PDA

View Full Version : RAF Regimemt Take Honours in USA.

Styron
30th Oct 2004, 10:44
British team shoots to top at Defender Challenge 2004

by Gary Emery
Air Force Security Forces Center Public Affairs (USAF)

Link to Story
CLICK HERE (http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123009060)

http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/web/041025-F-6701P-023.JPG
LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas -- Senior Master Sergeant Glynn Davis fires a 9 mm Beretta during the pistol and shotgun competition Oct. 25 at Defender Challenge 2004. It is an annual worldwide security forces competition held here. Sergeant Davis is assigned to the 568th Security Forces Squadron at Ramstein Air Base, Germany. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Justin D. Pyle)

10/29/2004 - LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- An eight-person British team took home the top award at the worldwide security forces competition Defender Challenge 2004 held here Oct. 22 to 28.

The Royal Air Force Regiment took first in the grueling fitness challenge event and third in the Sadler Cup tactical exercise. These wins earned them the coveted Defender Challenge Champion trophy. Only three points out of a possible 300 separated the top three teams.

The Air Mobility Command team won the Sadler Cup event, which required teams to find and neutralize a terrorist threat hidden in about 2.5 square miles of rugged terrain. The team’s sharpshooters, Staff Sgt. Bracy Taylor and Airman 1st Class Christopher Weichman from the 92nd Security Forces Squadron at Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash., were the deadliest duo of the competition, using their M-24 sniper rifle and laser range finder to zap every aggressor troop on the playing field. As a result, their team suffered no casualties in the event.

The Coleman Cup, earned by the top shooters in the combat weapons event, went to the federal agents of the Department of Energy. The mission of the DOE agents is to protect nuclear materials and weapons while in storage or transit. Firing the M-4 rifle, M-249 squad automatic weapon and M-240B machine gun, the agents blasted targets at a withering rate.

While Defender Challenge is primarily a team event, one defender rose above all others this year, impressing judges and fellow competitors alike. Second Lt. Benjamin Washburn, the Air Force Space Command team leader, paced his troops to second place in the fitness challenge and Sadler Cup. As a result, the team was only narrowly beaten by the British team.

Lieutenant Washburn, from the 90th SFS at F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo., also placed second in the M-4 rifle individual marksmanship competition and won the chief’s challenge individual obstacle course run. His leadership was recognized with the Royal Air Force Regiment Commandant General’s Award and Chief of Staff Ultimate Warrior Award.

rivetjoint
30th Oct 2004, 15:03
Surely the RAF Regiment is more aligned to AFSOC than general SF sqns so you'd expect them to win everytime?

Gainesy
30th Oct 2004, 16:03
Well done lads.
The Rocks are on a Roll!

Stupid Boy
30th Oct 2004, 18:41
Who cares who it is that beats the Spams! Congratulations to all the Rocks concerned. Contrary to what they may think, the Yanks do not rule the world at everything :ok:

Always_broken_in_wilts
30th Oct 2004, 20:11
Wonderful...................now please explain why they are not inflicting IDT/IRT and all the other associated b@ll@cks that rest of the light blue "pongoe wannabe's" inflict on ordinary working folk:}........ Or on gate guard where they feckin belong!

The sight of my Flight Cdr in the prone position probing for mines in a Rock Ape Sand Pit just proves to me that dog, tail and wag have all got seriously confused........................I look forward to the peurile justification that blunt people often use to justify this thorny issue but after 30 years service the only time I have ever needed my S10 is courtesy of our "Rgy Mental Fiends".........the only people who form NO PART of UK Airfield Defence on a day to day basis are.........and if u want to be seriously f@cked about a day at the rockery wins hands down:ok:

not withstanding the above ...........Like the Ryder Cup tho anyone beating the Yanks in their own back yard is still a result..................:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

The Burning Bush
30th Oct 2004, 21:53
Well done lads the hard trg obviously paid off:ok:

ABIW - change the tape mate, you're getting boring now:zzz:

rivetjoint
31st Oct 2004, 07:39
But one that must be answered if you are to attract a new generation of enthusiastic members into the Service these days.

Green Bottle 2
31st Oct 2004, 08:39
Well done to the RAF Regt.

ABIW. I have made good use of the IDT/IRT/CCS trg that we have to do year in year out. I have been in several situations where if it had all gone up the spout, probing for mines might have been a necessary skill that could have saved a life. I have donned my respirator in anger. I have also seen some of the C130 bretheren in similar situations. Whilst we are not infantry soldiers we are also 'not civilians in uniform'.

Better to have practised some of these skills in the safe environment of the rockery than trying to read the guidebook whilst on Ops in the middle of a minefield.

(For the record I don't feel the urge to don my cabbage kit and go running about the bondu in my spare time).

GB2

Bunker Mentality
31st Oct 2004, 10:57
Good Show!

Glad to see that noone has been iso tasteless as to mention the impending doom of the RAF Regt Rapier force.

Woops! :uhoh:

Cambridge Crash
31st Oct 2004, 22:26
Several years ago whilst on a det at PSAB KSA, the small RAF det took up the glove to participate in Defender Challenge with the USAF SF Personnel. A misfit bunch of half a dozen RAF chaps and chapesses took part - and to use the columbia vernacular, we whuped their @rses! I led the team (twice the age of the US contingent) and cheated like fcuk by insisting that my weapon was the L9A1. Nonetheless, running in the dersert in skirmish order with helmet is hard work, but I was shocked to see the buffed americans falling like flies, and I observed several struggling to strip and reassemble their weapons - and these were their 'top' security force personnel. Six weeks later, we repeated the challenge, and the RAF team was first, followed by the CHESM team (Cheese eating surrender monkeys), then the US teams. The challenge was quietly dropped after that....

Well done the Regiment!

Echo 5
1st Nov 2004, 19:39
Now then Wilts,

Sorry about the late response but some of us have to work for a living.

Nice to see that you're posting total bollocks again:

" Or on gate guard where they feckin belong!"

Time you got some ground time in, preferably in a hot and sandy place. You might then appreciate how the ground bound folks operate.

Regards to all (well most)

E5:D

PS: Well done Rocks.

ShyTorque
1st Nov 2004, 19:45
Well done the Rocks!

Quick, someone, make it an Olympic sport..... :ok:

ZH875
1st Nov 2004, 20:07
Quick, someone, make it an Olympic sport..... No point, Tony B-liar & co have banned gun based sports, so you can only practice overseas....

...So that's why all our troops are going overseas, Uncle Tony wants an Olympic Shooting Team Gold Medal.:rolleyes: