Hoows aboot we get some Kraft Dinnar.

DirtyPierre
1st Nov 2004, 21:59
Never met Celine Dion, can't stand her music, and I think she should probably eat a little more, but she is still probably a nice person.

Mike Myers is canadian isn't he? Loved his movie "So I married an ax murderer". Start of the scottish accent that launched Fat Bastard and Shrek.

redsnail
1st Nov 2004, 22:24
DP, yep, Mike Myers is Canadian and so is Pamela Anderson. :D

pigboat
2nd Nov 2004, 00:02
According to their website, Red Green is available in Oz on the comedy channel.

DirtyPierre
3rd Nov 2004, 01:17
Got the optus basic package, mainly for the rugby but also for the english FA. Hence, no comedy channel.

Question: Is all of Pamela Anderson from Canada?

Willie Everlearn
3rd Nov 2004, 10:50
What about those three little words men find so hard to say???

(I don't know.)

:D

pigboat
3rd Nov 2004, 14:25
Question: Is all of Pamela Anderson from Canada?
No, I think she has some plastic from Hong Kong in there somewhere. ;)

goates
3rd Nov 2004, 22:43
No, I think she has some plastic from Hong Kong in there somewhere.

It depends on the month. At the moment I think it's all in there, but it might come out again.

Elliot Moose
5th Nov 2004, 01:55
Jim Carey, William shatner, Michael J. fox, Peter Jennings, Shania Twain, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Lorne Green, Dan Akroyd, Paul Shaffer, Dave Foley, Tommy Chong, Hume Cronyn, Raymond Burr, Leslie Nielson,Keanu Reeves, Matthew Perry, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Priestly, Norm MacDonald, Eric McCormick, Phil Hartman, Brendan Fraser......

But seriously though. For me it's a close tie between Corner Gas and The Trailer Park Boys for sitcoms du Canada these days.

"A dope trailer ain't no place for a kitty":}

DirtyPierre
6th Nov 2004, 04:17
Jim Carey, William shatner, Michael J. fox, Peter Jennings, Shania Twain, John Candy, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Lorne Green, Dan Akroyd, Paul Shaffer, Dave Foley, Tommy Chong, Hume Cronyn, Raymond Burr, Leslie Nielson,Keanu Reeves, Matthew Perry, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Priestly, Norm MacDonald, Eric McCormick, Phil Hartman, Brendan Fraser......

Mate, some of these guys I've never heard of!

goates
6th Nov 2004, 05:39
Mate, some of these guys I've never heard of!

And some you don't want to. :}

goates