PDA

View Full Version : Bad Driving Record

My names Turkish
30th Oct 2004, 17:24
A friend of mine who is UK resident and with a UK driving licence, was chatting with me yesterday and we came across this Topic.

He was caught 2 years or so ago, at 110 m.p.h on the Motorway late at night. The judge allowed him to keep his driving licence because he was in Training for his ATPLs but gave him six points. Recently he was caught doing 90m.p.h on a 60 m.p.h Dual Carriageway. He will have to go to court again and it looks as though his licence will be going on a holiday for a few months.

I don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of the offenses, I would rather pull the thread. Jet Blast has at least one of those a week running.

What might be the affects of these convictions when and if the time comes for a job interview. I know in the US it is a big deal and even your flying licence can be pulled, but because we are talking about the UK here, what are the effects in the UK alone?

MMEMatty
1st Nov 2004, 13:17
The way i see it (and this is from someone with no connections to Pro flying, nothing to do with recriutment etc, nothing but a wannabe), the impressions i get from talking to people is that the selectors and interviewers are looking for any excuse to bin people. Basically i wouldnt expect your friend to get a job untill at least he gets his licence back, and possibly untill the points are wiped off. That shouldnt stop him applying, however, he might be lucky, but he should at least be prepared.

Someone else may be able to confirm, but i think Brittania and Ryanair ask specifically for Driving offences?

I know it sounds harsh, but that is just MY opinion / impressions.

Matty

witchdoctor
1st Nov 2004, 18:49
Well, aside from the difficulty your friend may have in actually getting to work without his/her own transport, I suspect that most employers would look unfavourably on the convictions as it is perhaps indicative of a risk-taking personality type which some airlines may disapprove of and be unwilling to take the chance of offering employment and very expensive training (assuming we are talking about a relative newbie) to someone who may have an unhealthy disregard for the regs and company SOPs.

That said, most of us have done it to varying degrees of excess and with varying frequency, and maybe your friend will find a recruiter with a similar background who looks beyond the conviction and may consider it irrelevant.

Either way, they haven't done anything to enhance their job prospects.

GoldenMonkey
1st Nov 2004, 19:49
Hmmm, so does a less severe offence go against you?
How does 3 points on your driving licence sound?
Also, does anyone know whether it is a definite exclusion, or just another factor that the airlines take into account?

WX Man
1st Nov 2004, 21:49
In the words of a Virgin training captain I was talking to the other day on the same subject:

"good man!!!"

= at the end of the day, it depends on the mood of the interviewer and the interviewer's own experience of the subject. In this case, the VIR guy lived 2h away from base and regularly tackled an underused motorway to get to work. Go figure...

In my case, if I had convictions for driving then to the question "do you have a driving licence", the answer is "no- I live close to the shops and cycle everywhere else". Which, actually, isn't too far from the truth.