PDA

View Full Version : instructor courses

happydriver
30th Oct 2004, 06:28
g'day guys.....i've been away from the industry for a while know but have actually always been interested in instructing but have been deterred by the financial rewards that it entails!!...recently been looking upwards (at the sky) again and the idea has been floating around again in my mind...was wondering if i can get feedback on the current state of instructing and good schools to look into....or for a matter of fact should i just leave the idea floating around in my head...

any feedback would be great..:ok:

McRippy
30th Oct 2004, 07:24
here we go let the slagging begin

locusthunter
31st Oct 2004, 22:16
was wondering if i can get feedback on the current state of instructing

...If you read long enough occassionally some ppruner comes up with some ridiculous whine about there being no experienced instructors anymore, Wah Haw! This is BS- there are plenty of unemployed Grade 1s and 2s ...On the up side of it- various operators have been advertising for instructors lately...

good schools to look into....

...the big ones with overseas contracts- they are not relying on hoodwinking young Aussies for their work. Their clients are being trained up to actually go and fly for a living. There may be more opportunity at larger schools to get work after your rating.
Make sure you are in the best position to get your 100 hours ab-initio instruction after completing your course- unfortunately most operators believe that you are not much value to an organistaion until you get those hours.

....or for a matter of fact should i just leave the idea floating around in my head...

Look at all your options ...is it possible to have a good job and instruct on the weekends...enjoy a good salary but also enjoy teaching people to fly? Some junior grade 3s struggle to get full-time employment anyway.
If you have a lot fo hours and experience, larger schools will probably like you (maybe for teaching theory)!

Generally...(up onto soapbox)...

There seems to be a common belief that too many instructors:
a) are getting their own hours for the airlines
b) get jaded by the low pay and demanding nature of the job
c) get sick of talking to wannbes who mess them around
d) never wanted to 'teach' in the first place- see point 1
e) haven't done enough flying in the 'real world' and don't know what they are talking about.

However, there are plenty of instructors in the industry who have:
a) a passion for teaching people a new skill
b) love flying and are committed to maintaining excellent standards
c) have a wealth of aviation knowledge from diverse backgrounds, practical experience and study
d) are committed to giving the best training to the student regardless of the operators committment.
e) truely want to see their students succeed in their endeavours.

I would like to ask every Instructor candidate- what are your reasons for wanting to instruct?

I'll step off my soap-box now...hope this helps, good luck in your decision.

:ok:

Aussie
1st Nov 2004, 13:08
Mate, ill tell you why most want to instruct, including myself to a degree, is because its so hard to get a start, and instructing is probably the easiest way!

Im sure many would agree...

locusthunter
1st Nov 2004, 22:17
Mate, ill tell you why most want to instruct, including myself to a degree, is because its so hard to get a start, and instructing is probably the easiest way!

"easiest way"...sure, no problem... but that is probably many people do slag off "the instructor"...Many people look for the "easy way" to airlines- they are not interested in putting in the hard yards anywhere- including in their instructing job.

:D

Aussie
2nd Nov 2004, 12:12
Locusthunter, Yes you are absolutly right there too.

A lot of instructors dont even have any interest in instructing, they get hrs and run!
But like i said, when you cant get a go anywhere else, or the only job you can get is dropping canopies for free...well people go to instruct. Probably not the best for prospective student, but thats the way this industry operates.

Aussie

happydriver
3rd Nov 2004, 17:49
Thanks guys for you posts and pm's..much appreciated.I think things have'nt changed all that much since way back when..but i tend to agree with loc..that if you want to instruct you better find a job that can pay the bills and then some...so you can actually enjoy the instructing....keep looking i guess.:ok:

nzmarty
9th Nov 2004, 08:25
but don't be one of the instructors that people avoid because of your attitude/delivery/temperment. spending $150 an hour - i'll choose the best instructor i can get thanks. if you don't want to teach, find something else to build hours. cripes - even glider towing!