PDA

View Full Version : Flightdeck decisions

RPeagram
29th Oct 2004, 20:39
Just a couple of questions:

1) If I'm a first officer flying alongside a tired and/or a experienced captin who wants to land below minima, what shoudl I do?

2) What actions can I take, as a pilot, to lower the cost of a flight. Apart from taking a pay cut.

Any help will be kindly recived.
Regards,
RP

jonathang
30th Oct 2004, 00:54
Hi these sound like interview questions.

I have been asked these before and can give you my answers. But nothing 100% correct.

1) If I'm a first officer flying alongside a tired and/or an experienced captain who wants to land below minima, what should I do?

Bring it to his/her attention as it may have been overlooked. That should solve it because he will not be happy about breaking SOP's against the FO. If he still continues to go ahead with the approach and you are not happy. Tell captain that it is reportable. Give an alternative solution i.e. We could divert too..

2) What actions can I take, as a pilot, to lower the cost of a flight? Apart from taking a pay cut.

Reduce engine running time. Slow taxiing for example wasting fuel.

Decent planning. Plan to glide her down without restoring much power saves on fuel burn.

Attempt to avoid step descents and step climbs with ATC. Continuous climbs much better than leveling out.

Stay high as possible as long as possible.

Take advantage of jet streams, tail winds in the cruise.

Tanker fuel from a cheaper departure airfield to a more expensive arrival one. So you reduce the uplift of expensive fuel.

Have the traffic load (passengers + bags + cargo) loaded in a way to reduce fuel burn. i.e. rear Centre of Gravity in most aircraft.

Reduce down time for tech delays and ground handling delays as the airline is paying for every minute on the stand.
As much as £1600 an hour.

Hope this helps

Feel free to correct me. These worked for me.

411A
30th Oct 2004, 01:58
< Tell the Captain that it is reportable. >

Hmmm, that'll work.
I can think of at least two companies where this will report the concerned co-pilot right out of a job, if done in writing....such is the influance of some Captains with management.

Better to have a brief word with the concerned fleet manager.

Word...as in spoken.

Gin Slinger
30th Oct 2004, 12:06
1) Say 'go-around', loudly and clearly :confused: :confused:. What else can you say unless your man has indicated he has adequate visual reference and can make a safe landing from the approach? At very least, if something untoward happens, the CVR will admonish you as F/O from any blame.

Personally, as a very junior co-pilot, if after the event, assuming nothing really unpleasant occurred, unless the Capt apologised fulsomely, saying he made a mistake and would never do it again, depending on the exact circumstances I share my concerns with a trusted person who was much senior to me, for example a friendly Training Capt, possibly initially at least deidentifying the Capt concerned with the incident.

Can anyone more experienced comment on what I've said?

RPeagram
31st Oct 2004, 11:52
Thank you very much for your comments. Any others would also be appreciated. Just finally, what pilot attributes do you beleive pilots will need or need more so in the future?

Note: This is a generic question which could spark some interesting dicussion. I have researched this topic myself but no research could compare with asking exsisting professional pilots. Please do not cut me down for wasting your time and/or being lazy. Any comments will be very welcome.

Discuss:
RP

Vee One...Rotate
1st Nov 2004, 09:54
Hmmm...definately textbook cadetship/airline interview questions...!

I think a lot of them simply require common sense answers...they'll spot an over-rehearsed robotic answer a nautical mile away I reckon :)

I've come across lots of discussion on PPRuNe about such questions - a search should get you all the info you're after...and more.

Regards,

V1R

Avenger
2nd Nov 2004, 09:27
Regarding the crusty, highly experienced Captain wanting to descend below minima, the correct action in our SOPs would be to :

1) Advise Him/Her that descent below minima is a breach of SOPs and illegal

2) If the approach is continued, place your hands on the thrust levers and say " I have control,.... going around"

3) Sort the next issues in the hold or when re-positioning for another approach.

The question of who retains control after the go-around and when the a/c is stable again is a bit more ambiguous, however, on the two ocassions this type of incident has arisen, the FO retained control for the subsequent landing.

All the banter about crew room atmosphere afterwards, what happens if you have to fly the next sector together is a red herring if both people are professionals

Boeing Freak
2nd Nov 2004, 15:51
to me it is quite simple...

announce that you are going around on the radio. What good does that do you might ask. Well you have just cancelled your landing clearance!

Better be right though...