PDA

View Full Version : Speed Cameras

Spikeee
29th Oct 2004, 21:36
Only kidding! … I wonder how many people swore when they saw that topic!

Sorry :p

Anyway! I had my first (hopefully last) aviation incident today :(

I recently bought a RC plane; the Aerobird Xtreme, only an electric one for a bit of fun!

The websites all said things like – don’t buy unless your experienced with RC a/c. One said ‘don’t buy unless you’re a veteran RC pilot’ or something along those lines!

I bought it anyway as I thought … how different can it be to flying a normal a/c!

It was going really well considering I hadn’t flown an RC a/c before!

It flew reallllly far away! So I turn it back toward me and let it go downwind of where I was standing! I was surprised by the lack of manoeuvrability!

My heart jumped every time I did a turn of manoeuvre so I decided to bring it closer! I take the power totally off as it was climbing and climbing! The jets above were getting a little worried! (not really)

Anyway! As I try and turn it back things start going a bit off! So I compose myself and bring the nose down towards me! All of a sudden things just went down the pan! I totally misjudged the perspective and noticed it going into a tree! I applied full power and tried to climb it above the tree but then there was …what seemed to be endless crunching and cracking as it went into this HUGE tree! I mean like the biggest tree you’ve ever seen! (possibly not, but it was still 30-50ft tall!) and the bugga was wedged right near the top and in the outer branches!

The tree was near a barrier which I could use to climb the tree! I’m quite good at climbing trees so I climb it! Wow was it high! I get above a very sharp fence and am running out of stable branches so I concede to the tree and climb down! :(

We go home and come back with 7 pieces of 10ft copper pipe and many other long ‘things’ and nip the shop for some gas tape! It was only half inch pipe so by the time it was like 30ft long it was like a wand!

About 2 hours later, lots of teamwork and lots of cuts and bruises we get it out! It only sustained minor damage considering the impact, various jabbing and falls! – the undercarriage was bent but its only wire so can be bent back! I was very very impressed!

Lessons learned! … listen to the manufacturers advice and don’t fly tired!

I wouldn’t mind so much but we were on a race course car park which was huge! … no cars, don’t worry!

If I get time tomorrow I’ll give it another go! Hopefully will find somewhere more suitable though! I’d go the beach but the wind will probably be too strong :P

I just had the urge to share that with you all! We were so lucky to get it back when I think about it! Was going to call the fire brigade out! (joke)

Spikeee

MadsDad
29th Oct 2004, 23:00
Spikee

The fire brigade would have come out but would have charged you (I don't know how much it is now but the last time I was involved in a non-emergency call it was £125, about 10 years ago.)

I was on a steam engine that had run out of water and glueing the boiler back together would have cost a lot more. If we could have found all the bits.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
29th Oct 2004, 23:40
The fire brigade would have come out but would have charged you (I don't know how much it is now but the last time I was involved in a non-emergency call it was £125, about 10 years ago.)

I was on a steam engine that had run out of water and glueing the boiler back together would have cost a lot more. If we could have found all the bits.

They charged you to top up a gasping steam engine? No soul, those fire brigade folk :*

SSD

MadsDad
30th Oct 2004, 19:33
Yes, they will for non-emergencies (if we hadn't paid we would have had to throw the fire out and would have had a load of very unhappy passengers).

Was mildly ausing when they turned up. Boss fireman comes along with big smirk, "Bit short of water eh. Well we've got 2,500 litres for you. How much of that do you want".
Me, after look at tank gauge, "Oh, about 1,100 gallons" (we did have 100 gallons spare at that pint).
"Oh bugger. Get the hoses out lads".