PDA

View Full Version : Disproportionate angles

candoo
29th Oct 2004, 19:22
Am not technically knowledgeable regarding hi-fi, TV etc....

Had to change my rented TV as the last one was on the blink after 5 years of an infrequent but nevertheless enjoyable relationship. Always had crystal clear picture especially for the sports and, more importantly, nobody was fat.

I have been forced to take a widescreen jobbie as apparently true flat screen TV's with a recognisable aspect ratio no longer exist.

My whole world has collapsed - Kylie has a bigger bottom than I thought possible, Mrs Candoo informs me that Fern Britten is larger than life, even Stan Laurel looks far more portly than I thought possible.

Have I been mislead all this time, as the guy installing insisted, what is it with these things. I am beginning to think I need an eyetest as most of my current maties also have one and profess to be extremely happy!!!

By the way I'm also getting headaches watching the rugby.

Your comments appreciated.

tony draper
29th Oct 2004, 19:28
Most good quality wide screens have what they call smart aspect ratio they ajust so what you describe does not happen, you may find a manual setting that is switched to wide screen, this is only for watching wide screen movies, not normal TV progs, I can even watch mine in the old aspect ration if I choose to,but that would be daft as half the screen is blank,besides one quickly gets used to watching wide screen and the old aspect ratio tellys begin look weird.
:rolleyes:

Feeton Terrafirma
30th Oct 2004, 08:18
Given that my eyes see about a 43 degree field of view in a circular pattern I fail to see what a wide screen TV does for me?

I cant see a 80 cm wide picture without noticing that the 45 cm height is missing something like part of the picture. At least with the apparently old fashioned 4:3 ratio I could better utilise the sight the gods gave me.

ORAC
30th Oct 2004, 09:17
The brain is a wonderful thing. The human eye has a small focal area which it sweeps in a raster like scan and the brain then "stitches" the picture together so that we "see" the world. The things that move are swept more often and this is triggered by the peripheral vision which is excellent at detecting motion. Which is why people can miss obvious changes to their normal environment until they are pointed out, the brain has just filled in the relevent part of the scene from memory rather than bothering to scan and refresh.

You will, no doubt, have heard of the experiment where a cinema audience were told to concentrate on counting the number of ball passes in a volleyball game - and totally missed seeing the person in a gorilla costume pass through the scene. When told about it and the film was rerun they insisted that it was a different film...

However, back to the point.

Some television stretch the 4x3 picture to 16x9 equally across the screen making people look short and fat. The BBC did experiments based on how the brain processes data and found that if you left the picture at the centre of the screen at the correct ratio but progressively increased it towards the edge people found it looked better. Whilst the stretching was worse at the edges, the brain didn't register it. They patented the technology and licence it.

The point? Whilst all widescreens TVs stretch the 4x3 picture, not all do it the same way. Try them out before buying. As mentioned above, you should have a mode for displaying 4x3 with black bands down the side. But I guarantee you won't stay with it for more than a few minutes.

Feeton Terrafirma
30th Oct 2004, 11:25
I dont like the thought of having the outer part of my eyeballs stretched so I'll just stick with the 4:3 tv. After all 99% of what I watch is in 4:3 format anyway

Dop
30th Oct 2004, 12:45
My widescreen TV (a Sony) has a smart mode which works out how the programme is being broadcast and adjusts to it. So stuff in 4:3 format is shown in 4:3 format (in the centre of the screen with black bars down the sides), and widescreen stuff is shown in widescreen format.
When you're watching a programme in 4:3 format, but the adverts are broadcast widescreen, it automatically switches from one to the other!
Clever that.

Widescreen is the thing to have. Especially if you like watching movies.

tony draper
30th Oct 2004, 12:50
Once yer had a widescreen woman theres no going back to the tall skinny ones anyway.
:rolleyes:

ontrackfor
31st Oct 2004, 01:58
By the way I'm also getting headaches watching the rugby.
Are you stressing about the All Blacks end of year tour? Just relax and accept that your winning streak is coming to an end and the headaches will go away.

Feeton Terrafirma
31st Oct 2004, 01:53
dudduddud!! :p

BlueWolf
31st Oct 2004, 02:27
All broadcast is in widescreen format here now anyway.

But with Marshall and Merhts out of the touring squad, I wouldn't be too sure about those headaches:uhoh:

ontrackfor
31st Oct 2004, 13:47
busted!

All Blacks beatable hot off the heels of the most intense domestic rugby competition anywhere? If anything, id be worried that they might not have had time to cool off their brakes.

[posted to draw attention to the original topic rather than hyjacking and general razzing]

candoo
31st Oct 2004, 13:54
Hmmm - have tried playing with remote (why so many bleeding buttons) with regard to aspect ratio, now my screen changes sizes every few minutes depeding on the camera view.

Makes headache worse.

Sergio Garcia just hooked a ball around an impossibly wide tree to land a birdie chance. The holes are a lot bigger than they used to be.

Gimme back me valve TV, it also heated the house during the upcoming winter months.